Lexington Mayor Jim Gray to run for U.S. Senate

  1. #1
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    68,980

    Lexington Mayor Jim Gray to run for U.S. Senate

    FRANKFORT, Ky. (WKYT) - Lexington Mayor Jim Gray on Tuesday announced plans that he will run for the U.S. Senate, possibly setting up a race against Republican U.S. Sen. Rand Paul.

    All indications pointed toward Gray jumping into the statewide race before Tuesday's 4 p.m. filing deadline. Gray showed up to file Tuesday morning.

    Gray appeared on Kentucky Newsmakers earlier this year and sounded like a likely candidate.

    Gray, who was re-elected in January of 2015, is in his second term as mayor.



    Lexington Mayor Jim Gray to run for U.S. Senate
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,187

    Oh Boy!

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    7,358

    The lack of passion shown to Paul in this election may have allowed Jim to think he could pull off the win. Seems that before the election started most though Paul was unbeatable but that sentiment has changed.

  4. #4
    capt278's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 08
    Posts
    4,320

    Gray would be horrible for the state.

    He threw the city workers of Lexington under the bus in just about every way possible. It would be no different at the level of Senator. Then, he could throw the entire state under the bus at the first chance.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 10
    Location
    Wherever I want to be
    Posts
    9,163

    Don't know much about him, but he ain't winning. Paul will landslide this state.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    Hunkered Down in the Arena Awaiting Corbin-Knox Central: WWIII
    Posts
    8,978

    Has my vote.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,187

    Quote Originally Posted by Bengal Maniac View Post
    Don't know much about him, but he ain't winning. Paul will landslide this state.
    Paul doesnt have the support he once had. While I do agree he would win vs Gray, I dont think he wins against any candidate.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 10
    Location
    Wherever I want to be
    Posts
    9,163

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Paul doesnt have the support he once had. While I do agree he would win vs Gray, I dont think he wins against any candidate.
    I think in Ky Paul does.

  9. #9
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    54,176

    Quote Originally Posted by capt278 View Post
    Gray would be horrible for the state.

    He threw the city workers of Lexington under the bus in just about every way possible. It would be no different at the level of Senator. Then, he could throw the entire state under the bus at the first chance.
    Please elaborate. I don't read the H-L as much as I used to and I'm not in a research mood.

  10. #10
    LIPTON BASH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    10,079

    Paul wins ky until he wants to .

  11. #11
    capt278's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 08
    Posts
    4,320

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    Please elaborate. I don't read the H-L as much as I used to and I'm not in a research mood.
    First thing is he changed the health insurance for employees. My family plan tripled in price. He went after the Fire/Police pension fund. It is a separate system from the other employees. Other employees are in CERS. He wanted control of the Fire/Police pension fund because it does so well. He wanted to drain the money off of it to other pet projects. Thankfully, Frankfort told him to take a hike. He froze hiring for public safety. This led to brown outs of fire stations and less police on the streets.

    Being a liberal, he hated that he had to participate in collective bargaining with the Fire and Police unions. Seemed odd to me.

    He is all about what is best for Jim Gray. Period.

  12. #12
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    In Lothlorien, where the trees bore flowers of gold and no evil thing ever dared come.
    Posts
    23,122

    The Kentucky Democratic Party can't do much worse than Jack Conway. Let's see what this guy has to offer.

  13. #13
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    33,006

    Quote Originally Posted by capt278 View Post
    First thing is he changed the health insurance for employees. My family plan tripled in price. He went after the Fire/Police pension fund. It is a separate system from the other employees. Other employees are in CERS. He wanted control of the Fire/Police pension fund because it does so well. He wanted to drain the money off of it to other pet projects. Thankfully, Frankfort told him to take a hike. He froze hiring for public safety. This led to brown outs of fire stations and less police on the streets.

    Being a liberal, he hated that he had to participate in collective bargaining with the Fire and Police unions. Seemed odd to me.

    He is all about what is best for Jim Gray. Period.
    All those moves sound like things a Republican would like.

  14. #14
    capt278's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 08
    Posts
    4,320

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    All those moves sound like things a Republican would like.
    Yeah, I really enjoyed it when he tripled my insurance premium and went after my pension.

    Like I said, thankfully Frankfort told him to take a hike.

  15. #15
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    33,006

    Quote Originally Posted by capt278 View Post
    Yeah, I really enjoyed it when he tripled my insurance premium and went after my pension.

    Like I said, thankfully Frankfort told him to take a hike.
    Why do you say being a liberal he hated collective bargaining? Don't liberals like collective bargaining? Is that why you said it seemed odd to you?

Top