The Final Nail in the Coffin for Obamacare?

Page 3 of Anthem Blue Cross Predicted to Flee Obamacare | MRCTV Late Thursday, Feb. 30, CNBC, Reuters, and a few other observant news outlets reported that Anthe... 201 comments | 7112 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    14,546

    Quote Originally Posted by mcpapa View Post
    I, along with 20 million or so who now have insurance, thank you.
    So you're OK with many of us having more expensive (by a lot for me) coverage so that some others benefit?
    Advertisement

  2. #32
    formerkywrestler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Freedom is NORML!
    Posts
    27,266

    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    It seems like only people that voted for Obama has had no change or better coverage, at least in Kentucky.
    I never voted for Obama. I work for an S&P 400 company with large offices in states (KY & TX) Obama got beat in so it's safe to say many of them didn't either.

  3. #33
    lawildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 10
    Location
    The Compound
    Posts
    17,787

    Quote Originally Posted by All Tell View Post
    So you're OK with many of us having more expensive (by a lot for me) coverage so that some others benefit?
    Or with the billions of fines that families have paid for not having coverage. If they didn't have money for insurance, what makes the Govt. think they had money for a fine.

  4. #34
    Jesse James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    9,820

    My family's has went up a lot and the deductibles have went up up up. I feel some either do not have insurance or you are not looking at the bill very close. We were much better off the way it was before Obamacare.

    Do not get me wrong though, I kinda fall more to the center in the fact I think we all need insurance and I am all for helping those who cant afford it. Just different ways than whats being done now. Its pretty easy to see the current system will fail soon.

  5. #35
    plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    17,444

    Quote Originally Posted by mcpapa View Post
    I, along with 20 million or so who now have insurance, thank you.
    At the expense of the rest of us. Why dont we give them free internet and cell phones too.........oh wait.

  6. #36
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    “I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    28,782

    Quote Originally Posted by formerkywrestler View Post
    I never voted for Obama. I work for an S&P 400 company with large offices in states (KY & TX) Obama got beat in so it's safe to say many of them didn't either.
    Apologies to you FKYW, I do indeed remember you not voting for Obama. However, I am still amazed at the people on here not affected by the AHA considering how the vast majority of middle class and lower middle class people I know and have talked to have been rather burdened by it. I'm confused as to how some of you have benefited while the rest of us pray we don't need to use it, even for minor tests. I used to have really good coverage, now, it's a shell of what I used to have and it's much more expensive.

  7. #37
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    57,515

    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    It seems like only people that voted for Obama has had no change or better coverage, at least in Kentucky.
    Would you be surprised if I told you I voted third party?

    Many probably would.

  8. #38
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    57,515

    Quote Originally Posted by lawildcat View Post
    Or with the billions of fines that families have paid for not having coverage. If they didn't have money for insurance, what makes the Govt. think they had money for a fine.
    I will admit that this is the part of the bill that I don't like.

  9. #39
    Hellcats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 14
    Posts
    5,204

    Mine started going up with Gov. Fletcher. He predates Obamacare right ?

    I would get rid of Obamacare too, but I would replace it with single payer. We all would save.

  10. #40
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    57,515

    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    It seems like only people that voted for Obama has had no change or better coverage, at least in Kentucky.
    Just seeing if folks were paying attention in post 37. I did indeed vote for President Obama, twice.

    Our virtually identical coverage? Could be some kind of vast leftist conspiracy. But much more likely a function of timing (being vested in the state retirement system for so many years).

  11. #41
    rockmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    54,708

    My insurance has changed a little. My deductable has gone up a bit, not much though. My share of premiums has gone up a total of $6 in 6 years. I pay less than $60/mo for the best coverage in my life. My employer absolutely has shouldered more of the share, and they switched to Anthem, which not only helped keep the costs in line, but also increased the choice of doctors for our company's employees. Our ownership is a global company, and has operations in at least 8 states, and employees in most states. Under our previous plan, if you lived in Bloomington, or within a drivable radius, your insurance was accepted everywhere. But here in Kentucky, it was not, for instance. And I know exact numbers for the cost sharing shouldered by the company. I am in our Executive Financial review every month. I know exactly what the benefit load is. I also know that our company has done this and still continued to match 4% 401K, contribute profit sharing, improve bonus structure, raise minimum wages at our place to a minimum of $10 (including tipped positions), and add a $5200 annual, up front education benefit for those attending school.

  12. #42
    rockmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    54,708

    All this reminds me of the conversations of wages, that if we don't like what we get paid, we should find better jobs. I think that applies to benefits as well. Different companies offer different benefits. One is prudent to seriously include that in researching potential employers.

  13. #43
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    57,515

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom View Post
    My insurance has changed a little. My deductable has gone up a bit, not much though. My share of premiums has gone up a total of $6 in 6 years. I pay less than $60/mo for the best coverage in my life. My employer absolutely has shouldered more of the share, and they switched to Anthem, which not only helped keep the costs in line, but also increased the choice of doctors for our company's employees. Our ownership is a global company, and has operations in at least 8 states, and employees in most states. Under our previous plan, if you lived in Bloomington, or within a drivable radius, your insurance was accepted everywhere. But here in Kentucky, it was not, for instance. And I know exact numbers for the cost sharing shouldered by the company. I am in our Executive Financial review every month. I know exactly what the benefit load is. I also know that our company has done this and still continued to match 4% 401K, contribute profit sharing, improve bonus structure, raise minimum wages at our place to a minimum of $10 (including tipped positions), and add a $5200 annual, up front education benefit for those attending school.
    Nice package.

    For many, landing with an employer willing to carry a lot of the water helps a lot. I know it did with me.

  14. #44
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    57,515

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom View Post
    All this reminds me of the conversations of wages, that if we don't like what we get paid, we should find better jobs. I think that applies to benefits as well. Different companies offer different benefits. One is prudent to seriously include that in researching potential employers.
    One of the main reasons I stuck with the local CMHC for nearly 30 years.

    Salaries weren't all that great, but health insurance benefits were fantastic, Kentucky retirement and Social Security, a small life insurance policy, etc. If you started out in an entry-level job but wanted to back and get a Master's degree, the CMHC would give a nice assist. Led to the development of a relationship with Lindsey Wilson's School of Professional Counseling.

    After I had been there 10 years I got a sick day a month and 21 vacation days a year. My understanding is that the PTO package has been scaled back quite a bit (pretty much had to do it). But again, I was blessed with good timing and sticking it out there.

  15. #45
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    70,928

    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    Apologies to you FKYW, I do indeed remember you not voting for Obama. However, I am still amazed at the people on here not affected by the AHA considering how the vast majority of middle class and lower middle class people I know and have talked to have been rather burdened by it. I'm confused as to how some of you have benefited while the rest of us pray we don't need to use it, even for minor tests. I used to have really good coverage, now, it's a shell of what I used to have and it's much more expensive.
    Simply put, group plans haven't seen anything close to those that need to purchase it on the individual market.

Top