Update on Meiken Field??

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Posts
    58

    Update on Meiken Field??

    This has been interesting me for a lot of time now and I drive by it to go to work and I can see the construction. When is it supposed to be done? Where does Holmes and Holy Cross play?
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Posts
    54

    They play at Cordero field

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Location
    Coney Island
    Posts
    130

    There will be no high school baseball at Meinken this season. The field should be ready to go by the all-star game so the Reds can show it off. Also, because of some grant the school board obtained the field from the city. It is now owned by the Covington Independent Schools.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    300

    CIPS District purchased the field from the City of Covington due to their inability to be able to maintain the field...then MLB & the Reds came knocking on the door! This field is in progress of becoming a full synthetic surface field, lights are being rewired, post are being painted, dugouts and bathrooms updated, new fence, new scoreboard, and a new paved surface for parking. I foresee this field becoming a multi-purpose field that will provide many opportunities for students of all ages in Covington. This field will be maintained by the District Facilities and Grounds Staff. A lot of exciting positive happenings are taking place in the CIPS District and two schools have been identified as Schools of Distinction by the KY Department of Education.

  5. #5
    B-Ball-fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Posts
    13,561

    Played at Meiken Field a million times during my childhood Knothole days and Kenny Shield's summer baseball clincs. Tons of great memories. When there were 3 fields it was a real big deal to be scheduled for a night game under the lights on Field #1 . The backstop was near where you would enter the parking lot.

    When looking at it now it's hard to imagine 3 fields, but I do remember being in the outfield with my back to other outfield players playing in another game simultaneously on one of the other fields.

    Because the whole area was so big, in some situations a ground ball that got past the outfielder would turn into an instant home run as it rolled on dry dirt into infinity.

    As a kid, and even now I have always thought that it was so strange to have the field so close to the giant gas tanks. Thankfully nothing bad has happened over the years, but I can't help but envision a tragic accident where the tanks blow and instantly incinerate everyone on the field and in the stands, and any residents in the surrounding area. Hopefully nothing like that would ever happen, but if it did, the first question would be why did they build fields so close to giant gas tanks.

  6. #6
    Content1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 13
    Location
    Me and my horsey and a quart o' beer
    Posts
    5,897

    Quote Originally Posted by 3BREDS2B View Post
    CIPS District purchased the field from the City of Covington due to their inability to be able to maintain the field...then MLB & the Reds came knocking on the door! This field is in progress of becoming a full synthetic surface field, lights are being rewired, post are being painted, dugouts and bathrooms updated, new fence, new scoreboard, and a new paved surface for parking. I foresee this field becoming a multi-purpose field that will provide many opportunities for students of all ages in Covington. This field will be maintained by the District Facilities and Grounds Staff. A lot of exciting positive happenings are taking place in the CIPS District and two schools have been identified as Schools of Distinction by the KY Department of Education.
    Great post and thank you for the update!

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 14
    Posts
    1,869

    Can't wait to see the finished product... Those kids deserve a nice field.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Posts
    842

    This field is going to be one of the best places to play in NKy. I have always loved the feel and atmosphere of a night game down there. No secret it has lost some of that due to the condition of the field, but that's being rectified with the turf. Bravo to CIPS and all those involved. Who knows, having a nice place to play could play a role in restoring Holmes baseball.

  9. #9
    OlDog75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    Sittin' in the stands above the 50 yard line.
    Posts
    9,865

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFauxTiger View Post
    This field is going to be one of the best places to play in NKy. I have always loved the feel and atmosphere of a night game down there. No secret it has lost some of that due to the condition of the field, but that's being rectified with the turf. Bravo to CIPS and all those involved. Who knows, having a nice place to play could play a role in restoring Holmes baseball.


    It would be a step forward of MANY steps needed.

    I would also put netting up as far down the left field line as possible to help shield parked vehicles. Can't tell you how many times my car was hit by baseballs and softballs over the years.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Posts
    478

    Could Regionals possible be played there? Will they have the seating? Would next year be the year they get away from Florence Freedom?

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Apr 08
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    11,256

    Quote Originally Posted by FeelingGood View Post
    Could Regionals possible be played there? Will they have the seating? Would next year be the year they get away from Florence Freedom?
    I think if a change is made in regional sites it will be to get away from playing on turf. Most regular season games aren't played on turf. Districts aren't played on turf. State isn't played on turf. So why play regions on turf?

  12. #12

    Join Date
    May 14
    Posts
    87

    Holmes twitter posted the following picture of work being done on Meinken Field. It was posted a week ago on May 6th.

    Name:  Meinken-s.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  73.8 KB

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Dec 14
    Posts
    478

    Quote Originally Posted by nkuclubbaseball19 View Post
    I think if a change is made in regional sites it will be to get away from playing on turf. Most regular season games aren't played on turf. Districts aren't played on turf. State isn't played on turf. So why play regions on turf?
    Makes sense. I think the problem is you can't get away from possible fields with turf for Regionals unless you go back to HS fields. NKU now has a turn infield. Thomas More?? But no seating.

    Has anyone else been throwing any ideas out?

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    6,225

    Quote Originally Posted by footmaster View Post
    Can't wait to see the finished product... Those kids deserve a nice field.
    This is always something that bothers me more and more. Who are those kids and why do they deserve it? Think it is great that the Reds are helping out with this project and the CIPS has taken over maintenance of the field. Just do not understand why someone 'deserves' it more so than anyone else.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Apr 08
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    11,256

    Quote Originally Posted by FeelingGood View Post
    Makes sense. I think the problem is you can't get away from possible fields with turf for Regionals unless you go back to HS fields. NKU now has a turn infield. Thomas More?? But no seating.

    Has anyone else been throwing any ideas out?
    The idea that I hear occasionally is moving back to one or two designated HS fields.

Top