Rules Question

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,531

    Rules Question

    Less than 2 outs, the batter obstructs the catcher attempting to throw a runner out at second base. Who gets called out?? The batter or runner. I've seen it happen twice this week, and it was called different each time. The first time, the batter was called out and the runner was sent back to first. The second time, the runner was called out, and the batter finished his at bat.

    Based on my experience and what I've seen over 35 years of baseball, calling the batter out and returning the runner to 1st is the correct call. Am I right?? @Clyde
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,223

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    Less than 2 outs, the batter obstructs the catcher attempting to throw a runner out at second base. Who gets called out?? The batter or runner. I've seen it happen twice this week, and it was called different each time. The first time, the batter was called out and the runner was sent back to first. The second time, the runner was called out, and the batter finished his at bat. Based on my experience and what I've seen over 35 years of baseball, calling the batter out and returning the runner to 1st is the correct call. Am I right?? @Clyde

    Yes

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,531

    That's what I thought. The home plate umpire refused to listen even though we pointed out the rule. I however, only found the 2012 NFHS rulebook, (not the current year) so I wasn't sure if there had been a change in the ruling. Ultimately, it didn't affect the game, but I'd much rather have the umpire get it right. Calling the runner out is the worst of the two scenarios.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,223

    The only way the runner at 2nd can be out is in one of the two following cases:

    1. Throw gets him at 2nd. In that case the runner is out and the batter continues unless....
    2. The umpire feels that had there not been interference there would have been a strong chance of getting the runner then both the batter and runner are out.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,531

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    The only way the runner at 2nd can be out is in one of the two following cases:

    1. Throw gets him at 2nd. In that case the runner is out and the batter continues unless....
    2. The umpire feels that had there not been interference there would have been a strong chance of getting the runner then both the batter and runner are out.
    When trying to get things sorted out, the umpire kept referring to the "less than two outs" situation. That only applies if the runner is at third and attempting to score, in which case the runner is called out. With two outs, the batter is always out.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 15
    Posts
    135

    I do believe you are correct....batter out and runner returns to first base

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 04
    Posts
    1,156

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    The only way the runner at 2nd can be out is in one of the two following cases:

    1. Throw gets him at 2nd. In that case the runner is out and the batter continues unless....
    2. The umpire feels that had there not been interference there would have been a strong chance of getting the runner then both the batter and runner are out.
    correct in #1 , partly right on #2 . IF the pitch is strike 3 THEN the umpire can call the runner out for 2 outs.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,223

    Quote Originally Posted by 16th62nd View Post
    correct in #1 , partly right on #2 . IF the pitch is strike 3 THEN the umpire can call the runner out for 2 outs.
    Thanks. Good catch.

Top