Page 5 of IMO this whole gun control push is such a dynamic situation. Let me state I am against gun control and all for the 2nd Amendment. However, as someone who has a CCDW license but no gun yet I can't help but be confused about some the stances people are taking in defending the right to own whatever gun you want to own. People say I want to protect my family. Does it really take an AK-47 to protect your family? Does it really take magazine with 22 bullets in it to protect your family? ... 162 comments | 3074 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #81
    Moderator PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    Rebel Arena
    Posts
    52,348
    Quote Originally Posted by plainspoken View Post
    Drug laws hurt the black community? I thought people using drugs hurt their community. Surely you would blame the hurt on those that use rather than the laws against the use.
    When you look at the fact that a person can go to jail for 3-5 years for carrying a few crack rocks on them but get probation for carry the same amount of powder that would produce 3-5 rocks there is a problem. Add in the fact that the crack rock form of cocaine is/was prevalent in the inner city and that powder users tend to be in the suburbs..well....then....there you have it.
    Advertisement
    BIG BLACK JACK likes this.

  2. #82
    Moderator PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    Rebel Arena
    Posts
    52,348
    Quote Originally Posted by plainspoken View Post
    How did any laws target a minority? Are you saying that African Americans have been falsely jailed for drug crimes since the 80's. I thought all of those laws applied to all citizens. If people don't want to be arrested for drug charges, they shouldn't be involved in drugs.
    No. We are saying that blacks have been the target of unfair laws surrounding non-violent drug offenses.

  3. #83
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 11
    Posts
    498
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    When you look at the fact that a person can go to jail for 3-5 years for carrying a few crack rocks on them but get probation for carry the same amount of powder that would produce 3-5 rocks there is a problem. Add in the fact that the crack rock form of cocaine is/was prevalent in the inner city and that powder users tend to be in the suburbs..well....then....there you have it.
    True, they were attacking crack. However, I don't believe that these laws have been upheld through some sort of racist agenda. They arrest criminals who engage in drug crimes.

  4. #84
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 10
    Posts
    1,900
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    Because I don't want to go to jail. Seems like a simple process to me. I don't want to sell drugs because it is illegal and the next kid trying to come up may try to kill me to take my corner. I wouldn't illegally carry a weapon either. I would legally purchase it because I don't want to go to jail.
    But as an individual, I would think you would want to safeguard your most basic natural rights that are not given to you by government. Therefore you do your fighting at the ballot box, volunteer for candidates that is protecting those rights, like Rand Paul (he would end the drug war and realizes the racist background.) or donate money to a group that is dedicated to overturning the unjust laws. I have a few on the top of my head.

  5. #85
    Moderator PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    Rebel Arena
    Posts
    52,348
    Quote Originally Posted by plainspoken View Post
    True, they were attacking crack. However, I don't believe that these laws have been upheld through some sort of racist agenda. They arrest criminals who engage in drug crimes.
    While I agree somewhat there has always been a feeling that these laws do have a racial agenda and the government's inability to reform these laws hasn't done anything to relieve that belief. A non-violent two time drug offender shouldn't be sitting in prison for 15 years.
    marvel likes this.

  6. #86
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 10
    Posts
    1,900
    Quote Originally Posted by plainspoken View Post
    How did any laws target a minority? Are you saying that African Americans have been falsely jailed for drug crimes since the 80's. I thought all of those laws applied to all citizens. If people don't want to be arrested for drug charges, they shouldn't be involved in drugs.
    the-war-on-drugs-is-the-new-slavery

  7. #87
    Premium Member Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    24,623
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    No. My fear of AK-47s and all guns in general for that matter have nothing to do with the president. It has to do with me going to my brother-in-law's house to see his weapons cache and then me wondering what the hell does he need all of that weaponry for.

    To your last part, let me go further, three criminals will never come into my house ever. Not in my neighborhood. Not gonna happen. And if it does it won't be three ninjas who can catch bullets in their teeth.What am I, Jason Bourne? It will be some pill heads who think I have pills. I don't know how familiar you are with Danville, Ky but uh......home invasions very rarely happen. And when it does it is usually the drug dealer getting his PS3 stolen from him by the crackheads he let in to case his house when they were getting their rocks.
    What business is it of yours why he has those guns? You have a problem with collectors?

    So...because "it won't happen in Danville" it won't happen any place else?

    Simply put, you don't sound all that supportive of the 2nd and you, rockmom or any of the others in opposition haven't told me how criminals are going to be limited. The problem with EVERYTHING being proposed is it's ONLY going to affect the law abiding. How do these so called solutions keep schools or my home safe?

  8. #88
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 10
    Posts
    1,900
    'Enough is enough,' Feinstein says in proposing new gun ban - CNN.com

    Feinstein's measure would stop the sale, transfer, importation and manufacture of more than 100 specialty firearms and certain semi-automatic rifles, as well as limiting magazines to 10 rounds or less, she said. Not all of the weapons in the bill meet the technical definition of assault weapons.

    The restrictions would not apply to guns owned before enactment of any law. Feinstein noted her proposal exempts from the ban more than 2,000 models used for hunting or sporting purposes.

    "They are by make and model exempted from the legislation," she said, adding that the old ban had 375 such exemptions.
    However, those grandfathered weapons will be put in a national registry.

  9. #89
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 11
    Posts
    498
    Quote Originally Posted by marvel View Post
    Come on marvel, drug use is the new slavery. Drug use is a choice that carries multiple consequences.

  10. #90
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 11
    Posts
    498
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    While I agree somewhat there has always been a feeling that these laws do have a racial agenda and the government's inability to reform these laws hasn't done anything to relieve that belief. A non-violent two time drug offender shouldn't be sitting in prison for 15 years.
    Its for another thread, but I disagree. It seems like if they are a two time offender the first punishment didn't work.

  11. #91
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 10
    Posts
    1,900
    Quote Originally Posted by plainspoken View Post
    Come on marvel, drug use is the new slavery. Drug use is a choice that carries multiple consequences.
    And it is a poor excuse to throw someone in jail for years. You wonder why they black community is doing so poor in areas? Laws like this. Government intervention has destroyed the black family. Black males are often the target and are the ones in jail. What is that sterotype about black kids and fathers? Why is that? Study: Whites More Likely to Abuse Drugs Than Blacks | TIME.com


    You are correct, its an individual choice, its their body, and that the individual must take responsiblity for. If it doesn't infringe on another perosn's life, liberty or property, the law has no justification. Simple as that.
    mcpapa likes this.

  12. #92
    Premium Member halfback20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    46,473
    Quote Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
    IF RedDawn breaks out, PP92 and Randy can make their way to my house. I live in a militarily advantageous spot on a mountain and am heavily armed. No ridiculous clips. Just lots and lots of ammo.
    Can I come? I'll bring a few guns, a truck, and some ammo I've stored!

  13. #93
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 10
    Posts
    1,900
    Not only drug laws, but gun control as well. You cannot defend this. It is the same thing as making sure black people in urban areas cannot defend themselves, much like the government made sure free slaves couldn't protect themselves agaisnt the KKK.

    Who Goes to Prison Due to Gun Control? | The Beacon

    Perhaps the most telling data concerns the racial makeup of who goes to prison for gun violations. According to the U.S. Sentencing Commission, for Fiscal Year 2011, 49.6% of those sentenced to federal incarceration with a primary offense of firearms violations were black, 20.6% were Hispanic, and only 27.5% were white.

    This is how gun laws actually work—those caught violating them go to prison. For the mere act of owning an illegal weapon—not necessarily for using it, not for threatening anyone with it, not for being irresponsible with it—people who have harmed no one are locked up in prison for years at a time. As with the rest of the criminal justice system, particularly the war on drugs, these laws disproportionately harm the poor and minorities. That is the inescapable reality of gun control.

  14. #94
    Premium Member spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    Limit on the last day,,perfect.
    Posts
    40,675
    Quote Originally Posted by halfback20 View Post
    Can I come? I'll bring a few guns, a truck, and some ammo I've stored!
    By all means. I'll have Wolverines painted on the side of my shed.

  15. #95
    Moderator PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    Rebel Arena
    Posts
    52,348
    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    What business is it of yours why he has those guns? You have a problem with collectors?

    So...because "it won't happen in Danville" it won't happen any place else?

    Simply put, you don't sound all that supportive of the 2nd and you, rockmom or any of the others in opposition haven't told me how criminals are going to be limited. The problem with EVERYTHING being proposed is it's ONLY going to affect the law abiding. How do these so called solutions keep schools or my home safe?
    If he wants to show off his guns that's on him. I didn't ask to see them. I don't care that he has them. He said let me show you my guns. Forgive me for questioning why anyone would need that big of a gun. I question EVERYTHING in life and always will. Just the way it is.

    Criminals will never be limited. If the 2nd Amendment stated it was in place to protect you from criminals then I'd understand. That's not in the literature.

    The problem isn't the guns it's the people with the guns. I don't trust people I don't know with guns. Criminals or law abiding. I really don't care if I don't sound supportive of the 2nd Amendment. If nothing changes then I'm cool with that. If restrictions are put in place I am cool with that too. If that is me not supporting the 2nd Amendment then so be it.

    Wasn't there an Amendment saying blacks were 3/5 of a person? Why is that one okay to change when the times dictate it but it's not okay to change others when the times may dictate it? I'm still having a hard time believing interpretation of the law in 1776 means the same in 2013.

  16. #96
    Moderator PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    Rebel Arena
    Posts
    52,348
    I love the fact that I understand why gun control is being pushed through means I am for gun control. Uh...no. I get why they are doing it. I don't agree with some of the things they want to push through. I will comply with the law.

  17. #97
    Moderator rockmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Hudson, KY-Quietest Place in the State
    Posts
    48,926
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    I love the fact that I understand why gun control is being pushed through means I am for gun control. Uh...no. I get why they are doing it. I don't agree with some of the things they want to push through. I will comply with the law.
    You're either with 'em or against 'em. There's no compromise.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner

  18. #98
    Premium Member spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    Limit on the last day,,perfect.
    Posts
    40,675
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post



    Wasn't there an Amendment saying blacks were 3/5 of a person?
    I saw your picture. You're like me, 5/3 of a person.

  19. #99
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 10
    Posts
    1,900
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride92 View Post
    Wasn't there an Amendment saying blacks were 3/5 of a person? Why is that one okay to change when the times dictate it but it's not okay to change others when the times may dictate it? I'm still having a hard time believing interpretation of the law in 1776 means the same in 2013.
    The difference is the change regarding 3/5ths is its omitting a part of the man-made (government) law and restoring natural law. This is an example of unjust law and insinuates government grants us our rights, rather than we are born with them. This is more freedom. When you are saying restrict firearms, you are restricting freedom.

  20. #100
    Moderator PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    Rebel Arena
    Posts
    52,348
    Quote Originally Posted by marvel View Post
    The difference is the change regarding 3/5ths is its omitting a part of the man-made (government) law and restoring natural law. This is an example of unjust law and insinuates government grants us our rights, rather than we are born with them. This is more freedom. When you are saying restrict firearms, you are restricting freedom.
    I hear you. I guess for me the whole gun control thing comes off to me as the government being fed up with mass shootings and having no logical or true solution to stop it and knee-jerking their reaction and going after guns. I don't feel like 'restricting freedom' is their intent even though in essence that is what they are doing. And I think they are going about it the wrong way as well. I'd rather see them properly research all guns so law abiding citizens aren't the victims but I will still question why anyone needs an AK-47 or any big gun. Collector or not. I know a guy who is a collector and he very very rarely shoots any of his guns.

    I do have a ton of friends and family like Spin so when Red Dawn comes I'll be good and my wife will have her gun soon so when the 3 ninjas attack we'll be safe.