Blaine Gillim with Twins Scout Team/Scorpions

Page 2 of Blaine Gillim is no doubt one of the most talented LHP in both KY and the nation. Gillim was well on his way in the summer of 2016 with the Scorpions u... 31 comments | 4394 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    May 16
    Posts
    40

    Sorry Dad ... Gillim. Without a doubt, Blain will have success in the 3rd region next spring. Daviess County looks to be the only team to give the Eagles a serious threat. But, DC has a nice lefty in their group in the Whiteker kid who will give Blain a good outing if they meet. Im still sticking to my guns. NICE high school pitcher who has some skills. He doesn't have the body or work ethic to sustain a 90+ fastball over 5 to 7 innings of work, just stating the facts. Ive seen it too many times. His 2 seam FB, 4 seam work great. Can spot any pitch, seen it. Demands the inner third of the plate in 1st pitch situations as well as 1-2 counts and 0-2 counts. Has a hammer for a curve ball. Starts it on the outer half getting outer third red zone strikes (many called for 3rd strikes) because high school kids can't recognize the spin ratio from a lefty. Looks like its going to stay out, ball hits on outer third of plate for strike 3. Most high school umpires aren't even good enough to recognize this pitch. I think his best pitch is the traditional over the top curve ball or "drop ball" that is thrown in 2-2 counts that lands just in front of home plate. Lots of high school kids chase this pitch, but usually end up on 1st because the catcher cant handle or block with the counterspin that sends the ball back to the 1st base side when it hits the dirt. Gillim also needs to work on his change up which he needs to add to his arsenal at the next level......Just stating the BASEBALL FACTS here Dad. Zero DISRESPECT to Blain. Like I said, seen him pitch numerous times, from his youth to High School. Has a bright future if he changes his work ethic and works on the mental part of the game. I hope he finds success after TJ, several do but several dont.
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 15
    Posts
    135

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle3 View Post
    Sorry Dad ... Gillim. Without a doubt, Blain will have success in the 3rd region next spring. Daviess County looks to be the only team to give the Eagles a serious threat. But, DC has a nice lefty in their group in the Whiteker kid who will give Blain a good outing if they meet. Im still sticking to my guns. NICE high school pitcher who has some skills. He doesn't have the body or work ethic to sustain a 90+ fastball over 5 to 7 innings of work, just stating the facts. Ive seen it too many times. His 2 seam FB, 4 seam work great. Can spot any pitch, seen it. Demands the inner third of the plate in 1st pitch situations as well as 1-2 counts and 0-2 counts. Has a hammer for a curve ball. Starts it on the outer half getting outer third red zone strikes (many called for 3rd strikes) because high school kids can't recognize the spin ratio from a lefty. Looks like its going to stay out, ball hits on outer third of plate for strike 3. Most high school umpires aren't even good enough to recognize this pitch. I think his best pitch is the traditional over the top curve ball or "drop ball" that is thrown in 2-2 counts that lands just in front of home plate. Lots of high school kids chase this pitch, but usually end up on 1st because the catcher cant handle or block with the counterspin that sends the ball back to the 1st base side when it hits the dirt. Gillim also needs to work on his change up which he needs to add to his arsenal at the next level......Just stating the BASEBALL FACTS here Dad. Zero DISRESPECT to Blain. Like I said, seen him pitch numerous times, from his youth to High School. Has a bright future if he changes his work ethic and works on the mental part of the game. I hope he finds success after TJ, several do but several dont.
    Ok. A few points. I'm not his father. I like your analysis to some degree except you obviously don't understand pitching or work ethic. Blaine has worked his tail off since he was 7 yes old. He set the bar. Do you think it's easy to play all spring, summer, and fall....with travel and practice. You want FACTS.....look at the stats and the radar gun. BTW....there might be 5 kids in the country that can throw 90+ for 3+ innings. If he could, he would be a 1st rounder....no doubt. Mental toughness....you do realize that Blaine is as solid mentally as anyone. They don't call him Big Game for no reason. All of your insights...which are incorrect....especially your pitch selection in counts (which shows your little league status)....are pre-injury. Blaine's velocity jumped 3-4mph at the PG World Championships. That's FACT. I will say I have tremendous respect for our friends at DC and the other schools. It's gonna be a competitive region next spring. It's a TEAM sport, and Blaine loves his team. Because of his injury, he has been required to undergo a different schedule of training. Work ethic....you are clueless. Do you have any idea how many days this good gets up before the sun rises for baseball. You don't...I do....a bunch. To have the guts to go beyond all he knows to be on a team in South Florida....away from home and family in some cases for weeks. That's a real player. How about Cincinnati....Do you think Dr. Kremchek does UCL surgery on every high school kid that walks into his office.....for free (you do know he is world renowned and the Reds team doctor right). You have no clue as to to remotely evaluate baseball talent, but others do. Have you seen his ranking among LHP on Perfect Game? Kid has been named to the All-Tournament Team in virtually every tournament. If we are talking velocity....of all pitchers recorded by PG for the 2018 class....where is Blaine? Homework....education is the key. That's our difference....you are baseball ignorant. That's no disrespect, it is just that you don't know. You see it....but you don't know what you are seeing.

    Be glad to continue this....I got more free information for you from the 3 MLB teams that have contacted Blaine directly....directly. You think that happens a bunch do ya? Hahaha

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Mar 15
    Posts
    135

    Eagle3....that baseball genius....the kid's name is Blaine Gillim....not Blain Gilliam. Dang it man. "You're killing me Smalls". LMAO. Watch, study, and learn big guy.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Mar 15
    Posts
    135

    The change-up has been added and it's developing fast. He used it in Jupiter a few times. You say you have seen it many times. No you haven't. But I have. After one outing LSU coach was talking to Brad Wilkerson....flat out stated he saw a few things out of Blaine's pitches that you can't teach. Blaine's college choice is very specific to his future path.....very specific. You wouldn't understand so don't worry yourself with such details. Next week....you will hear about it soon enough. You probably won't fully understand....but you fit that type very well.

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Mar 15
    Posts
    135

    Hey Eagle3....ask DC about Blaine's mental toughness. Complete game win in a regional semi-final.....pretty good and rare given OC history. Leading your team to the State Tournament as a Sophomore is fairly rare.....or have you seen that before too. You haven't. Work ethic....after TJ surgery, did he play for his team while he was injured or not? Sure did....didn't have to but he did. Like I said, loves his team and is a competitor. Work ethic? UCL rehab is tough...but Blaine took it to another level....doctor's, physical therapists, chiropractors,weight training, mound work, mechanics work, pitch development, travel.....all while playing a full schedule. That's a player right there...and that is the definition of mental toughness for a high school player. I suppose he could work harder....hahaha. It's so easy to show up and pick a kid apart....all while the kid has the courage and guts to put himself on the stage. Mentally tough....Blaine has handled all the high expectations with hard work, sacrifice, and outstanding performance.

    Next level? Here is where you and I will separate. I know from experience as a next level player and coach.....and you don't I expect You might have been a fair HS player....I don't know. I've gone above and beyond....and created a college program from paper to reality. My point is this....and while I am biased I'm certain of my evaluation.....Blaine Gillim is a high-end player then, now, and hopefully in the future. At Ohio County, he is the best pitcher to put on the uniform.....already. And that is before his Senior year. He is going to dominate in the Spring as he has done previously, and possibly lead his team....again....back to the State Tournament. At the next level, he will develop and also be successful with continued hard work and sacrifice. Next level is next level....it is supposed to be tougher, and it is.

    But even if you watch, you won't see it....you can't. Later Dad

  6. #21

    Join Date
    May 16
    Posts
    40

    I wish the kid nothing but success. Good Luck at Santa Fe!

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Mar 15
    Posts
    135

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle3 View Post
    I wish the kid nothing but success. Good Luck at Santa Fe!
    I am sure you do! But when you have won 3 State Titles, All-District, All-Region, Regional Tournament MVP, PG All-American, and All-Tournament selection At PG Nationals, Team USA, PG World Championship, etc.....you start to think that maybe there is more to it than luck...LOTS of work ethic, great teammates and coaching, and mental toughness. All he does is love the game and do everything he can to get better and do the best he can to follow his dreams in baseball and life.

    Hope to talk to you again. Take care.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    May 17
    Posts
    18

    Now I get it.........You're just messin' with us. I'll admit ya had me going.
    The way you were building him up you either had to be his dad, coach or agent.
    This kid is going to have more pressure on him than Lonzo Ball, especially on a team that went 15-17 last year. That 4th state title will be hard to come by. 2015 West Jessamine, 2016 St. X, 2017 PRP, 2018 OHIO CO.???

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Mar 15
    Posts
    135

    Quote Originally Posted by PlayingHardball View Post
    Now I get it.........You're just messin' with us. I'll admit ya had me going.
    The way you were building him up you either had to be his dad, coach or agent.
    This kid is going to have more pressure on him than Lonzo Ball, especially on a team that went 15-17 last year. That 4th state title will be hard to come by. 2015 West Jessamine, 2016 St. X, 2017 PRP, 2018 OHIO CO.???
    The state titles were in Babe Ruth with Owensboro/Daviess Co. In HS, Ohio Co is yet to get one...that would be great, but unlikely. I don't have to build him up, but I do think his many accomplishments and talent are noteworthy. Last year Ohio Co was 15-17,....Blaine played but didn't pitch because of elbow injury and TJ surgery. If he had pitched, you would see a vastly different record. This year they are very young....lot of work to do to get back to Lexington. But...they are a hard-working, motivated group. Eagle3 only mentioned Daviess County, but the 3rd Region is much deeper. It will be a battle....the 2018 class in the 3rd Region is excellent. I like the Lonzo Ball comment....now that's funny!

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Mar 15
    Posts
    135

    Quote Originally Posted by PlayingHardball View Post
    Now I get it.........You're just messin' with us. I'll admit ya had me going.
    The way you were building him up you either had to be his dad, coach or agent.
    This kid is going to have more pressure on him than Lonzo Ball, especially on a team that went 15-17 last year. That 4th state title will be hard to come by. 2015 West Jessamine, 2016 St. X, 2017 PRP, 2018 OHIO CO.???
    Pressure? From what....a fan forum. Blaine knows better than to pay attention to us....haha. Of course teams will be at their best against him.....I hope so. You see....it's called competition, and that's how you get better. I expect that everybody is gonna be working hard to be as competitive as possible. Every team and individual player always have plenty of room for improvement. Blaine is no different than any other....work, improve, or baseball will eat you alive. He fully understands that fact, and I think that is a motivation.

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Mar 15
    Posts
    135

    Quote Originally Posted by PlayingHardball View Post
    Now I get it.........You're just messin' with us. I'll admit ya had me going.
    The way you were building him up you either had to be his dad, coach or agent.
    This kid is going to have more pressure on him than Lonzo Ball, especially on a team that went 15-17 last year. That 4th state title will be hard to come by. 2015 West Jessamine, 2016 St. X, 2017 PRP, 2018 OHIO CO.???
    Blaine pitched in the Regional semifinal as a 7th grader....and held powerhouse Apollo scoreless for 4 innings....This will be his 6th varsity season. No high school state titles....best Ohio Co have done is final 8. They lost to Campbell Co in Lexington in 2016....with Blaine on the mound 5-2 I think. Campbell Co went on to lose in the championship 1-0 against St. X. I'm sure his main goal is to get another chance in Lexington before moving to the next level. MLB draft possibilities (will all depend on the spring and how the professional scouts see it....unlikely but you never know....but if he gets the chance he will most likely be signable). If not, at Sante Fe and beyond.....He will need to work even harder if he wants to keep moving up.

    See...there you go...no buildup there.

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Nov 17
    Posts
    332

    After all that I hope it is his turn in the rotation when Ohio plays Owensboro. As much grief that OHS has had over the past few seasons I don't know why you'd pitch your ace but I would like the opportunity to see him. Nice that he's come back better and stronger. Love it when a kid gets a chance to fulfill his dream. Good luck and future success.

  13. #28
    00Rocket28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 03
    Location
    So woke
    Posts
    22,584

    This is just a bizarre thread to read.

  14. #29
    00Rocket28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 03
    Location
    So woke
    Posts
    22,584

    Did he have TJ (Tommy John)?

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Mar 15
    Posts
    135

    Quote Originally Posted by 74devil View Post
    After all that I hope it is his turn in the rotation when Ohio plays Owensboro. As much grief that OHS has had over the past few seasons I don't know why you'd pitch your ace but I would like the opportunity to see him. Nice that he's come back better and stronger. Love it when a kid gets a chance to fulfill his dream. Good luck and future success.
    I very much respect that Owensboro program, coaches, and players. They will be a very good team this year. They were last year too. Ohio County would not be the favorite against them. As I said, I think Ohio County is young and unproven as a team. Owensboro would be worthy of anyone's ace. I look forward to watching these teams compete....many friends on both sides of that one and throughout the region. I think it's wide open as to who wins it. I don't see an overall favorite.

Top