Johnson County to start a new Cal Ripken league

Page 7 of What does everyone think? Good or bad? Will it hurt the quality of play in both leagues(Cal Ripken and Little League)? There is an article about the le... 114 comments | 7443 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #91
    Sidelines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Posts
    1,553

    Quote Originally Posted by ace in the hole
    This League will really help with kids age 13-19. Kids will get to play a lot more games. It seems like in Litttle League once you turn 13 there is no where to go. Senior League has had a tremendous amount of success in all stars, but really how many games are these kids in this age group playing before all stars?
    For the last 2 years my son played Jr. League. He has played approx. 25 regular season games along with around 22 games in All-Star action in those 2 years.
    I think the Sr. League in the past 2 years have played 4 regular season games and around 16 All-Star games.

    Why doesn't the County start a league that begins in June and runs through Sept.??? Cal Ripken will have their All-Stars starting in June and all those kids that don't make it will be done for the year. This way around 400-500 kids could play all summer!!! That is why they want a new league right??? To get kids involved for a longer period of time.
    Just a thought.
    Advertisement

  2. #92
    ace in the hole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    240

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidelines
    For the last 2 years my son played Jr. League. He has played approx. 25 regular season games along with around 22 games in All-Star action in those 2 years.
    I think the Sr. League in the past 2 years have played 4 regular season games and around 16 All-Star games.

    Why doesn't the County start a league that begins in June and runs through Sept.??? Cal Ripken will have their All-Stars starting in June and all those kids that don't make it will be done for the year. This way around 400-500 kids could play all summer!!! That is why they want a new league right??? To get kids involved for a longer period of time.
    Just a thought.
    I really think they want to be sanctioned and is being talked about playing right up to all stars and then they other kids still playing, kinda like a fall ball.

  3. #93
    MOJO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 04
    Location
    Goodbye to our dear friend All Thumbs, his body has been laid to rest but his soul will live on at BGP!!!
    Posts
    2,133

    Quote Originally Posted by ace in the hole
    This League will really help with kids age 13-19. Kids will get to play a lot more games. It seems like in Litttle League once you turn 13 there is no where to go. Senior League has had a tremendous amount of success in all stars, but really how many games are these kids in this age group playing before all stars?
    Majority of those senior league kids have been playing High School ball all year, so it really doesn't bother them. Most of the guys they pick up along the way that don't play high school, won't play high school and only play in Senior league to have something to do.

  4. #94
    Sidelines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Posts
    1,553

    Quote Originally Posted by ace in the hole
    I really think they want to be sanctioned and is being talked about playing right up to all stars and then they other kids still playing, kinda like a fall ball.
    Give me a league that doesn't have Al-Stars and I'll give you a league that would flourish!!! You wouldn't have to get started til May, and could play til Labor Day and have a great Tourney!!!

  5. #95
    Gold Swarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 05
    Posts
    209

    In discussing the option of Cal Ripken vs. Little League, the article in the paper stated that the kids that played Cal Ripken could also play Little League if they so choose. I have been told by some Little League parents that it is against Little League rules to play in another league while playing Little League so I checked the rule book.

    2005 Official Regulations and Playing Rules for Little League states on page T-4: Participation In Other Programs- Little League, 9-10 Year Old Division, 11 Year Old Division: A player may participate in other youth baseball programs prior to the first game involving that player's team. Once play begins for a tournament team, players named on that tournament team's affidavit may not participate in any other youth baseball program until that team is eliminated from tournament play.

    It appears that you can play both, however if named to all-stars, you must stop playing in one if you are playing all-stars in another. Looks like some kids will play both.

  6. #96
    Sidelines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Posts
    1,553

    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Swarm
    In discussing the option of Cal Ripken vs. Little League, the article in the paper stated that the kids that played Cal Ripken could also play Little League if they so choose. I have been told by some Little League parents that it is against Little League rules to play in another league while playing Little League so I checked the rule book.

    2005 Official Regulations and Playing Rules for Little League states on page T-4: Participation In Other Programs- Little League, 9-10 Year Old Division, 11 Year Old Division: A player may participate in other youth baseball programs prior to the first game involving that player's team. Once play begins for a tournament team, players named on that tournament team's affidavit may not participate in any other youth baseball program until that team is eliminated from tournament play.

    It appears that you can play both, however if named to all-stars, you must stop playing in one if you are playing all-stars in another. Looks like some kids will play both.
    I wish!!!

  7. #97

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    About 20 ft. up in a Summit
    Posts
    766

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidelines
    Give me a league that doesn't have Al-Stars and I'll give you a league that would flourish!!! You wouldn't have to get started til May, and could play til Labor Day and have a great Tourney!!!
    Those are my thoughts exactly, but football will consume alot of your players.

  8. #98

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    About 20 ft. up in a Summit
    Posts
    766

    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Swarm
    In discussing the option of Cal Ripken vs. Little League, the article in the paper stated that the kids that played Cal Ripken could also play Little League if they so choose. I have been told by some Little League parents that it is against Little League rules to play in another league while playing Little League so I checked the rule book.

    2005 Official Regulations and Playing Rules for Little League states on page T-4: Participation In Other Programs- Little League, 9-10 Year Old Division, 11 Year Old Division: A player may participate in other youth baseball programs prior to the first game involving that player's team. Once play begins for a tournament team, players named on that tournament team's affidavit may not participate in any other youth baseball program until that team is eliminated from tournament play.

    It appears that you can play both, however if named to all-stars, you must stop playing in one if you are playing all-stars in another. Looks like some kids will play both.
    Those are tournament rules and would not apply to local league play, UNLESS some foolish adults try to divide the kids.

    Logistically it will be hard to play both because of practice and games will overlap at times. I hope everything works out well down there.

  9. #99
    InTheStands41240's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Posts
    601

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidelines
    p.s. even if it means we don't get to host a State Tourn. next year!
    and even if it means you have to watch from the stands, no matter how much you want to be the coach!
    There are enough people out there that would coach that do not have kids involved and would make excellent coaches but won't get involved because of all this childish hawgwarsh!

    Wow, there is alot of truth in that statement.

  10. #100

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Owensboro
    Posts
    484

    First of all I would like to say that I have absolutely no dog in this fight. I live about as far from Paintsville as you can live. That being said my league Owensboro Southern has been both Bambino (now Cal Ripkin) and currently is Little League. I have coached a team to the Little League World Series. I have to say being involved with both that Little League is without a doubt a much better organization than Cal Ripkin. If you have a choice choose Little League! I have always respected the teams from Paintsville that I have had the priviledge of coaching against. You guys have always had a first class organization. I hope your league stays strong and continues to produce classy hard playing kids in your Little League.

  11. #101
    napster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 05
    Posts
    320

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Nation
    First of all I would like to say that I have absolutely no dog in this fight. I live about as far from Paintsville as you can live. That being said my league Owensboro Southern has been both Bambino (now Cal Ripkin) and currently is Little League. I have coached a team to the Little League World Series. I have to say being involved with both that Little League is without a doubt a much better organization than Cal Ripkin. If you have a choice choose Little League! I have always respected the teams from Paintsville that I have had the priviledge of coaching against. You guys have always had a first class organization. I hope your league stays strong and continues to produce classy hard playing kids in your Little League.
    Check that out!! What an awesome post!!

  12. #102

    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Posts
    199

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Nation
    First of all I would like to say that I have absolutely no dog in this fight. I live about as far from Paintsville as you can live. That being said my league Owensboro Southern has been both Bambino (now Cal Ripkin) and currently is Little League. I have coached a team to the Little League World Series. I have to say being involved with both that Little League is without a doubt a much better organization than Cal Ripkin. If you have a choice choose Little League! I have always respected the teams from Paintsville that I have had the priviledge of coaching against. You guys have always had a first class organization. I hope your league stays strong and continues to produce classy hard playing kids in your Little League.
    Green Nation, I have seen the little league program at Owensboro Southern,and they are where we want to be in this county. It makes no difference weather it is little league or cal ripkin it's still youth baseball. Paintsville Little League has been the primary feeder for Johnson Central and Paintsville for the last fifty years. There is something wrong with the fact that JC has only three senior baseball players this year. Paintsville Little League is one of the better Little League programs in the state, but it is deffinately on the decline. I thank you for your kind words about the program but Johnson County school systems have made a desision to start a new program. From what I hear the the Owensboro program have outstanding facilities,funding,and I can say from my observation at the state tournament in ashland, parental support. Facilities and funding are major problems with the existing Little League program, and it's a shame because there are alot of hard workers in that program. Funding will not be an issue in the new league and good people will be involved. That, in my oppinion is what makes a start to a good program, not the name Little League or Cal Ripken. I would like to thank the people from Paintsville Little League for my experiances there. I'm also thankful for the leaders from Johnson county schools for recognizing that our baseball program is on the decline and trying to do something about it.

  13. #103
    InTheStands41240's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Posts
    601

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Pride 90`
    Green Nation, I have seen the little league program at Owensboro Southern,and they are where we want to be in this county. It makes no difference weather it is little league or cal ripkin it's still youth baseball. Paintsville Little League has been the primary feeder for Johnson Central and Paintsville for the last fifty years. There is something wrong with the fact that JC has only three senior baseball players this year. Paintsville Little League is one of the better Little League programs in the state, but it is deffinately on the decline. I thank you for your kind words about the program but Johnson County school systems have made a desision to start a new program. From what I hear the the Owensboro program have outstanding facilities,funding,and I can say from my observation at the state tournament in ashland, parental support. Facilities and funding are major problems with the existing Little League program, and it's a shame because there are alot of hard workers in that program. Funding will not be an issue in the new league and good people will be involved. That, in my oppinion is what makes a start to a good program, not the name Little League or Cal Ripken. I would like to thank the people from Paintsville Little League for my experiances there. I'm also thankful for the leaders from Johnson county schools for recognizing that our baseball program is on the decline and trying to do something about it.
    Excellent post and welcome to the site... I am looking forward to the Cal Ripken league. I actually got my new bumper stickers for Cal Ripken/Babe Ruth yesterday.

  14. #104

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Pride 90`
    Green Nation, I have seen the little league program at Owensboro Southern,and they are where we want to be in this county. It makes no difference weather it is little league or cal ripkin it's still youth baseball. Paintsville Little League has been the primary feeder for Johnson Central and Paintsville for the last fifty years. There is something wrong with the fact that JC has only three senior baseball players this year. Paintsville Little League is one of the better Little League programs in the state, but it is deffinately on the decline. I thank you for your kind words about the program but Johnson County school systems have made a desision to start a new program. From what I hear the the Owensboro program have outstanding facilities,funding,and I can say from my observation at the state tournament in ashland, parental support. Facilities and funding are major problems with the existing Little League program, and it's a shame because there are alot of hard workers in that program. Funding will not be an issue in the new league and good people will be involved. That, in my oppinion is what makes a start to a good program, not the name Little League or Cal Ripken. I would like to thank the people from Paintsville Little League for my experiances there. I'm also thankful for the leaders from Johnson county schools for recognizing that our baseball program is on the decline and trying to do something about it.
    Good observation EP90. I too have had great experiences with Little League and all involved, but the fact is that youth baseball is on the decline all over.Thankfully the Johnson Co. BOE has recognized this fact and have made the decision to address the issue full bore. When all is said and done Johnson Central will have one of the finest baseball and softball facilities in the state, as well as a state of the art training facility. You are going to see a major overhaul of all the existing facilities as well as the addition of 3 new youth league fields. I have been to a many high schools across the state as well as up and down the eastern seaboard and I cant think of any high school anywhere that will be able to compare with what Johnson Central will have in the next couple of years.If you love baseball it is an exciting time.

  15. #105
    InTheStands41240's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Posts
    601

    Quote Originally Posted by firebird
    Good observation EP90. I too have had great experiences with Little League and all involved, but the fact is that youth baseball is on the decline all over.Thankfully the Johnson Co. BOE has recognized this fact and have made the decision to address the issue full bore. When all is said and done Johnson Central will have one of the finest baseball and softball facilities in the state, as well as a state of the art training facility. You are going to see a major overhaul of all the existing facilities as well as the addition of 3 new youth league fields. I have been to a many high schools across the state as well as up and down the eastern seaboard and I cant think of any high school anywhere that will be able to compare with what Johnson Central will have in the next couple of years.If you love baseball it is an exciting time.
    I certainly hope that is the case with the facilities.. The kids here deserve to play on top notch fields and to have the best of everything. I too have had many postive and rewarding experiences in the Little League but also have seen a decline in the past few years. Hopefully, the Cal Ripken league will bring renewed excitment to the game of baseball for all of the youth in this area. Will I see you doing in coaching in the new league Firebird?

Top