Fall Practice Proposal Loses

Page 3 of How in the heck can the proposal that would allow 10 days of organized baseball in the fall(and softball) not pass? Not only did it not pass, it was a ... 86 comments | 5179 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    21,958

    Quote Originally Posted by Play 2 Win
    You could also have your tryouts in the fall. Then your team is set before spring practice even starts. That would save most teams four days in the spring if nothing else.

    Tryouts in the fall woud be great but what about the players that are playing others sports? Do you think football, cross country, and gof coaches want to lose their kids during their respective season for a 10 day tryout for baseball?
    Advertisement

  2. #32
    BIGZIG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Ludlow, Ky
    Posts
    4,987

    Quote Originally Posted by cshs81
    How in the heck can the proposal that would allow 10 days of organized baseball in the fall(and softball) not pass? Not only did it not pass, it was a blowout.

    Where is the harm?
    It would just be another advantage for the larger schools. Small schools such as Ludlow, Bellevue and Dayton just to name a few would probably be lucky to have a half dozen boys show up for this type of practice because of their fall sports involvement.
    We just keep trying to force more and more things down everyones throats. All the seasons are completely out whack. Baseball is for Spring and Summer.
    Football for late summer and fall and basketball for the winter months. With spring practice for football and summer leagues and AAu in basketball when do these kids get any sort of break. About 10 days in late June and early July. Simply not enough.
    Anyway cshs81 isn't the program you support strong enough? Do you really need 10 days in the fall.

  3. #33
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Quote Originally Posted by BIGZIG
    It would just be another advantage for the larger schools. Small schools such as Ludlow, Bellevue and Dayton just to name a few would probably be lucky to have a half dozen boys show up for this type of practice because of their fall sports involvement.
    We just keep trying to force more and more things down everyones throats. All the seasons are completely out whack. Baseball is for Spring and Summer.
    Football for late summer and fall and basketball for the winter months. With spring practice for football and summer leagues and AAu in basketball when do these kids get any sort of break. About 10 days in late June and early July. Simply not enough.
    Anyway cshs81 isn't the program you support strong enough? Do you really need 10 days in the fall.
    IMO, they need to give everyone 10 days in the off-season or no one. Why can basketball have summer leagues, football have spring practice and baseball cannot have fall practice? It should be all or nothing.

  4. #34
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    21,958

    Quote Originally Posted by stickymitts
    IMO, they need to give everyone 10 days in the off-season or no one. Why can basketball have summer leagues, football have spring practice and baseball cannot have fall practice? It should be all or nothing.

    Baseball can play in the summer just like basketball except during the dead period.

  5. #35
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet16
    Baseball can play in the summer just like basketball except during the dead period.
    But summer baseball is a continuation of a season. Summer basketball is an additional season.

  6. #36
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    21,958

    Quote Originally Posted by stickymitts
    But summer baseball is a continuation of a season. Summer basketball is an additional season.

    It is not a continuation of the actual baseball season. It is summer baseball.

  7. #37
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet16
    It is not a continuation of the actual baseball season. It is summer baseball.
    I know what it is, you're missing my point. Do you think it's fair to a kid that gets cut from a team, even though they can't get outside to see their true ability? As a baseball coach, you have to make cuts based on some groundballs in the gym and some swings in the batting cage.
    A football coach can evaluate and make decisions in the spring for the next football season and they never have weather issues in the summer. Some baseball teams don't even get on the field until they can play their first game.
    If you could see if someone improved or grew into a good baseball player over the summer, it would be huge for the kids as well as the team. I'd hate to be the coach that cuts the next Michael Jordan of baseball because he couldn't hit the year before.

  8. #38
    Pat Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 04
    Location
    GO YANKS!
    Posts
    6,293

    Quote Originally Posted by stickymitts
    I know what it is, you're missing my point. Do you think it's fair to a kid that gets cut from a team, even though they can't get outside to see their true ability? As a baseball coach, you have to make cuts based on some groundballs in the gym and some swings in the batting cage.
    A football coach can evaluate and make decisions in the spring for the next football season and they never have weather issues in the summer. Some baseball teams don't even get on the field until they can play their first game.
    If you could see if someone improved or grew into a good baseball player over the summer, it would be huge for the kids as well as the team. I'd hate to be the coach that cuts the next Michael Jordan of baseball because he couldn't hit the year before.

  9. #39
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    21,958

    Quote Originally Posted by stickymitts
    If you could see if someone improved or grew into a good baseball player over the summer, it would be huge for the kids as well as the team.

    They can work with their kids in the summer except for the dead period.

  10. #40
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet16
    They can work with their kids in the summer except for the dead period.
    Still, not the point. If the coach has a summer team consisting of players from his high school team, how is he going to see the progression of the kids that don't play for him? The "on the bubble" kids are the one's that will be hurt when practicing for 8 days in a gym. Not the kids that played last year or the kids that are studs. They'll still look mediocre at best. Getting them outside in the fall would be extremely beneficial.

  11. #41
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    21,958

    Quote Originally Posted by stickymitts
    Still, not the point. If the coach has a summer team consisting of players from his high school team, how is he going to see the progression of the kids that don't play for him? The "on the bubble" kids are the one's that will be hurt when practicing for 8 days in a gym. Not the kids that played last year or the kids that are studs. They'll still look mediocre at best. Getting them outside in the fall would be extremely beneficial.

    How is it much different than a summer team consisting of players from his HS team in basketball? example AAU

  12. #42
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet16
    How is it much different than a summer team consisting of players from his HS team in basketball? example AAU
    They can play in the high school season and go straight to the AAU season. Whether they're playing for that coach or not, he'll have the opportunity (if he wishes) to see them in team camps during that summer. Again, I wouldn't think it helps more than one kid per year per team, at the most. However, that could be a huge difference.

  13. #43
    bulldog77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    No. Ky.
    Posts
    3,229

    Clearly those opposed to ten simple days of Fall baseball have very little knowledge about, or understanding of the physiological and/or training aspects of the modern game. Baseball players are clearly the least "conditioned" athletes among the major sports at the high school level. That doesn't mean there is no conditioning, just that the physical demands "appear" less than say, football of basketball, but it doesn't mean there aren't physical training needs for baseball athletes. Lawsuits by the hundreds are now lining up in the courts to argue everything from lack of coach training to "little league elbow." In light of all this, what is wrong with allowing a short period to take those athletes who are available and/or willing and give them an opportunity to work with the coach to learn work-out regimens for the winter. Stretching execises, arm strengthening work, etc., etc., etc. Whats wrong with being able to assess the progress of some players after three months of summer baseball (in which more than 90% of high school coaches DO NOT participate)? Who are you harming by allowing this short period of practice that you aren't harming with, oh, say, Spring football? You have the weather, you have the field availibility, you have the kids who are willing, you have the umpires available. If Fall baseball is a threat to football, then why do we allow Spring football? If players need a break form the sport, then why do we have year-round soccer? Summer basketball? Club team volleyball? no, those arguments hold no water. Good athletes want more opportunities to improve, to learn and to play.

  14. #44
    BIGZIG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Ludlow, Ky
    Posts
    4,987

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog77
    Clearly those opposed to ten simple days of Fall baseball have very little knowledge about, or understanding of the physiological and/or training aspects of the modern game. Baseball players are clearly the least "conditioned" athletes among the major sports at the high school level. That doesn't mean there is no conditioning, just that the physical demands "appear" less than say, football of basketball, but it doesn't mean there aren't physical training needs for baseball athletes. Lawsuits by the hundreds are now lining up in the courts to argue everything from lack of coach training to "little league elbow." In light of all this, what is wrong with allowing a short period to take those athletes who are available and/or willing and give them an opportunity to work with the coach to learn work-out regimens for the winter. Stretching execises, arm strengthening work, etc., etc., etc. Whats wrong with being able to assess the progress of some players after three months of summer baseball (in which more than 90% of high school coaches DO NOT participate)? Who are you harming by allowing this short period of practice that you aren't harming with, oh, say, Spring football? You have the weather, you have the field availibility, you have the kids who are willing, you have the umpires available. If Fall baseball is a threat to football, then why do we allow Spring football? If players need a break form the sport, then why do we have year-round soccer? Summer basketball? Club team volleyball? no, those arguments hold no water. Good athletes want more opportunities to improve, to learn and to play.
    Uh, thanks Bulldog77, for simplifying things.

  15. #45
    bulldog77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    No. Ky.
    Posts
    3,229

    Simple version. Kids need to be taught the game and how to prepare their bodies to play it. Two weeks in the Fall would help everyone involved. It would not be a threat to any other sport.

    Simple enough?

Top