SCOTUS Nomination Battle

Page 17 of Originally Posted by Twotoplace Should be an opportunity for more Roberts arm-twisting and agenda-setting now. Neither of the other two far-right justi... 266 comments | 8207 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #241

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    25,561

    He makes too much sense to be listened to.
    Advertisement

  2. #242
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    Ohio vs. the world!
    Posts
    23,855

    The hardcore lefties don't like when the repubs use the playbook Mr. Biden gave them back in 1992, when he suggested blocking a nomination during an election year.

  3. #243
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    32,984

    Quote Originally Posted by John Anthony View Post
    The hardcore lefties don't like when the repubs use the playbook Mr. Biden gave them back in 1992, when he suggested blocking a nomination during an election year.
    What did Republicans think about Biden's comments in 1992?

  4. #244

    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Posts
    1,812

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    He alone does hold the right and the responsibility to nominate a Supreme Court Justice. Congress has the right to not approve his nominee. They both have a job to do to insure our highest court is fully functioning by having all 9 seats full. To interrupt the process is just stupid.
    I did not say he could not nominate. I said he could not unilaterally 'appoint'. He has the right to nominate and with the approval of Congress, appoint. The approval of Congress is the sticking point here. It is not necessary to vote on a nominee just because a nominee is presented. There is no right to a hearing or even a right to consideration. The Congress can ignore a nomination completely if they so choose.

  5. #245

    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Posts
    1,812

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    What did Republicans think about Biden's comments in 1992?
    Probably the same way Obama feels about them today.

  6. #246
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    32,984

    Quote Originally Posted by WhoozYoDaddy View Post
    Probably the same way Obama feels about them today.
    Hmmmm .....

  7. #247

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,910

    Quote Originally Posted by WhoozYoDaddy View Post
    I did not say he could not nominate. I said he could not unilaterally 'appoint'. He has the right to nominate and with the approval of Congress, appoint. The approval of Congress is the sticking point here. It is not necessary to vote on a nominee just because a nominee is presented. There is no right to a hearing or even a right to consideration. The Congress can ignore a nomination completely if they so choose.
    Yes they can ignore the nomination, and it has been done in the past. However, in this case it's a case of Congress being spiteful. A bunch of grown men and purported leaders acting like elementary school kids.

  8. #248
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    32,984

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    Yes they can ignore the nomination, and it has been done in the past. However, in this case it's a case of Congress being spiteful. A bunch of grown men and purported leaders acting like elementary school kids.
    I was not aware a nomination had been ignored in the past. When did that happen? What is the longest a seat has remained open on the Supreme Court?

  9. #249

    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Posts
    1,812

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    Yes they can ignore the nomination, and it has been done in the past. However, in this case it's a case of Congress being spiteful. A bunch of grown men and purported leaders acting like elementary school kids.
    Politics and spite. A pretty good bet this is the case whenever this issue has come up previously, and will be the case when it comes up in the future. It is the nature of the beast when you have a two party system where political views are so diametrically opposed on so many issues. Garland has shown his distaste for 2nd Amendment rights. The majority in Congress oppose his views on this issue. If he is dead in the water, why waste time and effort considering his nomination?

  10. #250

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,187

    GOP just needs to hold the confirmation, vote no and put the ball back in Presidents court.

  11. #251

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,910

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    I was not aware a nomination had been ignored in the past. When did that happen? What is the longest a seat has remained open on the Supreme Court?
    There have been a dozen or so nominees (mostly in the 1800's) where congress basically chose inaction to force the President to bring a new nominee to the table. Here's a Washington Post article that discusses some of the history that's relevant. Does the Senate have a constitutional responsibility to consider a Supreme Court nomination? - The Washington Post

  12. #252

    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Posts
    1,812

    Name:  sc.png
Views: 43
Size:  20.2 KB

  13. #253

    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Posts
    1,812

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    GOP just needs to hold the confirmation, vote no and put the ball back in Presidents court.
    Why waste time a taxpayer money on a DOA candidate?

  14. #254

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,187

    Quote Originally Posted by WhoozYoDaddy View Post
    Why waste time a taxpayer money on a DOA candidate?
    Why waste time by not doing their job?

  15. #255

    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Posts
    1,812

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Why waste time by not doing their job?
    But they are doing their job. Perhaps not the way some would like them to, but doing it nonetheless.

Top