Wood Or Metal?

  1. #1
    cougarpride06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Posts
    65

    Wood Or Metal?

    What would everyone prefer? Wooden Bats or Metal Bats?
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Wood. High school and college should go to wood bats. It would eliminate wasted draft picks because of inflated numbers. A lot of players have trouble adjusting to the wood bats, this would separate the ball players from the "assisted" ball players.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 05
    Location
    Baseball Field, Watching, Teaching and Talking about Baseball
    Posts
    28,689

    The metal bats are certainly a huge advantage, in power, spring and durability, but I would like to see an adoption across the board of wooden bats in ALL levels of play, youth leagues, high school, college and so on.

    Drawback to wood, cost, lack of durability, inside pitches are now outs and not bloops, weight and size problems.

    I also realize that will NEVER happen but just my personal opinion.

  4. #4
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Quote Originally Posted by STRIKE3
    The metal bats are certainly a huge advantage, in power, spring and durability, but I would like to see an adoption across the board of wooden bats in ALL levels of play, youth leagues, high school, college and so on.

    Drawback to wood, cost, lack of durability, inside pitches are now outs and not bloops, weight and size problems.

    I also realize that will NEVER happen but just my personal opinion.
    It would be nice to see a kid make a good pitch and actually get an out, out of it.

  5. #5

    Quote Originally Posted by stickymitts
    It would be nice to see a kid make a good pitch and actually get an out, out of it.
    I spoke with a young man just this week who had had a terrific high school and college career, put up some very impressive numbers with his bat. This young man was drafted 2 years ago and has put up respectable numbers in the minors but very short of what his high school and college numbers were. I just asked out of curiosty how the pitching in the minors compared to that in college. He told me that overall the pitching was better at the minor league level but the biggest factor that he had to deal with was not so much the pitching, but the adjustment from metal to wood.

  6. #6
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Quote Originally Posted by firebird
    I spoke with a young man just this week who had had a terrific high school and college career, put up some very impressive numbers with his bat. This young man was drafted 2 years ago and has put up respectable numbers in the minors but very short of what his high school and college numbers were. I just asked out of curiosty how the pitching in the minors compared to that in college. He told me that overall the pitching was better at the minor league level but the biggest factor that he had to deal with was not so much the pitching, but the adjustment from metal to wood.
    I've had many guys tell me the same. It's a lot harder than most think.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 05
    Location
    Baseball Field, Watching, Teaching and Talking about Baseball
    Posts
    28,689

    Quote Originally Posted by stickymitts
    It would be nice to see a kid make a good pitch and actually get an out, out of it.
    Without question you are correct. The game today has been geared for the offensive player over the last 15-20 years, with new alloy's, bat technology and equipment advancement. The Pitcher's just fade away, while new bats are being massed produced, quicker than you can say "slugging percentage".

    Quote Originally Posted by firebird
    I spoke with a young man just this week who had had a terrific high school and college career, put up some very impressive numbers with his bat. This young man was drafted 2 years ago and has put up respectable numbers in the minors but very short of what his high school and college numbers were. I just asked out of curiosity how the pitching in the minors compared to that in college. He told me that overall the pitching was better at the minor league level but the biggest factor that he had to deal with was not so much the pitching, but the adjustment from metal to wood.
    You are very correct. A very good or even great high school hitter, that has a good career in college, will certainly struggle in adjusting to the wooden bat.

    The swing weight is increased significantly, the handle sizes vary, as will most diameter's of the barrel. A premium must be placed on swinging through the ball, after making initial contact and continually driving.

    A lot of these players that are draft-able, play in the Cape Cod leagues or other summer leagues, to transition from metal to wood.

    One bat, one material, one uniform code....one happy man, me.

  8. #8

    Quote Originally Posted by STRIKE3


    One bat, one material, one uniform code....one happy man, me.

    Perferably, northern white ash..........

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 05
    Location
    Baseball Field, Watching, Teaching and Talking about Baseball
    Posts
    28,689

    Quote Originally Posted by firebird
    Perferably, northern white ash..........
    I'm with 'ya Firebird.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,156

    Quote Originally Posted by firebird
    Perferably, northern white ash..........

    agree 100%

  11. #11
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Quote Originally Posted by firebird
    Perferably, northern white ash..........
    Yup!!!

  12. #12
    Pat Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 04
    Location
    GO YANKS!
    Posts
    6,293

    I agree with all. Wood is better for the game and a lot safer.

  13. #13
    cougarpride06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Posts
    65

    What is keeping High Schools From switching to wooden bats?

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Mar 05
    Location
    Baseball Field, Watching, Teaching and Talking about Baseball
    Posts
    28,689

    Quote Originally Posted by cougarpride06
    What is keeping High Schools From switching to wooden bats?
    $$$$$$

  15. #15

    Quote Originally Posted by STRIKE3
    $$$$$$
    Considering that metal bats only last about a year and a half to 2 years and cost $300.00 and wood bats can be bought for $40.00 I dont think that there is that much more expense. That's about 7 1/2 wood bats to one metal bat.

    BTW, I have enjoyed your avatars lately.

Top