11th Region Week 2 Review
Another crazy week in the 11th Region with some entertaining and interesting inter region match ups. The only thing certain about the 11th right now is their is a unanimous #1 and a pretty solid #2, after that I'm not sure you couldn't put #3 - #10 in a hat and draw them out anyway you want to. Once again a lot of moving and shaking in the middle of the pack.
1. Scott County (5-0) - Another week another set of big wins for the Cardinals. Both games were dominant performances with a 38 point win at LCA and a 42 point win over Frederick Douglass. Michael Moreno continues to show why hes one of the best players in the state and his supporting cast is full of good players. Also, Glenn Covington is expected to be back this week just to make the cards deeper. This week the Cardinals face off with rival Lexington Catholic on the road and then host Bryan Station to end the week.
2. Henry Clay (5-0) - The Blue Devils have cemented themselves as the solid #2 in the region thus far. This week Henry Clay picked up wins over Eastern and Scott High with another set of great performances from Marquez Warrick. The kid is a star and probably one of the most underrated players in the state, he just keeps putting up numbers. This week the Blue Devils hit the road to Frankfort and Ballard before coming home to host Paris. Some good tests for Henry Clay this week.
3. Woodford County (4-0) - The Yellow Jackets continue to impress with two blowout wins over district opponents Western Hills and Franklin County this week to give them an early edge for the 1 seed in the 41st. Brandon Cromwell and Anthony Tabor lead the attack for Coach Wilson as they look to keep improving. This week Woodford County travels to GRC in what should be a real good game, then hosts Madison Southern and Tates Creek to end the week.
4. Lexington Christian Academy (4-1) - The week started off great for LCA with a big win at Tates Creek but they ran into a buzz saw with Scott County two days later. Kyle Rode continues to impress doing it all for the Eagles. A big week coming as they head to Paul Laurence Dunbar and Boyle County.
5. Lexington Catholic (3-3) - After struggling to start the season the Knights picked up a couple wins this week over Model and Paul Laurence Dunbar before falling to Beechwood on a last second shot. The win over Dunbar was huge as far as the district seeding goes and included an off balance fade away 3 from Ben Johnson as time was running out to seal the deal for the Knights. This week the Knights host Scott County before heading to Clay County for a tough road game.
6. Paul Laurence Dunbar (3-2) - The Bulldogs brutal schedule to start the season continued this week as they picked up a close win over Lafayette before falling by 1 to Lexington Catholic in a low scoring grind it out game. Another big district matchup with LCA this week before the Bulldogs take a long break.
7. Frederick Douglass (2-2) - The Broncos finished 1-1 on the week with a win at East Jessamine before running into Scott County and falling hard. Two city games this week as FDHS heads to Bryan Station and Tates Creek. Should help sort out some of the rankings within the city of Lexington with those.
8. Madison Central (2-2) - The Indians finished the week 1-1 with a tough loss at GRC and a nice home win over Somerset. The schedule gets no easier for the Indians as they head to Collins and Pulaski County this week before hosting Christian County this weekend.
9. Tates Creek (3-2) - For the first time since early in the 2014-15 season the Commodores have a winning record. Also, they picked up their first win over a Lexington Public school in over 4 years when they defeated Bryan Station this past week. They also won at Bourbon County this weekend. Some tests this week as Tates Creek hosts Lafayette and Frederick Douglass.
10. Lafayette (2-3) - A tough week for the Generals losing 3 straight to Dunbar, Simon Kenton, and Waggener. Our #3 team last week they drop all the way #10. Are they the tenth best team in the region? Maybe not but this is where they sit this week. The Generals head to Tates Creek and South Oldham this week looking to break their losing streak.
11. Frankfort (3-2) - The Panthers had a nice week picking up wins over Sayre and Western Hills before falling in a close one to Butler on a neutral site. Frankfort is still looking for a signature win early in the season. This week the Panthers host Henry Clay and Franklin County in what could be a big week for them.
12. Franklin County (1-3) - A tough week for the Flyers dropping two games to Collins and Woodford County but a big week looms for FC as they play 4 games!! First they host Nelson County before they head to Paris, Frankfort, and Trimble County. The biggest one being the Frankfort game as FC cant afford to go 0-2 in the district.
13. Bryan Station (0-5) - The Defenders early season struggles continue as they dropped games to Henry Clay, Tates Creek, and South Oldham with none really being that close. If the Defenders dont get it figured out in a hurry it could be bad news as the schedule only gets tougher with Frederick Douglass and Scott County coming up this week.
14. Madison Southern (3-3) - The Eagles went 1-2 on the week with a win over Powell County and losses to North Laurel and Lincoln County. Another team still looking for a signature win the Eagles host Jackson County and head to Woodford County this week.
15. Sayre (0-4) - The Spartans dropped two close games this week to Frankfort and North Laurel. Unlike the teams below them Sayre attempts to play decent competition so even though they are winless this is where they rank. This week they head to Holy Cross(Louisville) and Western Hills.
16. Model (2-3) - The Patriots finish the week 1-1 with a win over Lynn Camp and a loss to Lexington Catholic. This week they head to Frankfort Christian and Brown and host East Jessamine.
17. Western Hills (1-3) - 0-2 on the week for the Wolverines dropping two district games. This week they host Spencer County and Sayre.
18. Berea (4-1) - Wins over Danville Christian, Lee County, and Bluegrass United wont move you up the rankings but wins nonetheless. This week the Pirates head to Pineville and Calvary Christian.
Games of the Week
Tuesday Dec. 11th
Woodford County @ George Rogers Clark
LCA @ Dunbar
Henry Clay @ Frankfort
Lafayette @ Tates Creek
Madison Central @ Collins
Wednesday Dec. 12th
Scott County @ Lexington Catholic
Friday Dec. 14th
Franklin County @ Frankfort
Henry Clay @ Ballard