Coach Gray Taking advantage of the new Beechwood Digs

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 11
    Posts
    894

    Coach Gray Taking advantage of the new Beechwood Digs

    For the past few days Coach Gray has had the boys practicing in rain and into the darkness. I'm sure some of it was the Freshman team, but must be nice to have turf and lights available. Must be like Field of Dreams for him. If only they could make that turf smell like Fresh Cut Grass and Dirt.

    On a related note...
    I haven't been too involved with BW Baseball the past few years. I did not know Coach Gray, but heard great things. I was already excited about what I was hearing from friends who have kids on the team and then got a chance to meet him and a couple of the new assistant coaches at a BW fundraiser a few weeks ago. This has definitely put the polish back on Tiger Baseball for me. For the first time in a long time I'm pretty excited about seeing Tigers on the diamond.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Mustang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 01
    Location
    Extreme Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    8,042

    Coach Gray will maximize the talents and efforts of the BW baseballers and represent Beechwood High School to the best of their abilities.

    I am happy for Kevin to have this opportunity.

    Building champions and winning championships on the diamond and the hardwood since the mid 90's.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 14
    Posts
    527

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Sports Dad View Post
    For the past few days Coach Gray has had the boys practicing in rain and into the darkness. I'm sure some of it was the Freshman team, but must be nice to have turf and lights available. Must be like Field of Dreams for him. If only they could make that turf smell like Fresh Cut Grass and Dirt.

    On a related note...
    I haven't been too involved with BW Baseball the past few years. I did not know Coach Gray, but heard great things. I was already excited about what I was hearing from friends who have kids on the team and then got a chance to meet him and a couple of the new assistant coaches at a BW fundraiser a few weeks ago. This has definitely put the polish back on Tiger Baseball for me. For the first time in a long time I'm pretty excited about seeing Tigers on the diamond.
    Couldn't agree more on your comments about Coach Gray. The new resources are top notch. Along with the turf and lights, next to the home dugout, they are about 40% into building a good size auxiliary building that the baseball team can work out in... along with other sports.
    The next few years will be exciting, but if you missed that last few years you missed some exciting baseball. The Tigers have won 2 All 'A' Championships in the last 4 years. For a 1a school, that should be your first goal. The teams have been loaded and they may have underachieved a bit. However, they were very fun to watch.
    We need to look into piping dirt and grass smell in. Love that smell !

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    25,365

    Good to hear about the exciting things going on at Beechwood, go Tigers!

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 17
    Posts
    43

    The Tigers have a tough, talented and experienced group of players. Coach Gray and his staff are establishing a new tone in the locker room with high expectations and no BS. They'll fly under the radar because they don't have numerous D1 commits but, as stated in other threads, that doesn't guarantee success. They hit hard, have speed, and have talent on the mound. Can't wait to see them play under the new lights.

  6. #6
    Bench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,028

    Home run hire. Kevin will do big things there.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    271

    Quote Originally Posted by UKatdog View Post
    The Tigers have a tough, talented and experienced group of players. Coach Gray and his staff are establishing a new tone in the locker room with high expectations and no BS. They'll fly under the radar because they don't have numerous D1 commits but, as stated in other threads, that doesn't guarantee success. They hit hard, have speed, and have talent on the mound. Can't wait to see them play under the new lights.
    How are the parents and kids responding to the new “no nonsense” approach?

    Really excited to see what Coach Gray can do. Hear nothing but great things about him.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 17
    Posts
    43

    Quote Originally Posted by BrosefStalin View Post
    How are the parents and kids responding to the new “no nonsense” approach?

    Really excited to see what Coach Gray can do. Hear nothing but great things about him.
    Some have embraced the new spirit and some have decided to take their energy elsewhere. It'll be very interesting to see how, or if, that impacts play on the field. In general, though, most sound excited for the future.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 11
    Posts
    894

    Quote Originally Posted by UKatdog View Post
    Some have embraced the new spirit and some have decided to take their energy elsewhere. It'll be very interesting to see how, or if, that impacts play on the field. In general, though, most sound excited for the future.
    Was not aware of that. I am friends with parents of some key players and they are all positive. I hope the others wake up and don't screw up an opportunity for their kids. I hope the others wake up and see it for what it is. In the long run, I believe the kids will respond to no BS. Its the parents that are the problem. I have been wrong before, but I don't think a particular player or parent will have greater influence over Coaching decisions than others. That was not my (nor my friends with their boys) experience in recent years.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 17
    Posts
    43

    I have not seen a current roster and am going off of conversations with players. So, its all hearsay. However, I think those who were not positive abt the new staff/program have left the program. That's a loss of talent and a little sad. Are you saying that the parents are a problem because they didn't teach the kids to face adversity or do you sense that parents are a problem for the program? Hoping its not the latter. Nobody wants to go into a season with drama, which, personally, I don't see happening here.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    271

    Quote Originally Posted by UKatdog View Post
    I have not seen a current roster and am going off of conversations with players. So, its all hearsay. However, I think those who were not positive abt the new staff/program have left the program. That's a loss of talent and a little sad. Are you saying that the parents are a problem because they didn't teach the kids to face adversity or do you sense that parents are a problem for the program? Hoping its not the latter. Nobody wants to go into a season with drama, which, personally, I don't see happening here.
    Will definitely be interesting to see that final roster and who's not on it that should be. Never fails to amaze me how some parents refuse to understand that demanding discipline, hard work, accountability, etc. is a wonderful thing a coach can bring to a staff. Have heard from many parents in the system and coaches in the area that this was lacking in years past. Bravo to the change in approach...regardless of who departs as a result.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Location
    In enemy territory scouting for the future..
    Posts
    10,228

    The only kids that aren't on the roster that would of made an impact are Wilder and Mescher.. Mescher decided to run track and Wilder decided not to play..

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Dec 17
    Posts
    1,241

    So the new field has lights?

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    271

    Quote Originally Posted by raiderbird View Post
    The only kids that aren't on the roster that would of made an impact are Wilder and Mescher.. Mescher decided to run track and Wilder decided not to play..
    Was Mescher a starter? Wilder is a pretty substantial loss correct?

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Oct 14
    Posts
    527

    Quote Originally Posted by BrosefStalin View Post
    Was Mescher a starter? Wilder is a pretty substantial loss correct?
    Agreed. Wilder was arguably the best CF in nky. Big loss. He was also a top 3 or 4 pitcher.

Top