11th Region Week 11 Review
As we head toward the final week of the regular season all the district seeds are in place and the top teams in the region look to make a push towards that ever elusive region championship. Some big wins for top region teams over the week and the return of a star are the highlights of this week's review.
1. Scott County (27-1) - The Cardinals continued their winning ways this week picking up 2 wins over Woodford County and Clay County and running their winning streak to 14 games in a row. The Cardinals have locked up the 1 seed in the 42nd District and now will get Michael Moreno back for the stretch run. Senior guard Bryce Long scored the 1,500th point of his career this past week as well, congrats to him. This week Scott County finishes out their regular season with Covington Holy Cross and Paul Laurence Dunbar. Can anyone stop the Cardinals and Coach Hicks?
2. Henry Clay (22-5) - The Blue Devils continue to play good basketball and picked up 2 wins this week over Paul Laurence Dunbar and Woodford County. The win over Woodford County came on the road in a highly contested game where the Blue Devils refused to lose and really showed how good of a team they are. Up next Henry Clay hosts Lafayette, heads to GRC, and hosts Taylor County to end the season. Any other year the Blue Devils would be a favorite to make it to Rupp but Scott County stands in their way once again.
3. Frankfort (22-5) - What a great week for the Panthers as they picked up 3 wins over top tier state talent in Danville, Fern Creek, and Ballard. The Panthers have had quite the season under new coach Chris O'Bryan but I would be re missed not to mention previous coach Nick Barton in the development of this outstanding senior class, he deserves a boat load of credit that he wont ever get from the people in downtown Frankfort but nonetheless. Juanya Frank and Johnathan Tillman continue to lead this dangerous Frankfort team. Up next Frankfort heads to Bryan Station and then hosts Madison Southern and Nelson County to end the regular season.
4. Lafayette (17-10) - The Generals started the week with a win over crosstown rival Bryan Station and then headed to Trinity and lost a close one in a game they lead most of the way. The Generals have secured the 1 seed in the 43rd District tournament and are really playing good basketball when it matters the most. After starting the season 3-5 the Generals have won 14 of their last 19 against some of the stiffest competition in Kentucky. Up next Lafayette heads to Henry Clay and then hosts Frederick Douglass to end the regular season.
5. Woodford County (18-9) - The Yellow Jackets dropped 2 tough games this week to Scott County and Henry Clay. No shame in losing to those two teams but the Yellow Jackets are starting to show cracks in the armor lately losing 4 of their last 6. Only one game on the schedule this week as the Yellow Jackets host Nelson County to end the regular season.
6. Madison Central (14-12) - The Indians picked up 2 nice wins this week over Lexington Catholic and Walton Verona. In the win over Lexington Catholic big man Isaiah Cozart poured in 26 points to lead the Indians. In the victory Friday night over Walton Verona, Cozart was neutralized by WV big man Deionte Miles but Que Charlton picked up the slack with 19 points. This week two tough games for the Indians as they host South Laurel and hit the road to Covington Catholic.
7. Lexington Catholic (13-14) - The Knights finished the week 1-1 with a loss to Madison Central but a nice win over Lexington Christian Academy to finish as the 2 seed in the 43rd District tournament. Ben Johnson poured in 40 points against Madison Central and 23 points against LCA for a monster week. Ben continues to prove hes one of the best young players in the state of Kentucky. Up next the Knights travel to Lincoln County and host Wayne County to end the regular season.
8. Lexington Christian Academy (19-9) - The Eagles finished the week 1-1 with a close victory over Tates Creek and a close loss on the road at Lexington Catholic. This past week's results ensure the Eagles will be the 3 seed in the upcoming 43rd District Tournament and will face off with Lexington Catholic once again. To finish off the regular season LCA will hos Trinity and Bryan Station.
9. Paul Laurence Dunbar (11-15) - The Bulldogs started the week off with a 4 point win on the road over Frederick Douglass and then got smoked by Henry Clay to end the week. PLD will be the 4 seed in the 43rd District tournament and face off with Tates Creek to begin postseason play. This week they end the season with a trip to West Jessamine and then host Scott County.
10. Frederick Douglass (12-16) - The Broncos finished the week 2-1 with wins over Tates Creek and Newport Central Catholic and a loss to Bryan Station. The Broncos are a strange case as they have some nice wins this season and some head scratching losses as well. FDHS will be the 4 seed in the upcoming 42nd District tournament. This week they end their season with a trip to GRC and then go across town to face off with Lafayette.
11. Tates Creek (12-13) - The Commodores finished the week 1-2 with an overtime win over Bryan Station and close losses to Lexington Christian and Frederick Douglass. Tates Creek will be the 5 seed in the upcoming 43rd District tournament and face off with PLD in the opening round. To finish the regular season Tates Creek will host Madison Southern and then head to Paris. Two winnable games for the Commodores which could ensure them their first winning regular season since 2010-2011 season.
12. Bryan Station (6-19) - The record does not speak to how far the Defenders have come this season. Coach Hammons has shown great patience and really improved his basketball team. This past week Bryan Station picked up a win on the road over Boyle County and dropped a close game in overtime to Tates Creek. The Defenders will be the 3 seed in the 42nd District tournament and matchup with Henry Clay. To finish their season Bryan Station will host Frankfort and head across town to LCA to end the week.
13. Franklin County (13-13) - The Flyers finished the week 2-1 with a win over Frankfort Christian Academy and a big overtime win over 12th Region favorite Danville then dropped a head scratcher on the road by 30 to North Oldham. Franklin County will host Ryle this week then head to Anderson County to end the regular season.
14. Madison Southern (15-12) - The Eagles dropped their only game last week big to GRC 81-58. The good news for the Eagles is the 44th District draw went in their favor as they drew Berea and will most likely be in the 11th Region tournament when its all said and done. This week Madison Southern hosts Mercer County then heads to Frankfort and Tates Creek to end the season.
15. Model (16-10) - The Patriots are winners of 5 in a row including a win this week over Frankfort Christian Academy. Unfortunately, for Model they drew Madison Central in the first round of the 44th District tournament. To end the regular season Model will host Nicholas County and then head to Jackson County to end the week.
16. Western Hills (9-16) -The Wolverines finished the week 1-1 with a win over Nicholas County and a loss to East Jessamine. Western Hills will be the 4 seed in the upcoming 41st District tournament and face Woodford County. To end the season Western Hills has a full slate of games with a home game against Frankfort Christian Academy then hit the road to Berea, Garrard County, and Wolfe County.
17. Berea (16-11) - The Pirates finished the week 2-1 with wins over Frankfort Christian Academy and St. Patrick and a loss to Estill County. Berea drew Madison Southern in the 44th District tournament. This week to end the regular season Berea will host 3 games with Wellspring Guardians Homeschool team, Western Hills, and Lee County.
18. Sayre (7-20) - The Spartans finished the week 1-2 with a win over Wolfe County and losses to Atherton and Bell County. Sayre will be the 5 seed in the upcoming 42nd District tournament and play Frederick Douglass. To end the season Sayre will head to Kentucky Country Day and host Fleming County to end the week.
GAMES OF THE WEEK
Monday Feb. 11th
South Laurel at Madison Central
Tuesday Feb. 12th
Frankfort at Bryan Station
Lafayette at Henry Clay
Lexington Catholic at Lincoln County
Trinity at Lexington Christian Academy
Thursday Feb. 14th
Henry Clay at George Rogers Clark
Friday Feb. 15th
Madison Central at Covington Catholic
Wayne County at Lexington Catholic