1. Bourbon County (17-3) - The Colonels are a top 10 team in the state. They went all the way to the 2A finals, defeating Lawrence County (68-56) and Lexington Catholic (71-66), before falling to #1 John Hardin (73-53).The win over Lexington Catholic was very impressive. The Colonels travel to George Rogers Clark on Tuesday. The winner will have the inside track to the #1 seed in the brutal 40th district.
2. George Rogers Clark (15-4) - The Cardinals went 2-1 on the week, losing to Woodford County (75-68) and picking up wins over Montgomery County (59-52) and Breathitt County (77-74). In the win over Montgomery County, Jerone Morton scored 23 points and KJ Rucker held Hagan Harrison scoreless in the 2nd half. The Cardinals changed tactics at halftime, using a aggressive defense (and face guarding Harrison) to turn the tide. The win over Breathitt County was closer than expected. The Cardinals are 11th in the state in scoring offense.
3. Bishop Brossart (15-2) The Mustangs are headed back to Richmond for the All A State Tournament. They defeated Paris (56-53) in the region semifinals and Robertson County (72-64) in the region finals. Carson Schirmer scored 20 points in the win over Robertson County. The Mustangs will be a heavy favorite in their first round matchup against Frankfort. Bishop Brossart is one of the top teams in the tournament. They are on the opposite side of the draw of Hazard. The Bulldogs are undefeated against state competition.
4. Mason County (8-7) - Alex Schalch scored 26 points and the Royals posted their most impressive victory this season in a 74-64 win over Campbell County. Then, the Royals nearly upset one of the top teams in the state, falling 66-65 to Ashland. Combine that result with Mason’s County’s overtime loss to Bourbon County early in the season, and that proves the Royals can compete with any team.
5. Robertson County (13-5) - The Black Devils breezed past Nicholas County behind a 30 point effort from Justin Becker. However, they dropped the 10th region All A finals to Bishop Brossart 62-54. Ross Becker posted a double-double in the loss to the Mustangs. Justin Becker is 2nd in the state in scoring with 27.7 ppg. The Black Devils are 8th in the state in scoring offense.
6. Campbell County (8-9) - The Camels dropped road games to Mason County (74-64) and Highlands (71-54). Jordan Gross had a double-double in the loss to the surging Highlands Bluebirds. The Camels have played 5 straight good teams and are only 1-4 in those contests.
7. Montgomery County (9-9) - The Indians suffered their fourth straight loss, falling to George Rogers Clark 59-52. The Indians need to take care of the ball better going forward, but big man Rickey Lovette continues to impress.
8. Paris (5-9) - The Greyhounds are continuing to show signs of improvement. They narrowly lost to Bishop Brossart in the 10th region All A semifinals. Paris is shooting only 54% from the charity stripe this season.
9. Augusta (10-8) - The Panthers hit 10 three pointers in a 83-64 win over St. Patrick. Augusta has a couple of big district games this week. They host Mason County and play at Bracken County.
10. Scott (4-11) - The Eagles lost in overtime to Dixie Heights (72-68), despite Grant Profitt's 31 points. Scott also fell to Holmes (80-73). They have dropped 4 straight games, but will look to gain some momentum when they travel to Calvary Christian on January 21. Profitt is third in the state in free throw percentage at 86.7%. Kyle Huelsman is shooting an incredible 48.7% from three point range.
11. Pendleton County (7-10) - The Wildcats won all three games last week, nearly doubling their season win total in the process. The wins came against Harrison County (52-45), Dayton (72-46), and Fleming County (55-50.) Tredyn Thomas and Brett Booth both performed well last week.
12. Calvary Christian (7-7) - The Crusaders had the week off. They are 0-4 in 10th region play and will look to get off the snide when they host Scott on January 21. Noah Herald is averaging 12.6 rebounds a game, good for 4th in the state.
13. Harrison County (2-14) - The Thoroughbreds continued their trend of losing to every team they have played not named "Nicholas County." They dropped both of their games last week, suffering road losses at Pendleton County (52-45) and Ludlow (63-43). Richard Harris is shooting 69.8% from the field, good for 4th in the state.
14. Nicholas County (3-13) - The road was not kind to the Bluejackets last week. They suffered a 31 point loss to Robertson County in the 2nd round of the 10th region All A Tournament, and also lost to Franklin County. Earlier in the year Nicholas County lost to Robertson County by only 4 points, but the game last week was a different story.
15. Bracken County (5-13) - Bracken County fell to Walton Verona 91-64 in their only game last week. The Polar Bears have lost seven of their last eight games. They host rival Augusta this week. 8th grader Blake Reed is averaging 22.4 points per game on the season.
16. St. Patrick (5-11) - The Saints pounded winless Covington Latin for the second time this season. They lost to Augusta 83-64. That was their second loss to the Panthers this season. St. Patrick has lost all 5 10th region games and is trending toward a winless region record.
Games of The Week: Bourbon County at George Rogers Clark - First of what could be four meetings
Tue 1/21 7:30 pm
Bishop Brossart vs Frankfort (at EKU) - All A Classic State Tournament 1st Round
Thu 1/23 10:00 am
Mason County at Augusta - Royals visit Augusta for the first time in a long, long time Tue 1/21 7:30 pm
Last edited by teeroy; Jan 20, 20 at 08:40 AM.