The first week of the season has come and gone. The more things change the more they stay the same is a good theme for this week. While most of the normal power brokers remain near the top their have been some surprises. Overall it was a good first week for the 11th Region.
Team Rankings 1. Scott County (3-0) - What a start to the season for the Cardinals! They knocked off 2 top 25 teams in the state in South Laurel and Ballard by 30 points each and then traveled to Marshall County for the Hoopfest and knocked off Olive Branch, Mississippi who was ranked in the preseason top 50 in the country and feature DJ Jefferies who is a top 10 player in the country. The most impressive part of this for me is that the Cardinals loaded a bus Friday night after beating Ballard and drove the 5 hours to Marshall County to play a noon tip. It didnt seem to bother them much. Up next Scott County travels to LCA and host Frederick Douglass.
2. Henry Clay (2-0) - The Blue Devils knocked off their 2018-19 campaign with a pair of city victories over Frederick Douglass and Tates Creek. Both victories by around 20 points. Marques Warrick showed why he is one of the top players in the region with two impressive performances. Up next the Blue Devils head to Bryan Station, host Eastern, and face off with Scott High on a neutral floor. A chance to move to 2-0 in the tough 42nd district for Henry Clay this week.
3. Lafayette (2-0) - One of our big climbers this week, the Generals got off to impressive start with a road win over one of the top 12th Region teams in Lincoln County and then throttled Madison Central at home by 22. A big week up next for Lafayette as they travel to Dunbar for a 43rd District matchup then head to Simon Kenton for a tough road game before meeting Waggener on a neutral court over the weekend. The Generals have been talking about "earning respect" all preseason. Another week to show what they are made of is on the horizon.
4. Lexington Christian Academy (3-0) - The Eagles are off to a nice start winning 3 games against Cordia, Western Hills, and Paris. While the strength of schedule might not be the best the margin of victory is impressive. They werent challenged in any of the games this past week. Kyle Rode poured in around 30 points a game all week to lead LCA. Up next the Eagles travel to Tates Creek before hosting Scott County in a big time matchup for them.
5. Frederick Douglass (1-1) - The Broncos started the week off with a loss to district rival Henry Clay but bounced back nicely to smoke Bourbon County over the weekend. The Henry Clay game was much closer then the final score showed with the Broncos being with single digits most of the game. This week the Broncos hit the road heading to East Jessamine, Scott County, and Bryan Station.
6. Paul Laurence Dunbar (2-1) - The Bulldogs take a drop from our preseason rankings after a tough loss to a surprising Woodford County team but bounced back in a big way to beat Bryan Station on the road and northern Kentucky power Cooper on a neutral floor over the weekend. The 3 bigs are still getting adjusted to Coach Chalk's style but the Bulldogs are starting to look like they could be formidable for teams in the 11th this season. A big week for PLD with Lafayette and Lexington Catholic coming to PLD for early season 43rd District matchups.
7. Madison Central (1-1) - The Indians got off to a great start with a beat down of rival Madison Southern but ran into some big time problems at Lafayette to end the week. Congrats to Isaiah Cozart on becoming the states all time career leader in blocked shots against Lafayette. What a great accomplishment for a great
kid and basketball player. The Indians travel to GRC early in the week in what should be a great game and then host Somerset to end the week.
8. Woodford County (2-0) - The Yellow Jackets had a huge opening season win over Paul Laurence Dunbar on the road which really opened some eyes and then went to Grant County and beat them down to end the week. An argument can be made that the Yellow Jackets should be higher but for now this is where I will put them. They have plenty of chances to prove they are a top 5 team in the region in coming weeks. This week Woodford County plays 2 important district games as they host Western Hills then head to Franklin County to end the week.
9. Franklin County (1-1) - The Flyers picked up an impressive win over one of the top 8th Region teams Spencer County to open the season and then battled with Butler over the weekend before falling by just 5 points. Zyshon Atkinson and Kyle Stivers had nice weeks for the Flyers to help lead the way. This week Franklin County hosts Collins and Woodford County in a big time early season district matchup.
10. Lexington Catholic (1-2) - The Knights started off the week with big win over rival Mason County but the week went south after that with losses to Covington Catholic and Briarcrest Christian out of Tennessee and neither game was very competitive. Ben Johnson continues to impress for the Knights. This is a big week for Lexington Catholic to get back to their winning ways. They host Model before traveling to PLD for a district matchup, then play Beechwood.
11. Frankfort (1-1) - The Panthers finished the week 1-1 wih a win over Eastern and a loss to North Oldham. New coach Chris OBryan is still implementing his system but expect to see the Panthers find their way into the top 10 before the season ends. This week the Panthers head to Sayre and Western Hills before playing a tough Butler team on a neutral site.
12. Tates Creek (1-1) - The Commodores started off the season with a loss to Henry Clay but bounced back to win on the road at Powell County. Tates Creek continues to try and move in the right direction this season this week as they face off with LCA, Bryan Station and Bourbon County.
13. Bryan Station (0-2) - The Nimbo Hammons era is off to a rough start on the north side of Lexington. The Defenders dropped a home game to Dunbar then ran into a freight train in Cincinnati Moeller over the weekend. Station needs to get it going quickly because their schedule doesnt get any easier. They host Henry Clay and Tates Creek this week before taking on South Oldham on a neutral court.
14. Madison Southern (2-1) - The Eagles picked up 2 wins this week over Estill County and Russell County but fell big to rival Madison Central to open the year. This week the Eagles head to North Laurel, host Powell County, and face off with Lincoln County on a neutral court.
15. Sayre (0-2) - The Spartans are off to a rough start to start the season with 2 close losses to East Jessamine and Hazard. This week Sayre will host Frankfort and take on North Laurel on a neutral court.
16. Model (1-2) - Model dropped games to Casey County and Danville this week but picked up a win over Bluegrass United. They face off with Lexington Catholic and Lynn Camp this week.
17. Western Hills (1-1) - The Wolverines went 1-1 with a win over Henry County and a loss to LCA to open the season. Two district games this week with Western Hills and Frankfort coming up this week.
18. Berea (1-1) - The Pirates lost to East Jessamine and beat Evangel Christian. This week they face off with Danville Christian, Lee County, and Bluegrass United.
Games of the Week Tuesday Dec. 4th
Lafayette at Paul Laurence Dunbar
Collins at Franklin County
Henry Clay at Bryan Station
Madison Central at George Rogers Clark
Thursday Dec. 6th
Scott County at Lexington Christian Academy
Friday Dec. 7th
Lexington Catholic at Paul Laurence Dunbar