11th Region Week 3 Review
At this point in the season the only thing certain about the 11th Region is it seems everyone is playing for 2nd place!! Just when you think you have a solid #2 team things go crazy this week and the argument can be made you could put 10 teams in a hat and pull them out randomly to rank 2-12 in this crazy region! Lets get to the nonsense that ensued this past week.
1. Scott County (7-0) - The Cardinals continue to mow down opponents early in the season. This past week they did get a decent test at Lexington Catholic but prevailed by 16 and then ended the week by blasting a struggling Bryan Station by 45 points!! Michael Moreno and Diablo Stewart are leading the Cardinals with the best supporting cast probably in the state. This week Scott County hosts Oldham County, Lafayette, and Fern Creek. All of which are quality opponents but nothing I have seen makes me think any of them will challenge the machine that is the Cardinals right now!!
2. Lexington Christian Academy (6-1) - The Eagles picked up a win early in the week over PLD to move them to 2-0 in the always tough 43rd District and then ended the week with a win at Boyle County. In the victory over Boyle County, Kyle Rode passed current San Diego Padre manager Andy Green as the all time leading scorer in school history. Congrats to Kyle!! This week LCA heads to Louisville for the prestigious King of the Bluegrass where they face off with University Heights and KyKy Tandy in the first round. Should be a big week for the Eagles.
3. Frankfort (5-2) - What a week for the Panthers!! Two big wins over previous #2 Henry Clay and a district win over rival Franklin County. Senior guard Juanya Frank poured in 30 points to lead Frankfort over the Blue Devils. The Panthers improved to 2-0 in the district with a big win over Franklin County on Friday night. This week the Panthers host Boyle County before hitting the road to Western and Boone County.
4. Henry Clay (6-2) - A tough week for our previous #2 team. To start the week the Blue Devils blew an early 12 point lead at Frankfort and then fell on the road to a good Ballard team on Friday before bouncing back with a win Saturday over Paris. This week the Blue Devils host the People's Exchange Bank Holiday Invitational where they matchup with Great Falls, South Carolina in the first round.
5. Woodford County (6-1) - The Jackets continue to climb the rankings and could be higher if not for a head scratching loss at home to an improving Tates Creek team over the weekend. Early in the week Woodford went to GRC and won in convincing fashion then throttled Madison Southern before falling to Tates Creek to end the week. This week the Yellow Jackets host Ashland and St. Xavier.
6. Lexington Catholic (3-5) - The Knights started the week off giving Scott County their closest game to date and then went on the road to Clay County and lost by 2 on a foul call at the end. Shocking for something like that to happen right This week the Knights head to Las Vegas for the Tarkanian Classic against some stellar competiton.
7. Paul Laurence Dunbar (3-3) - The Bulldogs dropped their only game of the week against LCA in a low scoring close typical 43rd District game. The Bulldogs have been off or an extended period of time but start up again this week in the Peoples Exchange Bank Holiday Invitational at Henry Clay with a first round matchup against Butler.
8. Madison Central (4-3) - The Indians finished the week 2-0 with wins over Pulaski County and Christian County. Big man Isaiah Cozart had a nice week including a triple double of 20 points, 12 rebounds, and 10 blocks in the victory over Pulaski County. Up next the Indians hit the road to Louisville for the King of the Bluegrass where they face off with Walton Verona in a matchup of the two best big men in the state of Kentucky. Should be a competitive week for Madison Central.
9. Tates Creek (5-3) - The Commodores are another team that continue to climb the rankings. Tates Creek finished 2-1 on the week. They dropped a close one to Lafayette to begin the week but closed it out strong with wins over Frederick Douglass and Woodford County. Coach Gay has the Commodores playing well. This week they head to the Smoky Mountain Classic in Gatlinburg, Tennessee to face off with North Laurel in the first round.
10. Lafayette (3-4) - The Generals finished the week 1-1 with a close win at Tates Creek and a loss at South Oldham. An argument can be made that you could flip #9 and #10 but at this point I think Tates Creek is playing better and the Generals have lost 4 of 5. Either way these two are neck and neck at this point. This week the Generals head to Scott County and then particpate in the Clash of the Titans at Mercer County where they face Somerset in the first round.
11. Frederick Douglass (3-4) - The Broncos finish the week 1-2 with a close win over struggling Bryan Station and losses to Tates Creek and Castle out of Indiana. Early season momentum seems to have hit a wall at Douglass and they seem to be searching for an identity. This week the Broncos host St. Xavier in their only game of the week.
12. Franklin County (4-4) - The Flyers finished the week 3-1 but lost the biggest game on their schedule in an important district seeding game against Frankfort. At 0-2 in the district its gonna be tough for them to grab the ever important 1 seed. They picked up wins over Nelson County Paris and Trimble County with relative ease. This week the Flyers head to Eastern before traveling to Harrison County for the Huck Turner Tip Off Classic where they face hosts Harrison County in the opening round.
13. Madison Southern (4-4) - The Eagles split this past week 1-1 with a win over Jackson County and a blowout loss at Woodford County. The Eagles are what they are, they beat the teams they should and really dont compete against any decently tough team. This week the Eagles head to the M&W Shootout in Pulaski County where they face off with Southwestern to begin the event.
14. Bryan Station (0-7) - Just a year ago Bryan Station was undefeated and a top 5 team in the state. What a difference a year makes. The Defenders remain winless on the season this past week with losses to Frederick Douglass and Scott County. The schedule gets no easier this week as they head to Pendleton County for the Phillip Wood Classic where they face Cooper, Pendleton County, and St. Henry. Im afraid the Defenders may finish the 2018 section of their schedule without a victory.
15. Model (4-4) - The Patriots finish the week 2-1 with victories over Brown and Frankfort Christian but fell to East Jessamine. This week Model heads to the Sayre School Jim Lankster Classic and will face Harlan, Belfry, and Sayre.
16. Sayre (1-5) - The Spartans picked up their first win of the season this past week at Western Hills but dropped a close road game at Louisville Holy Cross. This week Sayre hosts the Sayre School Jim Lankster Classic and will face Harlan, Belfry, and Model.
17. Western Hills (1-5) - Another winless week for the Wolverines as they lost home games to Spencer County and Sayre. Not sure when this program will ever turn any corner in the right direction. This week Western Hills hosts Danville and heads to Knott County Central.
18. Berea (4-3) - The Pirates dropped games to Pineville and Calvary Christian this week. They face off with Owen County in the opening round of the Berea Invitational Tournament this week.
Games of the Week
This week region teams play in some big time pre Christmas tournaments. Check out the following events:
King of the Bluegrass - Fairdale High School
Peoples Choice Bank Holiday Invitational - Henry Clay High School
Last edited by mooremiller31; Dec 17, 18 at 09:55 AM.