Do You Have a favorite Political Analyst ?

Page 2 of I was thinking about this last night and realized something shocking. Some of the ones I like the best are either Republicans or former Republicans. If... 36 comments | 823 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    swamprat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    Uniendo Los Toros
    Posts
    26,861

    Quote Originally Posted by Science Friction View Post
    There ya go.
    "Professional" only means that the "analyst" gets paid to promote his opinion and agenda. Neither of which I am interested in.

    It may surprise many, but I did minor in political science in college. Political science is basically all about the analyzation of statistical data, obtained from various sources, and the presentation of that data, in a specific way, to achieve the political end of an agenda.

    Personally, I prefer to analyze and interpret the data myself and not accept interpretation of a paid spokesperson.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Atop Meneltarma, in Numenor, looking to the West...
    Posts
    21,421

    I don't know how many "analysts" I even know. I definitely have writers I enjoy when it comes to politics, but they tend to be journalists rather than analysts.

  3. #18
    Habib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    Buy the ticket, take the ride
    Posts
    11,992

    Of course, I trust my own thinking, but confirmation bias is a real thing and I think it's important to seek out perspectives different from my own. There are smart, sincere, insightful people out there who don't share your point of view, and I think it's healthy to see their reasoning on different issues. It helps ward off the tendency to overlook evidence that doesn't align with your notions and gives you a better sense of the breadth of thought that exists on a subject.

    With that in mind, and since I'm usually critical of this perspective, here some of the conservative/right-leaning libertarian commentators I follow:

    Philip Klein (on healthcare especially), Michael Brendan Dougherty, Jay Cost, Megan McCardle, Russ Roberts, Reihan Salam, Max Boot, and Jonah Goldberg, among others I'm not remembering.

    Like Getslow, I'm not sure analyst is the word I would use to describe some of these people. But if you're looking for that sort of thing, you can find perspectives from more practitioners/professionals at outlets like the "Cipher Brief" or "War on the Rocks," or more theoretical/empirical work in academic journals like "International Security."

  4. #19
    Science Friction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    "Every atom in our bodies came from a star that exploded. The atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. We are all stardust."
    Posts
    6,974

    I'm really surprised by some of the responses here. I had assumed that many of you watch more political programming. Not saying its a good or bad thing, just very surprising.

  5. #20
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Atop Meneltarma, in Numenor, looking to the West...
    Posts
    21,421

    Quote Originally Posted by Science Friction View Post
    I'm really surprised by some of the responses here. I had assumed that many of you watch more political programming. Not saying its a good or bad thing, just very surprising.
    I would be very surprised if I ever found out I watched more than an average of 30 minutes of televised news per week. It just doesn't interest me.

  6. #21
    Habib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    Buy the ticket, take the ride
    Posts
    11,992

    Quote Originally Posted by Science Friction View Post
    I'm really surprised by some of the responses here. I had assumed that many of you watch more political programming. Not saying its a good or bad thing, just very surprising.
    Quote Originally Posted by Getslow View Post
    I would be very surprised if I ever found out I watched more than an average of 30 minutes of televised news per week. It just doesn't interest me.
    Same here. Besides what's on at work, gym, lobbies, etc. I wouldn't watch any of it.

  7. #22
    Science Friction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    "Every atom in our bodies came from a star that exploded. The atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. We are all stardust."
    Posts
    6,974

    Where I live, almost all of the food establishments and other businesses have FOX on 24/7. I've gotten to where everytime I frequent a local McDonald's(which is not often), I have them to change the channel from FOX to something else. Only once did they seem resistant to my request and I quickly remind them that not all of their patrons wanted to watch that fake news channel.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Dec 10
    Posts
    407

    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Myself. I don't need some analyst to tell me what I just saw or heard. All I need are the facts and I'm more than capable of figuring it out to my satisfaction.
    Whenever you find a credible source for "just the facts and no opinion" please let us all know!

  9. #24
    nkypete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Location
    Taylor Mill, KY
    Posts
    6,624

    In the break room, there is a big screen TV that plays Fox or CNN in the morning and at exactly noon, the TV switches to the other network. I have gotten good at seeing how fast I can go in and grab my lunch or a cup of coffee while ignoring what is currently on the TV. I don't know what is worse - listening to the political analysts from any of these networks or watching the endless commercials for medical products or Lending Tree.

  10. #25
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,103

    Quote Originally Posted by nkypete View Post
    In the break room, there is a big screen TV that plays Fox or CNN in the morning and at exactly noon, the TV switches to the other network. I have gotten good at seeing how fast I can go in and grab my lunch or a cup of coffee while ignoring what is currently on the TV. I don't know what is worse - listening to the political analysts from any of these networks or watching the endless commercials for medical products or Lending Tree.

  11. #26
    swamprat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    Uniendo Los Toros
    Posts
    26,861

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFan View Post
    Whenever you find a credible source for "just the facts and no opinion" please let us all know!
    Information is everywhere...

    Want to know what Congress is doing? Legislative Search Results | Congress.gov | Library of Congress

    What's the White House doing? The White House | whitehouse.gov

    The Judicial Branch? Home - Supreme Court of the United States

    My US Representative? Representative Kathy Castor

    My US Senators? U.S. Senator Bill Nelson | Serving Florida
    https://www.rubio.senate.gov/public/

    My State Legislature? http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/
    https://www.flsenate.gov/

    My Governor? http://www.flgov.com/

    My State Senator? https://www.flsenate.gov/Senators/s18

    My State Representative? https://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Secti...?MemberId=4504

    The State Judicial? http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/

    My County Commission? http://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/en...-commissioners

    My County Commissioner? http://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/en.../sandra-murman

    MY Local Judicial? https://www.hillsclerk.com/

    My Law Enforcement? http://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/

    That's where I get the majority of my information. I also utilize the Hillsborough County Library System and the resources of the University of South Florida, if I need to do in-depth research on a topic.

    You can glean facts from all over the internet, too. Google is your friend. Just be sure that you can satisfy your own sense of data confirmation.

  12. #27
    formerkywrestler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    Freedom is NORML!
    Posts
    27,212

    Quote Originally Posted by mcpapa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom View Post
    Same

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Dec 10
    Posts
    407

    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Information is everywhere...

    Want to know what Congress is doing? Legislative Search Results | Congress.gov | Library of Congress

    What's the White House doing? The White House | whitehouse.gov

    The Judicial Branch? Home - Supreme Court of the United States

    My US Representative? Representative Kathy Castor

    My US Senators? U.S. Senator Bill Nelson | Serving Florida
    https://www.rubio.senate.gov/public/

    My State Legislature? http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/
    https://www.flsenate.gov/

    My Governor? http://www.flgov.com/

    My State Senator? https://www.flsenate.gov/Senators/s18

    My State Representative? https://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Secti...?MemberId=4504

    The State Judicial? http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/

    My County Commission? http://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/en...-commissioners

    My County Commissioner? http://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/en.../sandra-murman

    MY Local Judicial? https://www.hillsclerk.com/

    My Law Enforcement? http://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/

    That's where I get the majority of my information. I also utilize the Hillsborough County Library System and the resources of the University of South Florida, if I need to do in-depth research on a topic.

    You can glean facts from all over the internet, too. Google is your friend. Just be sure that you can satisfy your own sense of data confirmation.
    Number 1 & 3 Ok, I'll trust their facts at pretty much face value

    Numbers 2, 4- 9 All pretty much give their view on the issues......a long way from "just the facts"

    As to "Google is your friend"........since when does Google have any type of fact checking filter......assuming you seldom clear your cache, it even helps to accentuate ones personal view of the world over time.....seldom a good thing!

  14. #29
    rockmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    54,472

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFan View Post
    Number 1 & 3 Ok, I'll trust their facts at pretty much face value

    Numbers 2, 4- 9 All pretty much give their view on the issues......a long way from "just the facts"

    As to "Google is your friend"........since when does Google have any type of fact checking filter......assuming you seldom clear your cache, it even helps to accentuate ones personal view of the world over time.....seldom a good thing!
    So.....where do YOU get your info?

  15. #30
    Hellcats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 14
    Posts
    5,057

    I watch CNN. I read everything. On CNN I like most of the analysts even Geoffrey Lords.

    Axelrod and Gergen are the two I believe are really solid.

Top