11th Region Week 8 Review
Another week has come and gone in the 11th Region. Scott County continues there run towards an undefeated state schedule but things are getting closer. The top tier teams in the region are starting to challenge the Cardinals without Moreno. Some shake up in our rankings this week as some teams have shown they are ready for the stretch run. Lets get into it!
1. Scott County (21-1) - The Cardinals hosted the Toyota Classic this past week and finished 3-0 with wins over Myrtle Beach Christian(SC), Trinity Catholic(FL), and Woodford County. In the championship game against Woodford County, the Yellow Jackets had a shot in the air for the win at the buzzer but it fell short. This team is talented but wont reach its true heights without the return of Michael Moreno. Word is Michael got out of his cast this week and is slated to return within the next 2-3 weeks. Up next for Scott County they hit the road to Bryan Station and Frederick Douglass for 43rd District matchups.
2. Henry Clay (17-4) - The Blue Devils finished the week 2-0 with wins over Frederick Douglass and Tates Creek. Marques Warrick and Harris Hawkins continue to lead the Blue Devils. Henry Clay has now won 5 in a row and are looking primed for a run in late February. Two big tests coming up for the Blue Devils. Trinity comes to Lexington early in the week back at full strength and then the Blue Devils head to cross town rival Lafayette to end the week.
3. Woodford County (14-5) - The Yellow Jackets had a big week at the Toyota Classic. They knocked off Lafayette in overtime and then ran through Frederick Douglass in the second round before falling by 2 points to Scott County. Woodford County is playing really well right now. Up next a brutal week with home games against Collins and Frankfort before heading to Trinity over the weekend.
4. Lexington Christian Academy (15-6) -The Eagles silenced a lot of doubters this week by claiming ANOTHER 11th Region All A championship. LCA finished the week 2-0 with wins over Frankfort and Model. The win over Frankfort was a big one over a team who was hot as anyone in the region. This week they head to Richmond for the All A state tournament looking to defend their crown. LCA opens up with Owensboro Catholic.
5. Frankfort (15-4) - The Panthers had a rough week in the 11th Region All A Classic. This was the year the Panthers were going to break through and after an opening round win over Frankfort Christian it was looking that way. Unfortunately, for the Panthers they ran into a hot and ready LCA team and fell hard. Frankfort hits the road this week first to Madison Southern and then to Woodford County. If Frankfort can win at Woodford County they will clinch the 1 seed in the 41st District tournament.
6. Lafayette (13-8) - The Generals finished the week 2-1 at the Toyota Classic in Georgetown. They fell in the opening round in overtime to Woodford County then beat a good Wayne County team and Myrtle Beach Christian(SC). This week the Generals host city rivals Paul Laurence Dunbar and Henry Clay.
7. Madison Central (10-9) - The Indians finished the week 2-0 with wins over 12th Region foes West Jessamine and Lincoln County. Isaiah Cozart continues his fantastic season and leading the Indians. Up next Madison Central heads to Frederick Douglass and Trinity in a big game.
8. Lexington Catholic (10-11) - The Knights finished the week 3-0 with wins over Tates Creek, East Jessamine, and Paul Laurence Dunbar. The wins over Tates Creek and Paul Laurence Dunbar really helped Catholic set themselves up nicely to claim the 1 seed in the district tournament. Dont let the record fool you the Knights are playing good basketball and have won 5 of the last 6 games theyve played. Up next the Knights hit the road to Robertson County and Tates Creek.
9. Tates Creek (10-7) - The Commodores have hit a losing streak lately and need to get it going in the right direction soon before the postseason hits. Last week the Commodores finished 0-2 with losses to Henry Clay and Beechwood. Things get no easier this week as they head to GRC, host Lexington Catholic, and then head to Oldham County to end the week.
10. Frederick Douglass (9-10) - The Broncos had a rough week finishing 1-2 at the Toyota Classic. They did beat a good 12th Region Wayne County team but fell to Woodford County and Trinity Catholic(FL). This week is no easier as the Broncos have 4 games all at home against Madison Central, Scott County, Beechwood, and Simon Kenton.
11. Madison Southern (13-8) - The Eagles continue to play well and have won 5 in a row. This past week they went 2-0 with wins over Shelby County and Southwestern. First year head coach Austin Newton really has the Eagles playing well. This week Madison Southern hosts Frankfort in a big game and then heads to West Jessamine.
12. Paul Laurence Dunbar (7-12) - The Bulldogs finished the week 1-2 with losses to Frederick Douglass and Lexington Catholic and a nice win over Lincoln County. The Bulldogs will only go as far as Senior Jarred Gadd will take them. Up next PLD heads to Lafayette and host Bryan Station.
13. Franklin County (10-10) - The Flyers finished the week 1-1 with a double overtime win at Shelby County but for the first time in 29 games and nearly 12 years the Flyers fell to Western Hills. The Flyers have cemented themselves as the 3 seed in the district. Up next Franklin County heads to Indiana to play at Hoosier Gym against Louisville Collegiate.
14. Bryan Station (3-14) - The Defenders were idle last week so not much to report from the north side of Lexington. Up next Bryan Station hosts Sayre, head to PLD, and host Scott County to end the week.
15. Model (11-8) - The Patriots ended the week 1-1 at the 11th Region All A Classic with an opening round win over Sayre before falling to LCA in the finals. This week Model heads to Garrard County and hosts Bourbon County.
16. Western Hills (5-12) - The Wolverines finished the week 1-1 with a loss to Woodford County and a win over Franklin County, their first in 12 years. This week Western Hills host Shelby County and then heads to Owen County.
17. Sayre (4-14) - The Spartans finished the week 1-1 in the 11th Region All A Classic with a win over Berea an a loss to Model. Next up Sayre heads to Bryan Station and hosts Breathitt County.
18. Berea (10-8) - The Pirates only had one game this week as they fell to Sayre in the opening round of the 11th Region All A Classic. This week Berea heads to Jackson County, hosts Frankfort Christian, and heads to Danville Christian.