Should President Trump sign an Executive Order to avoid another United tragedy?

  1. #1
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    125,946

    Should President Trump sign an Executive Order to avoid another United tragedy?

    I just finished talking to an Airport Police Officer about this situation and in short the legalities are clear as mud.

    Since there are so many Airlines, so many Corporations, so many Federal Agencies, so many powerful entities with skin in the game here would it make sense for President Trump to sign a simple Executive Order that very simply outlines a Passenger Bill of Rights?

    It could be real simple in a case like this, anyone asked to give up their seat automatically gets $1000 cash at a minimum. If you are delayed more than 8 hours, $2000 cash. Longer delays or outright cancellation, $5000 cash, case closed.

    Thoughts?
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    44,435

    I can't think of any reason why an executive order would be appropriate for this...

  3. #3
    formerkywrestler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Freedom is NORML!
    Posts
    26,956

    Ummm...no. Hell no.

  4. #4
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Atop Meneltarma, in Numenor, looking to the West...
    Posts
    21,102

    I don't think so. Let the FAA regulatory process handle this.

  5. #5
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    125,946

    Quote Originally Posted by Getslow View Post
    I don't think so. Let the FAA regulatory process handle this.
    I am not picking on you Getslow but the FAA has done such a fantastic job already on this known issue that I am hardly confident.

    You know it will be some convoluted, ambiguous, confusing, laundry list that regular citizens won't know or understand and the Airlines will continue to abuse.

  6. #6
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Atop Meneltarma, in Numenor, looking to the West...
    Posts
    21,102

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    I am not picking on you Getslow but the FAA has done such a fantastic job already on this known issue that I am hardly confident.

    You know it will be some convoluted, ambiguous, confusing, laundry list that regular citizens won't know or understand and the Airlines will continue to abuse.
    So we're going to continue this endless parade of increasingly unchecked executive power instead of subjecting these rules to public comment? Nah, between these last two presidents I'm so sick of executive orders I could puke.

  7. #7
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    125,946

    Quote Originally Posted by Getslow View Post
    So we're going to continue this endless parade of increasingly unchecked executive power instead of subjecting these rules to public comment? Nah, between these last two presidents I'm so sick of executive orders I could puke.
    Fair enough, then what do you do with "broken" Federal Agencies and/or Corporations abusing citizens?

  8. #8
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Atop Meneltarma, in Numenor, looking to the West...
    Posts
    21,102

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    Fair enough, then what do you do with "broken" Federal Agencies and/or Corporations abusing citizens?
    The president picks the people who run these agencies. They in turn manage that bureaucracy.

    Get better people. The best people.

    Isn't that what we were promised?

    And for the doctor at the center of this, the legal system is his recourse. He'll get a payout and one that's hopefully big enough to discourage this behavior in the future.

  9. #9
    formerkywrestler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Freedom is NORML!
    Posts
    26,956

    Quote Originally Posted by Getslow View Post
    The president picks the people who run these agencies. They in turn manage that bureaucracy.

    Get better people. The best people.

    Isn't that what we were promised?
    #DrainTheSwamp

  10. #10
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Atop Meneltarma, in Numenor, looking to the West...
    Posts
    21,102

    In the end, either the FAA is conducting the process of formulating these rules through normal legal channels and then the FAA is responsible for their enforcement, or the president signs some executive order that then has to be interpreted by the enforcement arms at the FAA... and subsequently enforced by the FAA.

  11. #11
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    125,946

    Quote Originally Posted by Getslow View Post
    In the end, either the FAA is conducting the process of formulating these rules through normal legal channels and then the FAA is responsible for their enforcement, or the president signs some executive order that then has to be interpreted by the enforcement arms at the FAA... and subsequently enforced by the FAA.
    Then maybe the Attorney General can quit playing with his Legos and immediately give the FAA some legal guidance for immediate implementation until the FAA can come up with a simple, easy to understand policy that makes the Airlines responsible for shortages instead of bullying paying customers that have done nothing wrong.

  12. #12
    formerkywrestler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Freedom is NORML!
    Posts
    26,956

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    Then maybe the Attorney General can quit playing with his Legos and immediately give the FAA some legal guidance for immediate implementation until the FAA can come up with a simple, easy to understand policy that makes the Airlines responsible for shortages instead of bullying paying customers that have done nothing wrong.
    ...and when airfares start to steadily increase everyone will be complaining.

  13. #13
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Atop Meneltarma, in Numenor, looking to the West...
    Posts
    21,102

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    Then maybe the Attorney General can quit playing with his Legos and immediately give the FAA some legal guidance for immediate implementation until the FAA can come up with a simple, easy to understand policy that makes the Airlines responsible for shortages instead of bullying paying customers that have done nothing wrong.
    This was a screwup to be sure, but I don't know how many new rules would be needed here. Somebody's definitely been fired for this, but it's whoever was working in booking or ticketing or boarding that allowed that plane to board before verifying that no employees needed to deadhead to Louisville for connecting flights. If all this had happened with people just sitting around in the terminal like it usually does, we wouldn't be having this conversation because no one would have been removed from the plane.

    I'm curious, what should the executive order say?

  14. #14
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    58,521

    God no. The last thing we need is more regulations.

  15. #15
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    125,946

    Quote Originally Posted by Getslow View Post
    This was a screwup to be sure, but I don't know how many new rules would be needed here. Somebody's definitely been fired for this, but it's whoever was working in booking or ticketing or boarding that allowed that plane to board before verifying that no employees needed to deadhead to Louisville for connecting flights. If all this had happened with people just sitting around in the terminal like it usually does, we wouldn't be having this conversation because no one would have been removed from the plane.

    I'm curious, what should the executive order say?
    Something real simple like I posted above until the FAA can give us an easy to understand, comprehensive policy. Here is what I posted above:

    It could be real simple in a case like this, anyone asked to give up their seat automatically gets $1000 cash at a minimum. If you are delayed more than 8 hours, $2000 cash. Longer delays or outright cancellation, $5000 cash, case closed.

Top Should President Trump sign an Executive Order to avoid another United tragedy?