If you are a fan of 12th Region basketball then this week should be fun for you as it looks to be rivalry week. Friday night is one you don’t want to miss as Pulaski county travels across town to face off against Southwestern and Lincoln County travels to Boyle County. Also, Mercer County travels to Wayne County for a match-up of top 12th Region teams. Pick your venue because you can’t go wrong with this week’s games.
1) Mercer County (16-0) - The Titans continue their unbeaten streak and remain at the top spot in the 12th Region. They are also climbing in the state rankings moving into the #3 position in the BGP top 20 this week. They are the only undefeated team left in the state and this past week they had victories over Danville 78-56 and Burgin 77-22. Will Hager led the way with 21 points against Danville and Trevon Faulkner added 17 points. Hager and Dylan James were top scorers versus Burgin with 15 points apiece. As a team, Mercer County leads the state in margin of victories with an average of 25.5 point differential. They are also in the top 20 in scoring, free throws, 3 point field goals, and rebounding. This week the Titans spend the week on the road traveling to Bourbon County, Wayne County, and Anderson County.
2) Southwestern (12-2) - The Warriors have won 8 games in a row with 3 win coming this past week against West Jessamine 88-67, McCreary Central 75-54, and Danville 70-57. Against West Jessamine, Steven Fitzgerald led the way with 21 points and Peyton Gover added 16 points. In the win versus McCreary, the Warriors had a very balanced team scoring effort with five players scoring 10-11 points. This week the Warriors find themselves ranked #12 in the state and play cross town rival Pulaski County on Friday night. They will also host the Hall of Fame classic Saturday playing Bardstown.
3) Wayne County (9-4) - The Cardinals only played one game this past week and came away with a 70-59 victory at Casey County. Corey Stearns led the way with 20 points, Trey Blevins added 19 points, and Jakson Baker had a double-double with 16 points and 15 rebounds. The Cardinals have a busy week ahead as they travel to McCreary Central, host top ranked Mercer County, and play Hopkinsville in the Hall of Fame Classic at Southwestern.
4) Pulaski County (10-5) – The Maroons started the new year with wins over Somerset 70-53 and Boyle County 59-47, but lost at Rockcastle County 71-79. Riley Hall had 21 points in the victory over Somerset and Treyvon Sylvester had a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds. Against Boyle County, Hall also led the way with 21 points and Sylvester once again had a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds. New comer Joe Saterfield was the leading scorer with 21 points in the loss to Rockcastle County. The Maroons are on the road this week playing at Lincoln County, at Southwestern, and play Montgomery County in the Hall of Fame Classic.
5) Boyle County (11-2) – The Rebels are playing pretty good basketball at this time of year winning seven of their last eight games including a nice win over 13th Region favorite Clay County 66-65. This week they lost at Pulaski county 47-59 but beat Garrard County 51-36. Versus Clay County, Josiah Robbins led the way with 20 points and pulled down 10 rebounds for the double-double. Robbins was also the leading scorer in the loss to Pulaski with 17 points. Colton Elkins had another double-double in the victory over Garrard putting in 17 points and grabbing 12 rebounds. This week it is rivalry week as the Rebels travel to Danville and also play Lincoln County.
6) West Jessamine (9-8) – The Colts split a pair of games last week as they lost to Southwestern 67-88 but beat cross town foe East Jessamine 76-49. Isaiah Okesson was leading scorer versus Southwestern putting in 23 points. Siah Holifield led the way against East Jessamine with 20 points. This week the Colts play at Lexington Christian and host Casey County.
7) Lincoln County (10-6) – The Patriots are starting to find their stride as they begin the new year with three wins. They beat district foe Danville 42-39, Corbin 65-54, and Bryan Station 44-43. Noah Young was leading scorer versus Danville putting in 20 points. Devin Alcorn had a big game versus Corbin leading the way with 29 points. Wade Goode added a double-double with 18 points and 10 rebounds in the victory. This week the Patriots play Pulaski County before traveling to rival Boyle County for a big district match-up.
8) Rockcastle County (11-8) – The Rockets played their way through the 47th District last week losing to Casey County 65-67 but beat Somerset 91-72 and Pulaski County 79-71. John Cornelius was leading scorer in the loss to Casey with 21 points. Versus Somerset, Lucas Gentry led the way with 25 points while Dylan Rowe added 19 points. The Rockets are on the road this week as they travel to East Jessamine and to Casey County.
9) Garrard County (11-6) – The Golden Lions got a pair of win to start the new year beating Powell County 64-59 and Estill County 59-35. They then lost to Boyle County 36-51. Garrard will get the opportunity to rebound from their loss this week as they travel to Whitley County and then face another district foe in Danville Friday night.
10) Danville (7-8) – The Admirals will be looking for their first win of the New Year this week as they host cross town rival Boyle County Tuesday night. Last week they lost to Lincoln county 39-42, Mercer County 56-78, and Southwestern 57-70. They will also be traveling to Garrard County Friday night.
11) Casey County (7-11) - The Rebels got two key wins in district competition over Rockcastle County 67-65 and Somerset 71-56 but lost to Wayne County 59-70 and Bardstown 63-68. This week they play Madison Central, Rockcastle County, and West Jessamine.
12) Somerset (8-8) - The Jumpers struggled this week in district play losing to all three district rivals. They lost to Pulaski County 53-70, Rockcastle County 72-91, and Casey County 56-71. They try to right the ship before the Class A region begins playing this week at Model and again Saturday in the Hall of Fame Classic.
13) East Jessamine (7-12) - The Jaguars were unable to find victory this past week losing to Frankfort 50-69 and West Jessamine 49-76. They only have one game this week playing at home versus Rockcastle County.
14) McCreary Central (4-9) - The Raiders beat Cumberland County 68-52 but lost to district foe Southwestern 54-75. They play Wayne County, Middlesboro, and Lynn Camp this coming week.
15) Burgin (6-6) - The Bulldogs beat Walden 76-29 this past week but lost to Mercer County 22-77 and Fort Knox 61-63. They play Berea, Portland Christian, and St. Patrick this coming week.
16) KY School f/t Deaf (5-8) - The Colonels went 2-2 this past week with wins over two out of state teams in the Kentucky Classic. They play Red Bird at home on Tuesday.
Boyle County (1-0) - at Danville 1/12, Lincoln Co. 1/15
Lincoln County (1-0) - at Boyle Co. 1/15
Garrard County (0-1) - Danville 1/15
Danville (0-1) - Boyle Co. 1/12, at Garrard Co. 1/15
Ky School f/t Deaf (0-0)
Mercer County (3-0) - at W. Jessamine 1/22, E. Jessamine 1/29
West Jessamine (1-1) - Mercer Co. 1/22, E. Jessamine 2/5
East Jessamine (0-2) - at Mercer Co. 1/29, at W. Jessamine 2/5
Rockcastle County (3-1) - at Casey Co. 1/15, at Pulaski Co. 1/19
Pulaski County (2-1) - Casey Co. 1/19, Rockcastle Co 1/29, at Somerset 2/4
Casey County (2-2) - Rockcastle Co. 1/15, at Pulaski Co. 1/19
Somerset (1-4) - Pulaski Co. 2/4
Southwestern (2-0) - McCreary Central 1/21, Wayne Co. 1/29
Wayne County (0-1) -at McCreary 1/12, at Southwestern 1/29, McCreary 2/5
McCreary Central (0-1) - Wayne Co. 1/12, at Southwestern 1/21, at Wayne Co. 2/5