11th Region Recap and Rankings Week 6
Another exciting week in the 11th region this past week. A couple of close games throughout the week including some big district matchups that went down to the wire. Some more big games on the horizon this week. The 43rd District is once again starting to show its strength amongst the rest of the region and a couple long winning streaks remain intact.
Team of the Week - Lafayette
The Generals picked up two big city wins this week. The first came over Bryan Station on a last second tip in by Chris Wharton and the other was a dismantling of district rival Tates Creek. A huge week in store for the Generals though as they face Lexington Catholic and Lexington Christian in two big district matchups. The first meeting with both those teams for the Generals this season.
Player of the Week - Luke Johnson
Luke had another outstanding week for the Lexington Catholic Knights. Early in the week he poured in 29 points in a close win at LCA including some big free throws down the stretch and then added 20 points in a blow out win over St. Henry. Good week for Luke.
1. Lexington Catholic - The Knights take over the number 1 spot this week after defeating previous number 1 Lexington Christian. The Knights also got an easy win over St. Henry to end the week. The Knights have been paced by Luke Johnson and Zan Payne of late, including those 2 scoring 46 of their 50 in the LCA game. This week the Knights travel to Lafayette and host Tates Creek in two district matchups.
2. Scott County - The Cardinals finished the week 2-0 with a nice win on the road at 8th region favorite Oldham County and then a home beat down of 42nd district foe Henry Clay. The Cardinals eclipsed 100 points in the Henry Clay game and look to be hitting their stride. This week the Cardinals head to Madison Central and host Sayre to end the week.
3. Paul Laurence Dunbar - The Bulldogs had a great week picking up two 11th region road wins at Madison Central and at LCA. Taveion Hollingsworth poured in 40 points against LCA Friday night helping the Bulldogs erase a 14 point 3rd quarter lead for the Eagles and keeping the Bulldogs undefeated in 43rd district play. Big week for the Bulldogs as they travel to Tates Creek Tuesday, host Henry Clay on Thursday, and then head to Bowling Green Saturday to face the Bowling Green Purples in what should be a fun game.
4. Lexington Christian - Tough week for the Eagles as they drop two close games in which they had a lead in the 4th quarter. Lexington Catholic and Paul Laurence Dunbar both pulled out come from behind wins at LCA this past week but the Eagles did salvage the week with a nice win on a neutral floor over a good Corbin team. This week the Eagles head to West Jessamine and host Lafayette in another 43rd district matchup.
5. Lafayette - The Generals got a little revenge this week against Bryan Station on a last second tip in by Chris Wharton to pull out a 2 point victory and then blitzed Tates Creek to end the week. HUGE week for the Generals ahead though as they host Lexington Catholic before heading to LCA to end the week. District wins in the 43rd are tough to come by and the Generals will be looking to grab a couple this week.
6. Bryan Station - Only one game for the Defenders this week as they lost a close one to Lafayette on the road. This week the Defenders head to Henry Clay in a district matchup. Bryan Station defeated Henry Clay earlier this season by 10 so expect this one to be a good game.
7. Madison Central - The Indians dropped a close one at home to Dunbar in a low scoring affair and ended the week with a nice win on the road against Woodford County. Isaiah Cozart continues to be a problem on the defensive end for teams. 3 games on the docket for the Indians this week as they host Casey County, Scott County, and then head to Hopkinsville to face a good Tiger team.
8. Madison Southern - The winning streak has reached 10 for the Eagles. Two nice home wins over Woodford County and Montgomery County this past week. Looks like an easy week on the horizon with games at Model and at Berea this week. Interesting that the Eagles don't face any Fayette County schools this season.
9. Henry Clay - The Blue Devils picked up a road victory at Sayre to start the week before heading to Scott County and losing a game that was never close. This week the Blue Devils host Bryan Station before heading to Dunbar and Franklin County to end the week.
10. Sayre - The Spartans had a chance to move up the rankings this week but just couldn't pull it out against Henry Clay. The game was close most of the time and the Blue Devils pulled away early in the 4th quarter. They ended the week with a nice win over Boone County. This week they host Woodford County before heading to Scott County.
11. Tates Creek - The Commodores are starting to show signs of life. They handled Franklin County early in the week and then fell at Lafayette on Friday and home to Moore on Saturday. The week gets no easier as Tates Creek hosts Dunbar on Tuesday and then heads to Lexington Catholic on Thursday.
12. Woodford County - The Yellow Jackets had a tough start to the week losing at Madison Southern but bounced back a little winning at Frankfort in a key district game before falling to Madison Central on Saturday. Another big week for Woodford as they head to Sayre and Franklin County in a district matchup.
13. Franklin County - The Flyers started the week losing to Tates Creek but got Diablo Stewart back Friday night and his 37 points helped lead them to a blowout win over Western Hills. The Flyers ended the week losing to a good Cloverdale, Indiana team on the road. HUGE week coming up with two district matchups at home with Frankfort and Woodford County.
14. Frankfort - The Panthers struggles continue. Early in the week they dropped a close game at Bourbon County and then fell to Woodford County at home Friday night. This week the Panthers have two big district games with Franklin County and Western Hills, two teams they have defeated previously.
15. Western Hills - The Wolverines dropped their only game last week by 20 to Franklin County and haven't really been playing well lately. This week they head to East Jessamine and Frankfort.
16. Model - The Patriots picked up a nice win over rival Berea last week. This week they host Madison Southern and head to Somerset and Owsley County.
17. Berea - The Pirates lost their only game last week with Model. This week they head to Burgin and host Madison Southern.
Games of the Week
Tuesday Jan. 10th
Frankfort @ Franklin County
Bryan Station @ Henry Clay
Lexington Catholic @ Lafayette
Thursday Jan. 12th
Henry Clay @ Paul Laurence Dunbar
Friday Jan. 13th
Woodford County @ Franklin County
Lafayette @ Lexington Christian
Saturday Jan. 14th
Paul Laurence Dunbar vs. Bowling Green @ South Warren