Americans Are Split on Whether They Want President Trump Impeached

  1. #1
    newarkcatholicfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    OLD AMERICA
    Posts
    38,854

    Americans Are Split on Whether They Want President Trump Impeached

    Was anyone asked?

    Trump’s overall approval rating varies by the source of the poll. A new national poll from Quinnipiac University has his approval rating at 38 percent, down from 42 percent just after his inauguration.

    His post-inauguration approval rating is a record low compared to his recent predecessors: After his inauguration, Barack Obama’s approval rating was at 76 percent, and George W. Bush’s was 57 percent, according to CNN. Ronald Reagan was the closest to Trump, at 51 percent.


    Americans Are Split on Whether They Want President Trump Impeached — And More Revealing Polls
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    42,781

    Impeached for what exactly?

  3. #3
    newarkcatholicfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    OLD AMERICA
    Posts
    38,854

    Not sure.
    Though I do not like him, nor do I believe he will do anything for the 99%'s, I have not saw where he has done anything to be Impeached.

  4. #4
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    “I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    28,771

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    Impeached for what exactly?
    Because he's a bully, a misogynist, a homophobe, a xenophobe, Hitler and all of the other things he's been called....

  5. #5
    Hellcats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 14
    Posts
    5,203

    He'll do something eventually to be impeached, but he hasn't yet.

    I wonder if some betting agency has the odds on

    1. Impeachment
    2. Charges

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    3,546

    Trust the pools . Always .

  7. #7
    DragonFire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Go home and be a family man.
    Posts
    31,104

    I've had some discussions about these types of things with some friends and coworkers. My view has been:

    1) He hasn't done anything that is worthy of impeachment. Yet. So the talk is rather premature and ridiculous from that standpoint.

    2) Even in the unlikely event that they did vote to impeach him, so what? Does anyone believe they're going to get a 2/3 majority of the Senate to convict? Bill Clinton was acquitted by every single Democrat in the Senate in 1998. Five Republicans voted against convicting on obstruction of justice, and ten voted against perjury. So it was a 50/50 split on obstruction, 45/55 on perjury. Even if every Republican had voted to convict, they'd have needed to swing 12 Democrats.

    I bring that up because that vote, like an increasingly large number of votes since, was almost exclusively on party lines. Do we expect a Republican-majority Senate to vote to convict a sitting president of their own party? And even if some tectonic shifting took place in the next election - let's say it was 55 Democrats in that version - are they going to swing any Republican votes at all? I don't see it.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Location
    Time and Relaive Dimensions in Space
    Posts
    16,577

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    Impeached for what exactly?

    That's my question. I didn't vote for him and he would have to do a lot to make me a fan of his. I want America to succeed and the thought of an impeachment is really not going to do it.

    If he does things that are patently illegal or horribly endangers national security then I would support impeachment, but just being a jerk? No, that isn't impeachment worthy.

  9. #9
    Run To State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    “I've got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to."
    Posts
    28,771

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellcats View Post
    He'll do something eventually to be impeached, but he hasn't yet.

    I wonder if some betting agency has the odds on

    1. Impeachment
    2. Charges
    What do you envision him to do to be impeached or brought up on charges?

  10. #10
    Hellcats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 14
    Posts
    5,203

    Quote Originally Posted by Run To State View Post
    What do you envision him to do to be impeached or brought up on charges?
    IDK
    Russian ties or Business conflicts of interest.

    If I were to guess he will have to make it to 2022. It will take that long to flip the House.

  11. #11
    mountain ref's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    mnts
    Posts
    13,588

    If they didn't impeach Bill for lying on the stand about committing adulterous affair then I doubt it happens.
    Bill Clinton discraced America with what he did.

  12. #12
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    53,238

    Quote Originally Posted by mountain ref View Post
    If they didn't impeach Bill for lying on the stand about committing adulterous affair then I doubt it happens.
    Bill Clinton discraced America with what he did.
    While I'm no fan of Bill Clinton, nothing in the Monica Lewinsky affair jeopardized national security. I'd still like to know more about the Russian stuff to see if that's a legit mark on Trump, though. That part really concerns me.

    The ethical challenges vis-a-vis conflicts of interest with his businesses would be a secondary and probably even tertiary, considering most politicians are intensely ethically challenged, but I can almost live with that if he can perform magic with the overall US economy.

  13. #13
    Hellcats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 14
    Posts
    5,203

    Quote Originally Posted by mountain ref View Post
    If they didn't impeach Bill for lying on the stand about committing adulterous affair then I doubt it happens.
    Bill Clinton discraced America with what he did.
    Bill was impeached just not removed from office. I'm not sure Congress would accomplish both steps on Trump either unless he is just unapologetically dumb, which is a possibility.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Posts
    16,209

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonFire View Post
    I've had some discussions about these types of things with some friends and coworkers. My view has been:

    1) He hasn't done anything that is worthy of impeachment. Yet. So the talk is rather premature and ridiculous from that standpoint.

    2) Even in the unlikely event that they did vote to impeach him, so what? Does anyone believe they're going to get a 2/3 majority of the Senate to convict? Bill Clinton was acquitted by every single Democrat in the Senate in 1998. Five Republicans voted against convicting on obstruction of justice, and ten voted against perjury. So it was a 50/50 split on obstruction, 45/55 on perjury. Even if every Republican had voted to convict, they'd have needed to swing 12 Democrats.

    I bring that up because that vote, like an increasingly large number of votes since, was almost exclusively on party lines. Do we expect a Republican-majority Senate to vote to convict a sitting president of their own party? And even if some tectonic shifting took place in the next election - let's say it was 55 Democrats in that version - are they going to swing any Republican votes at all? I don't see it.
    It would take a Nixon/Watergate type event to get those kind of votes.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Oct 16
    Posts
    1,009

    Quote Originally Posted by mountain ref View Post
    If they didn't impeach Bill for lying on the stand about committing adulterous affair then I doubt it happens.
    Bill Clinton discraced America with what he did.
    Bill Clinton was impeached. He was impeached for lying under oath during a deposition in front of a federal judge. Clinton was tried by the U.S. Senate but not convicted of any of the articles of impeachment.

Top