11th Region Week 7 Rankings and Recap
Another week has come and gone in the always tough 11th Region. District standings have started to round into form in some districts while some are still highly contested. A couple top teams in the region had some out of region matchups this past week. Also, the All A regional tournament takes place this week.
Team of the Week - Franklin County
The Flyers picked up two big districts wins this week against Frankfort High and Woodford County, two teams that had previously beaten Franklin County. The two wins have catapulted the Flyers back into contention for the 1 seed in the 41st District.
Player of the Week - Peter Whitman
Peter Whitman had a huge week for the Knights helping lead them to 3 wins. He collected 19 points and 12 rebounds early in the week in a close win against rival Lafayette on 9/9 from the floor and then had 31 points against Mason County on 13/15 from the field. Great week for Peter!!
1. Lexington Catholic - The Knights remain in the top spot this week after going a perfect 3-0 last week. Wins over Tates Creek, Lafayette, and Mason County. The Knights look to continue their winning ways this week with a HUGE district matchup with Dunbar on Thursday that has major seeding implications in the always tough 43rd district. The Knights end the week hosting one of the top 5th Region teams, Taylor County.
2. Scott County - Interesting week for the Cardinals. They started off winning two region games over Madison Central and Sayre and ended the week losing two close games against top out of state competition down in Nashville. As always, Michael Moreno continues to shine for the Cardinals. This week they host the Toyota Classic where they open against Rockcastle County.
3. Paul Laurence Dunbar - The Bulldogs started out the week with wins over Tates Creek and Henry Clay before traveling to Bowling Green and losing to top 5 Bowling Green team in the State Farm Shootout at South Warren. Taveion Hollingsworth continues to play at a high level and is now less then 50 points away from passing Darnell Burton and being the all time leading scorer in Dunbar history. Only one game this week for the Bulldogs as they travel to Lexington Catholic for a big time district showdown.
4. Lexington Christian - The Eagles picked up two big wins against West Jessamine and Lafayette this past week and made them both look easy. Big week for the Eagles as the All A gets started for them. They open up with Berea and I truly believe the Eagles have a great shot to win the All A State Title in Frankfort.
5. Lafayette - The Generals had a tough week dropping a close one to Lexington Catholic and then getting blown out at LCA to end the week. I keep them here due to head to head wins over all the teams ranked right below them. This week the Generals head to Scott County for the always tough Toyota Classic.
6. Madison Central - The Indians had two games against really good teams this past week. First with Scott County and then traveled to Hopkinsville to face a top 5 Tiger team. They took the Tigers to OT but couldn't pull it out. This week the Indians have 3 games with West Jessamine, Bryan Station, and Lincoln County.
7. Madison Southern - The Eagles continue to roll. They have now won 12 straight games. They picked up easy wins over Berea and Model this past week. Next up for the Eagles is the Toyota Classic in Scott County. Should be a couple stronger tests this week then the past couple of weeks. This will tell us a lot about where the Eagles stand.
8. Henry Clay - The Blue Devils picked up a HUGE district win over Bryan Station earlier this week before falling at Dunbar but bounced back with a nice road win at Franklin County. The young devils continue to improve and look to be getting better. Mitchell and Brown continue to contribute majorly for Henry Clay.
9. Bryan Station - The Defenders have struggled a bit lately with the absence of their coach Tommy Johnson, who was thrown out of a game earlier this month and has forced him to miss 3 games. This week they travel to Madison Central and host Woodford County.
10. Sayre - The Spartans picked up a nice home win over Woodford County early in the week before dropping one to Scott County. The Spartans are playing pretty good ball this week and look to be the only strong competition this week for LCA in the All A Region.
11. Tates Creek - The Commodores hung tough with Dunbar early in the week before falling in a big way at Lexington Catholic to end the week. Still they are playing much better then at the beginning of the season and the return of Isaiah Patterson has really helped them. This week they play Henry Clay and Clark County, good tests for them.
12. Franklin County - The Flyers picked up two big wins over Frankfort and Woodford to help get them back in the mix in the 41st district. Dropped one Saturday to Henry Clay but I'm sure they are happy with the two wins they got early in the week. This week the Flyers travel to Shelby County, host Atherton, and play Boyle County on a neutral floor.
13. Woodford County - The Yellow Jackets dropped two game this past week. First, to Sayre and then a close one at Franklin County. They look to get back on track this week against Western Hills, Bryan Station, and Owen County.
14. Frankfort - The Panthers lost big at Franklin County early in the week but bounced back with a blowout win over Western Hills to end the week. Next up for Frankfort is the 11th Region All A.
15. Western Hills - The Wolverines dropped 3 games this past week and none were really that close. They face Woodford County and Bullitt Central this week as they try to get back to the winning ways.
16. Model - All A 11th Region this week for the Patriots they open with Frankfort.
17. Berea - All A 11th Region this week for the Pirates they open with LCA.
Games of the Week
Toyota Classic all week at Scott County
11th Region All A Classic at Berea
Thursday January 19th
Dunbar @ Lexington Catholic