2016/17 KHSAA Sweet 16 State Tournament Preview

Page 2 of The 2016/17 season has pretty much came and gone. We are now headed to the 2016/17 KHSAA Sweet 16 State Tournament that will start next Wednesday. Two ... 29 comments | 4704 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Nov 14
    Posts
    391

    Baker or no Baker, I think Meade is up against it vs Cooper. Im a big fan and I hope he shows very well in front of the big crowd at Rupp, but the rest of the team is extremely limited. Outside Apollo and Catholic, I don't think any 3rd region team would have made a showing at Rupp and even those two would have been long shots.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    Mr. Sixer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Location
    Coalinga, CA
    Posts
    1,083

    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan01 View Post
    If I recall correctly, Baker's initial injury occurred in the Beechwood game. Also, the head coach pulled some starters early in that game (somewhat due to Baker's injury and some due to a lack of execution). I believe he was trying to make a point to the team. I doubt Baker played more than a quarter of that game. Baker suffered a more severe injury to the same hand the following day. I don't think the Beechwood game is a good measure at all.

    Also, I've seen Hudl video of the two star guards at Cooper. Very, very impressive indeed. However, I do not believe that either of those kids have the potential to impact a game the way that Baker can when his game is on. Sure there have been opposing star players who have outplayed Baker on occassion, but I haven't seen anyone who has the "potential" to take control of a game the way Baker can.
    Again, I won't disagree with anything you've stated about Meade, haven't seen them play so I won't. However if you think that Cooper is simply built around 2 players you are going to be very surprised. You stated you watched Hudl and don't believe their won't be players to impact the game like Baker and you certainly may be right but I think you might want to look a little more closely how this team plays defense. In case you weren't aware, one of those star players you spoke of missed 12 games and the TEAM went 11-1. I'm not being critical, but I saw where when Baker went down Meade lost 14 in a row. That lets me know the overall might not be as strong.
    Cooper played Dunbar and while Hollingsworth had a great game and scored a lot of points Cooper found a way to win the game through tough defense. Oh yeah that game and the rest of the Lex Cath tourney was won by Cooper without one of those star players.
    Not making any predictions but I do know that Cooper will play tough defense and ANY of their starting 5 can go for 15-20 points and all 5 have been the leading scorer in at least one game this year.

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Posts
    1,528

    I don't see BGreen blowing out Graves Co.. The Eagles have been playing very well the last month or so.. Not sure they have enough to beat the Purples, but, I do think they'll be much more competitive than given credit for.. Their 7' footer could cause some problems..

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    3,485

    Is that a typo that Meade had lost 20 of 25 games prior to the region but won the region title ? Good golly is that region that bad ?

  5. #20
    brooksville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Location
    10th Region
    Posts
    525

    Is it true they closing the end zone areas where the pep section sits so Rupp Arena will look more full?

  6. #21
    BigVMan23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Location
    Near Frankfort
    Posts
    8,881

    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan01 View Post
    If I recall correctly, Baker's initial injury occurred in the Beechwood game. Also, the head coach pulled some starters early in that game (somewhat due to Baker's injury and some due to a lack of execution). I believe he was trying to make a point to the team. I doubt Baker played more than a quarter of that game. Baker suffered a more severe injury to the same hand the following day. I don't think the Beechwood game is a good measure at all.

    Also, I've seen Hudl video of the two star guards at Cooper. Very, very impressive indeed. However, I do not believe that either of those kids have the potential to impact a game the way that Baker can when his game is on. Sure there have been opposing star players who have outplayed Baker on occassion, but I haven't seen anyone who has the "potential" to take control of a game the way Baker can.
    Cooper D's it up like you wouldn't believe. I'm not sure how well that might comes thru just viewing Hudl on-line. It's going to take a very very good team/performance to beat Cooper IMO, and I just don't think Meade Co. is that team.

  7. #22
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    19,612

    Quote Originally Posted by brooksville View Post
    Is it true they closing the end zone areas where the pep section sits so Rupp Arena will look more full?
    No. Graves Co was selling end zone seats.

  8. #23
    All State Baseball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 12
    Location
    Wrigley Field
    Posts
    17,175

    Quote Originally Posted by Manitoudan View Post
    Is that a typo that Meade had lost 20 of 25 games prior to the region but won the region title ? Good golly is that region that bad ?
    It's no typo. From Dec. 22-Feb. 4th they were 0-14. They upset Daviess County 60-58 on Feb. 4th then went on another 5 game losing streak before beating Breckinridge County 63-54 in the opening round of the district tournament. They lost the district title game to Hancock County 61-60 then defeated Edmonson county 64-53, Owensboro Catholic 46-42 and Daviess County 52-50 to win the region title...Daviess County (21-13) and Owensboro Catholic (22-11) both had winning records but both also had 9 region losses...at seasons end

  9. #24
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    19,612

    Quote Originally Posted by Manitoudan View Post
    Is that a typo that Meade had lost 20 of 25 games prior to the region but won the region title ? Good golly is that region that bad ?
    No typo. Best players was out most of the year and returned for districts.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    3,485

    How many were out ? and what is their current record ?

  11. #26
    All State Baseball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 12
    Location
    Wrigley Field
    Posts
    17,175

    13-21

  12. #27
    I gotta go to work's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 11
    Posts
    1,616

    Quote Originally Posted by brooksville View Post
    Is it true they closing the end zone areas where the pep section sits so Rupp Arena will look more full?
    Scott also selling end zone seats.

  13. #28
    Mr. Sixer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Location
    Coalinga, CA
    Posts
    1,083

    Quote Originally Posted by Manitoudan View Post
    How many were out ? and what is their current record ?
    My understanding is that only one player, Baker, was out. Just what I heard but maybe someone else from that area can confirm 100%.

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    93

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sixer View Post
    My understanding is that only one player, Baker, was out. Just what I heard but maybe someone else from that area can confirm 100%.
    Confirmed. Baker is the only one that I am aware of. We JH faced them twice without Baker. We've played against Baker last year; and although Baker is a tremendous young man and a very good ball player, he's not a take over the game type of player. Meade was fortunate to win in a region that was gonna have trouble whomever they sent to Rupp. Stranger things have happened but I just don't see Meade competing with Cooper in this game

  15. #30
    silo11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Location
    Western KY
    Posts
    2,285

    Interesting things about these teams. Here are notable win streaks and records against other S16 teams:

    Bowling Green - 25 game streak. (2-0)
    Fern Creek - 19 game win streak (5-1)
    Scott County - 22 game streak in state (0-0)
    Hopkinsville - 21 of 22 games in state (3-1)
    Cooper - 24 of 25 games (1-0)
    Graves County - 12 game streak (0-2)
    Harlan County - 14 of 15 games (3-1)
    Ballard - 11 game streak in state (0-4)
    Perry County Central - 11 game streak (2-1)
    Elliot County - 11 game streak (0-0)
    Taylor County - 3 game streak (0-2)
    Pulaski County - 5 game streak (0-2)
    Scott - 3 game streak (0-1)
    Pikeville - 6 game streak (0-1)
    Collins - 3 game streak (0-0)
    Meade County - 3 game streak (0-0)

Top