Sean Duffy abortion argument

  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 14
    Posts
    110

    Sean Duffy abortion argument



    I would be lying if I said this didn't get me thinking a little bit about this issue. What does everybody think?

    This is my first time posting a video. Hope it posted correctly!
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,223

    Love it. Love the argument. Love the way he used the words of his own body. Persuasive.

    I will freely admit I am not fully educated on abortion laws. Does the Constitution allow for abortions all the way up to the day before birth?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 07
    Location
    Bluegrass Region
    Posts
    10,521

    No constitution has references to the subject that I am aware of. Laws are created by legislators. Constitutions are the domain of the people and not changed by basic law making.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,223

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrasscard View Post
    No constitution has references to the subject that I am aware of. Laws are created by legislators. Constitutions are the domain of the people and not changed by basic law making.
    So we agree the Constitution has been interpreted to allow for abortions.

    States can set their own guidelines then, correct?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 07
    Location
    Bluegrass Region
    Posts
    10,521

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    So we agree the Constitution has been interpreted to allow for abortions.

    States can set their own guidelines then, correct?
    Well, Roe v. Wade did away with out-right bans. It likely struck down lots of state laws there were outright bans. States where bans were legally overturned probably have had to patch-work back in restrictions that are not outright bans. And hence - the battleground, wedge issue or as I view it- the 3rd rail of American politics.

    I think that most Constitutions were written prior to the availability of the procedure so they should not have direct legal reference - pro or con. And most state constitutions are usually fairly static. But some states may have done amendments since the procedure came available.

  6. #6
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    39,803

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    States can set their own guidelines then, correct?
    Yes and No.

    Yes
    There are currently 42 states that have some kind of law on the books regarding late-term abortions, meaning that under certain circumstances (often times natural child-labor) it is no longer legal for an abortion to be performed.

    • There are 18 states that have outright bans on abortion past a certain stage of pregnancy...which is generally accepted to be 22 weeks after the mother's last menstruation.
    • There are 3 states that ban abortion in the third trimester.
    • There other 21 states have laws preventing abortion once "fetal viability" has been reached. These laws allow for a lot of interpretation, though, and are frequently not called into question when abortion clinics begin performing late-term abortions in those states. Is a fetus viable and able to survive on its own if it is at 25 weeks gestation and is simply pulled out of its mother's uterus? How about 30 weeks? How about a fetus at 30 weeks gestation with Downs Syndrome or a treatable heart defect (left untreated)?


    No
    Certain types of late-term abortion have been banned by federal law - most notably partial birth abortion (intact dilation and extraction...the fetus is intentionally turned and delivered breech, but the head is left in the birth canal so "the baby hasn't been born yet". Metzenbaum scissors are inserted into the mother's birth canal and are pushed into the fetus' neck at the base of its skull so as to sever the spinal cord. The scissors are then pushed further into the into the fetus' cranial cavity and opened to create an opening to insert a suction tube to remove as much of the fetus' brain as possible before pulling the head out of the birth canal). The method was initially outlawed in the 90's twice by Congress, but President Clinton vetoed the bills both times. President Bush later banned the method in 2003.

  7. #7
    Irish Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    4,207

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    The fetus is intentionally turned and delivered breech, but the head is left in the birth canal so "the baby hasn't been born yet". Metzenbaum scissors are inserted into the mother's birth canal and are pushed into the fetus' neck at the base of its skull so as to sever the spinal cord. The scissors are then pushed further into the into the fetus' cranial cavity and opened to create an opening to insert a suction tube to remove as much of the fetus' brain as possible before pulling the head out of the birth canal).
    There has got to be special place in you know where for anyone that would do this to a child.

  8. #8
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    48,084

    Very strong message as Clyde said. There is an entire abortion industry in this country with over 1,000,000 abortions last year alone.

    I understand the point made by those pushing Pro-Choice, that Washington should stay out of a woman's womb and let her decide what to do with her body. But as Duffy said, who's speaking for that unborn child? Where are her rights to live?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Posts
    5,774

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    Yes and No.

    Yes
    There are currently 42 states that have some kind of law on the books regarding late-term abortions, meaning that under certain circumstances (often times natural child-labor) it is no longer legal for an abortion to be performed.

    • There are 18 states that have outright bans on abortion past a certain stage of pregnancy...which is generally accepted to be 22 weeks after the mother's last menstruation.
    • There are 3 states that ban abortion in the third trimester.
    • There other 21 states have laws preventing abortion once "fetal viability" has been reached. These laws allow for a lot of interpretation, though, and are frequently not called into question when abortion clinics begin performing late-term abortions in those states. Is a fetus viable and able to survive on its own if it is at 25 weeks gestation and is simply pulled out of its mother's uterus? How about 30 weeks? How about a fetus at 30 weeks gestation with Downs Syndrome or a treatable heart defect (left untreated)?


    No
    Certain types of late-term abortion have been banned by federal law - most notably partial birth abortion (intact dilation and extraction...the fetus is intentionally turned and delivered breech, but the head is left in the birth canal so "the baby hasn't been born yet". Metzenbaum scissors are inserted into the mother's birth canal and are pushed into the fetus' neck at the base of its skull so as to sever the spinal cord. The scissors are then pushed further into the into the fetus' cranial cavity and opened to create an opening to insert a suction tube to remove as much of the fetus' brain as possible before pulling the head out of the birth canal). The method was initially outlawed in the 90's twice by Congress, but President Clinton vetoed the bills both times. President Bush later banned the method in 2003.
    I don't care what side of the abortion issue you are on but you have to be one sick person to call yourself a doctor and do this to a baby...
    Last edited by Randy Parker; May 20, 15 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Rule 8

  10. #10
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    39,803

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cat View Post
    There has got to be special place in you know where for anyone that would do this to a child.
    Quote Originally Posted by ggclfan View Post
    I don't care what side of the abortion issue you are on but you have to be one sick person to call yourself a doctor and do this to a baby...
    President Clinton was a BIG fan of it.
    Last edited by Randy Parker; May 20, 15 at 10:22 AM.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    mnts
    Posts
    13,807

    I get so tired of hearing about a woman's choice because it's her body.

    A man first has to fertilize the egg with his sperm. It still has the MANS DNA and Genes which makes it part of he mans IMO.
    Why does he not have a say with his child, it's not all hers.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,531

    Quote Originally Posted by mountain ref View Post
    I get so tired of hearing about a woman's choice because it's her body.

    A man first has to fertilize the egg with his sperm. It still has the MANS DNA and Genes which makes it part of he mans IMO.
    Why does he not have a say with his child, it's not all hers.
    In cases of rape, incest, sexual abuse?? Suppose the mothers life is in danger if she carries full term? Does the man still get a say?? In order to have the option of pro-choice available in the bad situations (one's that you are ok with abortions being available), the mother must have the choice and control over all situations.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    mnts
    Posts
    13,807

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    In cases of rape, incest, sexual abuse?? Suppose the mothers life is in danger if she carries full term? Does the man still get a say?? In order to have the option of pro-choice available in the bad situations (one's that you are ok with abortions being available), the mother must have the choice and control over all situations.
    No way in those cases does the criminal have a say so

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Posts
    5,774

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    President Clinton was a BIG fan of it.
    And he is a horrible human being IMO... for this reason and MANY others...

  15. #15
    LIPTON BASH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    10,051

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    In cases of rape, incest, sexual abuse?? Suppose the mothers life is in danger if she carries full term? Does the man still get a say?? In order to have the option of pro-choice available in the bad situations (one's that you are ok with abortions being available), the mother must have the choice and control over all situations.
    This as I've stated is what I hate about the pro choice argument. We are talking about less than 1% of cases in your points or even by the most generous estimate 5%.

    So the pro choice defense is always to eliminate 95-99% of babies to make exceptions for a very small minority. .

    Where the logical point would be to find a middle ground and make exception for those cases.

Top