Semi-state setup was terrible this year!

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 09
    Posts
    29

    Semi-state setup was terrible this year!

    Having a day between games was a terrible setup for the semi-state this year. It might has well been a single elimination because with the rain each team could throw their ace twice. Defeats the whole purpose of the best of 3 IMO
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Location
    Hodgenville, KY
    Posts
    801

    Why are you complaining? Your team won.

  3. #3
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight8 View Post
    Having a day between games was a terrible setup for the semi-state this year. It might has well been a single elimination because with the rain each team could throw their ace twice. Defeats the whole purpose of the best of 3 IMO
    Hard to guess how the weather is gonna affect things. What do you suggest? Triple header?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 09
    Posts
    29

    Quote Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
    Hard to guess how the weather is gonna affect things. What do you suggest? Triple header?
    Having 3 days rest between the first game and the third is predictable...........why is everyone so touchy on here? Just making an observation

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Location
    Hodgenville, KY
    Posts
    801

    How has anything said on this thread been touchy?

  6. #6
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    It was a joke. Relax.

  7. #7
    Hilltopper2005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 04
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,594

    Next year you won't have to worry about the Semi-State schedule.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Location
    Hodgenville, KY
    Posts
    801

    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltopper2005 View Post
    Next year you won't have to worry about the Semi-State schedule.
    I don't know if I like the idea of getting rid of Semi-State.

    Maybe I'll come around to it at some point ...

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 09
    Posts
    29

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDrama View Post
    How has anything said on this thread been touchy?
    I would like to have intelligent conversation about a topic instead of asking why I am complaining or sarcastically saying there should be a triple header. that's all

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Mar 09
    Posts
    29

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDrama View Post
    I don't know if I like the idea of getting rid of Semi-State.

    Maybe I'll come around to it at some point ...
    I love semistate.............but I think it should be 3 consecutive days so the ace cannot throw more than once. This really proves who the better overall team is and doesn't let one guy control the outcome.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 07
    Posts
    375

    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight8 View Post
    I love semistate.............but I think it should be 3 consecutive days so the ace cannot throw more than once. This really proves who the better overall team is and doesn't let one guy control the outcome.
    Great teams always find a way to win.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Location
    Hodgenville, KY
    Posts
    801

    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight8 View Post
    I would like to have intelligent conversation about a topic instead of asking why I am complaining or sarcastically saying there should be a triple header. that's all
    My response was only half sarcastic.

    My apologies.

    As far as playing Semi-State in three days: There's always going to be a good chance that will never happen because of the weather we have here in late spring. Take for instance Semi-State 3 between E'town and Bullitt East. Game 1 was Monday night, no problem. Game 2 got pushed back to Thursday because of Wednesday's storms, and then eventually pushed to Friday because of Thursday's storms.

    And then you had to deal with graduation for both teams. E'town's graduation was Friday night, and Bullitt East's was this afternoon before Game 3.

    But, had they played Game 2 on Tuesday, we wouldn't be having this discussion. And besides, I think it's up to the tournament host to determine the schedule. If they want to have a day off between the first two games, that's up to them and not the KHSAA. May be wrong on that, I don't know. But I always thought it was up to the host sites to make the schedule.
    Last edited by Ram; Jun 6, 09 at 09:15 PM.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Mar 09
    Posts
    29

    Quote Originally Posted by Breds Fan View Post
    Great teams always find a way to win.
    I will agree to disagree with you there. Baseball is the one sport where one player (pitcher) can completely dominate a game.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Feb 07
    Posts
    375

    If they cant score they cant win. You dont allow runs with great defense and pitching and play small ball to win the game and get a run against a great pitcher.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Mar 09
    Posts
    29

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDrama View Post
    My response was only half sarcastic.

    My apologies.

    As far as playing Semi-State in three days: There's always going to be a good chance that will never happen because of the weather we have here in late spring. Take for instance Semi-State 3 between E'town and Bullitt East. Game 1 was Monday night, no problem. Game 2 got pushed back to Thursday because of Wednesday's storms, and then eventually pushed to Friday because of Thursday's storms.

    And then you had to deal with graduation for both teams. E'town's graduation was Friday night, and Bullitt East's was this afternoon before Game 3.

    But, had they played Game 2 on Tuesday, we wouldn't be having this discussion. And besides, I think it's up to the tournament host to determine the schedule. If they want to have a day off between the first two games, that's up to them and not the KHSAA. May be wrong on that, I don't know. But I always thought it was up to the host sites to make the schedule.
    Now that I think about it you are right, some semi-states had days between and some did not. I wish they would have 2 best of 3 matchups after the region, and then a final 4 at applebee's like the old days. This sweet 16 for next year seems too much to me.
    Last edited by Ram; Jun 6, 09 at 09:16 PM.

Top