KHSAA adopts new pitch count rule

Page 2 of http://www.kentucky.com/sports/high-...%20the%20KHSAA... 46 comments | 4829 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Apr 07
    Posts
    792

    Can't wait for the first argument between coaches on this one. When home team coach tells the visiting coach his pitcher has to come out of the game because he's at 120 pitches and the visiting coach says he doesn't because he only has 110. Visiting pitcher will have to come out because via KHSAA rules home teams pitch counter has the final say. Will make high school baseball a little more interesting to watch with the extracurricular activity this will generate. Not sure why they didn't assign the field umpire with pitch counting duties.
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,218

    Quote Originally Posted by niner View Post
    Can't wait for the first argument between coaches on this one. When home team coach tells the visiting coach his pitcher has to come out of the game because he's at 120 pitches and the visiting coach says he doesn't because he only has 110. Visiting pitcher will have to come out because via KHSAA rules home teams pitch counter has the final say. Will make high school baseball a little more interesting to watch with the extracurricular activity this will generate. Not sure why they didn't assign the field umpire with pitch counting duties.
    There's not always a field umpire.

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,922

    Quote Originally Posted by niner View Post
    Can't wait for the first argument between coaches on this one. When home team coach tells the visiting coach his pitcher has to come out of the game because he's at 120 pitches and the visiting coach says he doesn't because he only has 110. Visiting pitcher will have to come out because via KHSAA rules home teams pitch counter has the final say. Will make high school baseball a little more interesting to watch with the extracurricular activity this will generate. Not sure why they didn't assign the field umpire with pitch counting duties.
    Youth leagues have had pitch counts for years. And while I'm sure there have been arguments, in the 10+ years of high level youth baseball that both my sons played, and at least 1000 games I've coached in and watched, I've never seen one. As long as coaches are checking counts in between innings, there will never be situation like you describe (where there is a 10 pitch difference). Folks expecting to see arguments over pitch counts are going to be disappointed.

  4. #19
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    22,413

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    There's not always a field umpire.
    I'm not sure I've ever seen a high school game without a field umpire.

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Apr 07
    Posts
    792

    Been around high school baseball for over 20 years and have always seen at least one field umpire. In post season play there is multiple field umpires.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,922

    Quote Originally Posted by niner View Post
    Been around high school baseball for over 20 years and have always seen at least one field umpire. In post season play there is multiple field umpires.
    Not at all levels. JV and freshman typically only have one ump.

    Field umps are already keeping balls and strikes. Keeping balls and strikes would require them carrying a second counter of some sort. Not ideal

    Again, you're making much more of this than it really is. Teams keeping pitch counts is not that big of an issue.

  7. #22

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,218

    Quote Originally Posted by gchs_uk9 View Post
    I'm not sure I've ever seen a high school game without a field umpire.
    Quote Originally Posted by niner View Post
    Been around high school baseball for over 20 years and have always seen at least one field umpire. In post season play there is multiple field umpires.
    Two factors:

    Level of play and location.

    In varsity ball you're ALWAYS going to have a field umpire. However, that's not always the case in frosh and JV. In NKY, for example, you never see one for a frosh game and rarely see one for a JV game. Combo of number of available umpires and schools willing to pay for a second umpire.

    I know in other areas you see two for all levels.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,218

    Quote Originally Posted by gchs_uk9 View Post
    I'm not sure I've ever seen a high school game without a field umpire.
    Quote Originally Posted by niner View Post
    Been around high school baseball for over 20 years and have always seen at least one field umpire. In post season play there is multiple field umpires.
    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    Not at all levels. JV and freshman typically only have one ump.

    Field umps are already keeping balls and strikes. Keeping balls and strikes would require them carrying a second counter of some sort. Not ideal

    Again, you're making much more of this than it really is. Teams keeping pitch counts is not that big of an issue.
    Again, may be regional but very few field umpires keep balls and strikes.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,922

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Again, may be regional but very few field umpires keep balls and strikes.
    I stand corrected. Where I'm from, Field umps always kept balls and strikes as well. Honestly, I've never watched to see if it is done...I just assumed it was.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Apr 07
    Posts
    792

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    Not at all levels. JV and freshman typically only have one ump.

    Field umps are already keeping balls and strikes. Keeping balls and strikes would require them carrying a second counter of some sort. Not ideal

    Again, you're making much more of this than it really is. Teams keeping pitch counts is not that big of an issue.
    Been a high school Coach for a long time and have never seen a game at any level done with only one umpire. But I've never been to a freshman or JV game in NKY, only varsity. Maybe that is the norm up there.

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Apr 08
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    11,255

    Quote Originally Posted by niner View Post
    Can't wait for the first argument between coaches on this one. When home team coach tells the visiting coach his pitcher has to come out of the game because he's at 120 pitches and the visiting coach says he doesn't because he only has 110. Visiting pitcher will have to come out because via KHSAA rules home teams pitch counter has the final say. Will make high school baseball a little more interesting to watch with the extracurricular activity this will generate. Not sure why they didn't assign the field umpire with pitch counting duties.
    As others have stated, there isn't always a field umpire. And if there is, they are occupied with other things (check swings, balks, safe/out calls, etc.) so to expect them to get every pitched counted is probably unrealistic for some.

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    I stand corrected. Where I'm from, Field umps always kept balls and strikes as well. Honestly, I've never watched to see if it is done...I just assumed it was.
    I think there are some that keep a mental count (a few may do a clicker as well) but I'm sure most don't.

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Apr 08
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    11,255

    Quote Originally Posted by niner View Post
    Been a high school Coach for a long time and have never seen a game at any level done with only one umpire. But I've never been to a freshman or JV game in NKY, only varsity. Maybe that is the norm up there.
    It is. 9th region only assigns one umpire to freshmen and JV games due to number of umpires and availability. The 8th region has two umpires for all levels.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,922

    Quote Originally Posted by nkuclubbaseball19 View Post
    It is. 9th region only assigns one umpire to freshmen and JV games due to number of umpires and availability. The 8th region has two umpires for all levels.
    10th is the same way

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Dynasty
    Posts
    6,745

    Quote Originally Posted by nkuclubbaseball19 View Post
    I can see a pitcher pitching to the top half of the order, a new pitcher coming in via position change for the bottom half, and a rotating use of them in that fashion.


    A starter can come back to pitch, but a reliever can't. You would have to have a deep staff to do something like that.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Feb 15
    Posts
    26

    Quote Originally Posted by KY Thorobred View Post
    A starter can come back to pitch, but a reliever can't. You would have to have a deep staff to do something like that.
    If you leave the reliever in the game, ie just move him to the outfield, you can put him back in to pitch at anytime.

Top