Numbers Never Lie: A sign that KHSAA Baseball should be classified

Page 2 of Greenup County - 800 Muhlenburg County - 1,317 Corbin - 945 Hazard - 343 Pleasure Ridge Park - 1,702 Saint Xaiver - 1,341 (All Boys) LaRue County - 740... 42 comments | 12985 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    May 18
    Location
    Brooksville
    Posts
    234

    Quote Originally Posted by tiger32 View Post
    Hazard(enrollment 343) is in the semis.
    The two small schools in the state tournament are from more affluent parts of Eastern Kentucky.
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Apr 07
    Posts
    746

    Look back at the past 30 state champions in baseball and I believe you can’t find more then 2-3 small schools (A or AA in football system) that have won a state championship. That tells me there needs to be classifications.

  3. #18
    littleluck55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    5,812

    Quote Originally Posted by niner View Post
    Look back at the past 30 state champions in baseball and I believe you can’t find more then 2-3 small schools (A or AA in football system) that have won a state championship. That tells me there needs to be classifications.
    Or just make the All A classic the state title for baseball.

  4. #19
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    53,918

    Quote Originally Posted by 00Rocket28 View Post
    Not really sure where to post this, but apparently a Bowling Green journalist, Paul Gray collapsed on the field last night and later passed away. How awful.
    Very sad. I didn't know him personally, but our paths crossed fairly regularly. In this age of newsrooms being stretched to the threads, folks like him fill in a lot of coverage gaps, and are incomprehensibly invaluable when it comes to making sure kids' photos get in the paper and online.

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Apr 07
    Posts
    746

    Quote Originally Posted by littleluck55 View Post
    Or just make the All A classic the state title for baseball.
    Would be fine if did it at end of year instead of in middle of season when you have to play possible multiple All A games plus your dist. seeded games in same week.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    May 18
    Location
    Brooksville
    Posts
    234

    This isn’t really even an All A issue. TEN schools have more kids in there high schools than All A schools have in there entire school district, 1000+. I mean good lord McCraken County has 2,100 kids in their school, St Xaiver has 1,300 of just Boys. That’s like asking Asbury to go beat Kentucky. 1A, 2A, and 3A schools are struggling. And that sad part is those schools bigger schools bring absolutely no fans. Whitaker Bank was ghost town almost when I went. This isn’t the coveted Basketball sweet sixteen, you don’t have to worry about attendance dropping because of classes, because the attendance already sucks. L

  7. #22
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    20,902

    Quote Originally Posted by One Great Scorer View Post
    This isn’t really even an All A issue. TEN schools have more kids in there high schools than All A schools have in there entire school district, 1000+. I mean good lord McCraken County has 2,100 kids in their school, St Xaiver has 1,300 of just Boys. That’s like asking Asbury to go beat Kentucky. 1A, 2A, and 3A schools are struggling. And that sad part is those schools bigger schools bring absolutely no fans. Whitaker Bank was ghost town almost when I went. This isn’t the coveted Basketball sweet sixteen, you don’t have to worry about attendance dropping because of classes, because the attendance already sucks. L
    I think attendance would be better if it was classification.

  8. #23
    Nathaniel Bryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 15
    Location
    @NateInSports
    Posts
    859

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Has nothing to do with enrollment numbers. KHSAA doesnt want to change the structure of the post season tournaments, which they would have to do. It means more work for them.
    It's a lot more work for A LOT of people.

    1) KHSAA.
    2) Officials/Umps. More tournaments mean more games.
    3) Media. You want to force a newspaper or radio station to choose between a big school or same school (playing on same day) or between being able to stay close to home as opposed to travel and get stats off gamechanger?
    4) Fans. Can't watch all the local teams if they're all spread out.
    5) Teams. Four classes were too spread out. Even in three classes, some programs will get screwed as far as district alignments.

    I have yet to see:
    A) Alignment
    B) Postseason Setup

    For classification that I have agreed with.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,209

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel Bryan View Post
    It's a lot more work for A LOT of people.

    1) KHSAA.
    2) Officials/Umps. More tournaments mean more games.
    3) Media. You want to force a newspaper or radio station to choose between a big school or same school (playing on same day) or between being able to stay close to home as opposed to travel and get stats off gamechanger?
    4) Fans. Can't watch all the local teams if they're all spread out.
    5) Teams. Four classes were too spread out. Even in three classes, some programs will get screwed as far as district alignments.

    I have yet to see:
    A) Alignment
    B) Postseason Setup

    For classification that I have agreed with.
    How on earth does almost every other state manage to classify baseball when apparently, according to us, it’s so difficult to do?

  10. #25

    Join Date
    May 18
    Location
    Brooksville
    Posts
    234

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel Bryan View Post
    It's a lot more work for A LOT of people.

    1) KHSAA.
    2) Officials/Umps. More tournaments mean more games.
    3) Media. You want to force a newspaper or radio station to choose between a big school or same school (playing on same day) or between being able to stay close to home as opposed to travel and get stats off gamechanger?
    4) Fans. Can't watch all the local teams if they're all spread out.
    5) Teams. Four classes were too spread out. Even in three classes, some programs will get screwed as far as district alignments.

    I have yet to see:
    A) Alignment
    B) Postseason Setup

    For classification that I have agreed with.
    The media and officials find a way to do it in 48 other states and other sports in Kentucky. That’s just an excuse, the KHSAA is just lazy.

  11. #26

    Join Date
    May 18
    Location
    Brooksville
    Posts
    234

    Quote Originally Posted by littleluck55 View Post
    Or just make the All A classic the state title for baseball.
    Or have the KHSAA sponsor/acknowledge it. Even then, only 4 schools from enrollment 2A-4A (400-1000) are in this years sweet 16

  12. #27
    Nathaniel Bryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 15
    Location
    @NateInSports
    Posts
    859

    Quote Originally Posted by One Great Scorer View Post
    The media and officials find a way to do it in 48 other states and other sports in Kentucky. That’s just an excuse, the KHSAA is just lazy.
    Just because they do it, does not mean they do it WELL. I've seen complaints about so-and-so media not covering tourney A because they thought it was more imperative to cover a team in tourney B.

    And the good officials are likely to get the bigger tourneys. That's just how it works.

    Could we class? Sure.

    But please do NOT like it is just that easy to flip the switch.

    There are plenty of mountains in the way that have nothing to do with coming up with a good alignment or tourney setup. Bunch of other factors too.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Jan 01
    Location
    Looking California, and feeling Minnesota...
    Posts
    9,373

    If I coached an A, AA, or AAA school, I would be presenting a proposal to at least have two classes for baseball.

  14. #29

    Join Date
    May 18
    Location
    Brooksville
    Posts
    234

    Quote Originally Posted by colonel-fan View Post
    If I coached an A, AA, or AAA school, I would be presenting a proposal to at least have two classes for baseball.
    I think 3 would work best, seperate by football classes. Ex: 1and2A 3and4A, 5and6A.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,077

    3 of your list has enrollment under 800 and one has 800 exactly, so almost 4. Or 1/4th.

    Just for accuracy sakes of your argument.

Top