1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    97

    Default Thoughts on "Plastic Boats"

    I am wanting a small Jon boat and have been looking at the Pelican (some kind of plastic) boats. Anybody here have any experience with them? I basically want something small enough to put in the back of my pickup and go to a small lake or large pond to fish with. It will be my 7yr old (the fisherman), possibly my 11 yr old (would rather be golfing) and myself (pathetic at both-but still loving to try). Pros and Cons welcome.

  2. #2
    Premium Member Neers 44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 06
    Location
    "Mama wanted me to be a preacher. I told her preachin' and coachin' were a lot alike." Bear Bryant
    Posts
    1,177
    Quote Originally Posted by commoncat View Post
    I am wanting a small Jon boat and have been looking at the Pelican (some kind of plastic) boats. Anybody here have any experience with them? I basically want something small enough to put in the back of my pickup and go to a small lake or large pond to fish with. It will be my 7yr old (the fisherman), possibly my 11 yr old (would rather be golfing) and myself (pathetic at both-but still loving to try). Pros and Cons welcome.
    For what you're looking for I see nothing wrong with it. I own one and they're very handy for small lakes, and like you said you can pick them up and throw them in the back of a truck and take off.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by Neers 44 View Post
    For what you're looking for I see nothing wrong with it. I own one and they're very handy for small lakes, and like you said you can pick them up and throw them in the back of a truck and take off.
    The stuff looks good. Do you think it is durable?

  4. #4
    Premium Member Neers 44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 06
    Location
    "Mama wanted me to be a preacher. I told her preachin' and coachin' were a lot alike." Bear Bryant
    Posts
    1,177
    Quote Originally Posted by commoncat View Post
    The stuff looks good. Do you think it is durable?
    The ones I've had over the years are pretty durable. You can't leave it out in the sun, and I wouldn't recommend leaving a plastic boat in other types of weather, but in a little building or garage they seem to hold up pretty good.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    97
    Thanks, sounds good! I'll need to dig a little deeper into the "secret stash of cash" to get it though. What they (wife) don't know won't hurt them.

  6. #6
    Premium Member Neers 44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 06
    Location
    "Mama wanted me to be a preacher. I told her preachin' and coachin' were a lot alike." Bear Bryant
    Posts
    1,177
    Quote Originally Posted by commoncat View Post
    Thanks, sounds good! I'll need to dig a little deeper into the "secret stash of cash" to get it though. What they (wife) don't know won't hurt them.
    Pretty good investment, I had mine out 3 days ago, they just come in real handy when you want to get in and out quickly.

  7. #7
    Premium Member The Greatest fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    In the bleachers
    Posts
    1,152
    No problem with the plastic. I've used canoes and kayaks for over 30 years and never had any problems with it. Well there was the time down on the Red River gorge when that big rock jumped out in front of us, but that wasn't really the canoes fault.

  8. #8
    Premium Member spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    Limit on the last day,,perfect.
    Posts
    38,476
    I had a coleman crawdad some years back and sold it like an idiot. I could pack it and the gear in it with a friend and we took that thing everywhere. Even tied in on the top of a thunderbird once,,,,bad idea.

  9. #9
    Premium Member Neers 44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 06
    Location
    "Mama wanted me to be a preacher. I told her preachin' and coachin' were a lot alike." Bear Bryant
    Posts
    1,177
    Quote Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
    I had a coleman crawdad some years back and sold it like an idiot. I could pack it and the gear in it with a friend and we took that thing everywhere. Even tied in on the top of a thunderbird once,,,,bad idea.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 07
    Posts
    3,302
    The Pelican is a great boat I've had one for years and had no trouble at all.

  11. #11
    Premium Member Neers 44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 06
    Location
    "Mama wanted me to be a preacher. I told her preachin' and coachin' were a lot alike." Bear Bryant
    Posts
    1,177
    I do not have a Pelican, I had my eye on one when I had another plastic boat dumped in my lap, but from the ones I've looked at they look like a pretty safe buy.

  12. #12
    Premium Member oldrambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 06
    Location
    Raceland's "Ram Stadium" - Rupp Arena - tOSU Ohio Stadium : Where Opponets Dreams Go To Die !
    Posts
    33,043
    I think that the small plastic boats would be fine for pond and other small water fishing.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 07
    Location
    Hannitized, USA, Manhattan
    Posts
    842
    Quote Originally Posted by Neers 44 View Post
    For what you're looking for I see nothing wrong with it. I own one and they're very handy for small lakes, and like you said you can pick them up and throw them in the back of a truck and take off.
    We had one of those too at one time. Great for small ponds and was easy to store in the garage.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    97
    Thanks for all the posts. It's one of those things where my mind was probably already made up, but I needed a little reinforcement.

  15. #15
    Premium Member Neers 44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 06
    Location
    "Mama wanted me to be a preacher. I told her preachin' and coachin' were a lot alike." Bear Bryant
    Posts
    1,177
    If you choose this route, enjoy!