The 11th Region made some noise this week but not in the traditional way! The Frankfort Panthers made a big run all the way to the finals of the All A State Tournament in Richmond this past week! Congrats to the Panthers on an outstanding week and run at the All A! Not to mention some of the top teams in the region are starting to flex their muscle on a state wide stage. Lets check out what happened this week!
TEAM RANKINGS 1. Lexington Catholic (19-2) - The Knights continue to show why they are the prohibitive favorite in the region and one of the top teams in the state. This past week Lexington Catholic picked up 2 wins on the road over quality competition in East Jessamine and Paul Laurence Dunbar. The win over Dunbar puts the Knights at 5-0 in the 43rd District and in the drivers seat for the ever elusive 1 seed in one of the toughest districts in the state. This week Lexington Catholic can lock themselves down as the 1 seed if they go to Tates Creek in their only scheduled game and get a win early in the week.
2. Henry Clay (13-5) - The Blue Devils had a great week picking up 2 road wins over Tates Creek and Trinity and ran their winning streak to 7 games. Henry Clay is starting to show itself as a prime contender for the Region title and a serious threat to Lexington Catholic. This week Henry Clay stays on the road as they travel to Bell County and Lafayette then host Clay County to end the week. Another big week for Henry Clay and a chance to distance themselves from the pack as a top tier team in the region.
3. Frederick Douglass (15-6) - The Broncos climb up some spots this week after an impressive run at the Toyota Classic. Frederick Douglass captured the championship after hard fought wins over Thomas Nelson, Lafayette, and Scott County. Prior to this season Douglass had never defeated Scott County and they have now done it twice in 10 days! Before the Toyota Classic started the Broncos pulled out a close win at Paul Laurence Dunbar to complete a 4-0 week. This week it gets no easier as the Broncos head to Madison Central and then return to Scott County for the third match up with the Cardinals in nearly 2 weeks.
4. Tates Creek (13-7) - The Commodores drop a spot this week after taking 2 losses to high quality opponents in Henry Clay and John Hardin, both of whom are top 20 teams in the state. Tates Creek continues to impress despite the losses this week and is primed to return to the regional tournament for the first time in nearly a decade. This week will be a HUGE chance to solidify their position as they host top 10th Region team George Rogers Clark and 43rd District rival Lexington Catholic. If the Commodores can beat the Knights they would tie them for the 1 seed in the 43rd District.
5. Great Crossing (11-10) - The Warhawks helped to host this past week's Toyota Classic and finished with a 2-1 record with wins over Thomas Nelson and Wayne County and a close upset loss to Lafayette. The Warhawks have a chance to clinch the 1 seed in the 41st District this week as they head to Western Hills early in the week then travel to Madison Southern on the weekend in what could be an interesting match up.
6. Lexington Christian Academy (12-8) - The Eagles havent played much since they fell in the finals of the 11th Region All A Classic but did manage to pick up a game at East Carter this weekend in which they won by double digits. Only one game on the schedule this week as LCA heads to Madison Southern as part of a 6 game road swing.
7. Bryan Station (10-11) - The Defenders continue to improve this season after starting 1-5. This past week Bryan Station picked up a 42nd District win over Sayre then fought hard against Trinity before eventually falling to the defending state champions. This week is a big week for Station as they host PLD and Fern Creek before heading to face off with Scott County.
8. Madison Central (8-11) - The Indians took on the 12th Region this week and finished 1-1 with a win over West Jessamine and a loss to preseason 12th Region favorite Lincoln County. This week Madison Central hosts Frederick Douglass and Trinity before heading to Pikeville over the weekend to take on a tough 15th Region opponent.
9. Scott County (9-10) - The Cardinals hosted the Toyota Classic this past weekend and fell in the championship game to Frederick Douglass by 1 point. Before falling in the finals the Cardinals picked up wins over Myrtle Beach Christian Academy and Marion County. This week the Cards host Bourbon County, Frederick Douglass, and Bryan Station.
10. Frankfort (11-13) - What a week for the Panthers as they went down to Richmond and finished as the All A State Runner Up. Entering the All A Regional tournament the Panthers had lost 9 straight games. This week at the All A the Panthers picked up wins over Bishop Brossart, Owensboro Catholic, and Murray before falling to St. Henry in the championship game. This week Frankfort has one game on the schedule as they travel to Frankfort Christian Academy.
11. Lafayette (7-14) - The Generals make a huge jump this week after finishing the week 3-1 with a win over Scott County and two nice wins in the Toyota Classic over Great Crossing and Marion County and a narrow triple overtime loss to eventual champion Frederick Douglass. This week the Generals head to 43rd District foe Paul Laurence Dunbar and host long time crosstown rival Henry Clay.
12. Western Hills (10-8) - The Wolverines picked up 2 wins this past week over Model and Casey County. This is a HUGE week for Western Hills as they host Great Crossing and head across town to rival Franklin County. If the Wolverines win both of those games they will be tied for the 1 seed in the 41st District.
13. Franklin County (9-10) - The Flyers started the week off with a win over Shelby County but followed that up with back to back losses to North Bullitt and Montgomery County. This week Franklin County hosts Western Hills in a huge 41st District seeding match up, the Flyers end the week with Model.
14. Paul Laurence Dunbar (5-15) - The Bulldogs are in the midst of a 7 game losing streak and dropped both of their games last week to Frederick Douglass and Lexington Catholic. This week Dunbar hosts Lafayette before headed across town to Bryan Station then ending the week with a neutral court game against St. Xavier.
15. Madison Southern (9-9) - The Eagles dropped their only game last week to Montgomery County. This week the Eagles host Boyle County and Lexington Christian before heading to West Jessamine then returning home to face off with Great Crossing. A big week for the Eagles and a chance to jump in the rankings.
16. Berea (12-5) - The Pirates picked up a win in their only game of the week against Jackson County. This week Berea hosts Burgin and Bellevue and heads to Model.
17. Sayre (9-10) - The Spartans won both of their games last week over Paris and Shelby County. Now at full strength the Spartans have a chance to climb up the rankings. This week Sayre plays host to Bethlehem and Nicholas County before playing Owen County on a neutral court at Franklin County.
18. Model (4-14) - The Patriots are in the midst of a 6 game losing streak and dropped 3 games last week to Bourbon County, Whitefield Academy, and Rockcastle County. This week Model plays 4 games as they head to Rockcastle County and Franklin County and host Garrard County and Berea.
19. Frankfort Christian Academy (0-14) - The Royals dropped games to Burgin and Bethlehem last week. This week they host Frankfort and then hit the road to Bracken County, Nicholas County, and Kentucky School for the Deaf.