Why would private schools stay in KHSAA?

Page 3 of Originally Posted by RockPride yes. Anyone else?> I'm in. Anybody need some cheese and crackers.... 45 comments | 4837 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Posts
    4,912

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    Can the Reds work harder and beat the Cardinals? Not change personnel, line up the same players, simply work harder and ever hope to beat the Cardinals.

    Sometimes it is about working harder and sometimes it gets to the point that no matter how hard you work on a year in and year out scenario, you can't do it. Year in and Year out will the Reds be able to compete with the Yankees and Red Sox?


    .
    You know I would agree with statement if it came from a public school that was clearly superior to all the other public schools .........and it still wasn't enough.

    Let's say Male wins every one of their football games ever year except against X and/or Trinity when they get beat by 20 or more points everytime.

    Then I could agree that no matter what they do it just isn't going to be enough.

    But until the "best" public school in each sport declares that I do not see what splitting out private versus public schools will accomplish.

    Sure there are some public schools that for a variety of reasons can work as hard as they want and they are not going to have a chance. But hey there are also some private schools that can work as hard as possible and they are going to encounter the same result.
    Advertisement

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Location
    Retired From BGP
    Posts
    6,680

    This has to be a 4A thing. Or are there some BBall programs that I'm over looking. The only place that I can think of world domination is in 4A and splitting it to 5 normal districts wouldn't help. Creating a super 16 or 24 wouldn't help. And certainly making them play nothing but privates won't help. They will still dominate whoever they play 95% of the time or better. I guess it just lets the runner ups in 4A feel like they accomplished something.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Louisville; Mason, OH
    Posts
    41,504

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    Also, let's be clear when everyone is stating KHSAA. I would assume that some HS will make the proposal and the other HS's in the state will vote. If this comes to pass, it is the HS's that make up the KHSAA doing it. NOT the commissioner, the commissioner's office or anyone in the KHSAA office in Lexington.
    Exactly, you can bet Tackett and Co. do not want to see this one passed, as Trinity and X have met in the finals twice, and Male and Trinity 3 times, those were all big paydays for the KHSAA.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by All Play No Work
    You know I would agree with statement if it came from a public school that was clearly superior to all the other public schools .........and it still wasn't enough.

    Let's say Male wins every one of their football games ever year except against X and/or Trinity when they get beat by 20 or more points everytime.

    Then I could agree that no matter what they do it just isn't going to be enough.

    But until the "best" public school in each sport declares that I do not see what splitting out private versus public schools will accomplish.

    Sure there are some public schools that for a variety of reasons can work as hard as they want and they are not going to have a chance. But hey there are also some private schools that can work as hard as possible and they are going to encounter the same result.
    I agree with what you are saying in the bolded. My post was simply to address the feeling out there that public schools just need to work harder and quit whining. As you stated and I agree, there are public and private schools that no matter how hard they work, not going to happen.

    Now with that said, let me pose a question, since everyone agrees it is about the kids. Is it good for the kids that 90-95% of the schools in the state can work as hard as they can and not have a chance to win a state championship? Is that a good message? Work as hard as you can and still the ones with all the resources, traditions and advantages are going to win?

    Maybe, just maybe, the attitudes that some posters are labeling the public schools in fostering are a result of the kids simply seeing this as no hope. In today's society that promotes you should have all of your wants/desires filled, it is very difficult to promote to the kids that the battle to be your individual best is the reward, (which should be the goal of every athletic team in the state whether you are a competitor for state or not) not the state championships. And since they can't grasp that and they see no hope in competing against the private schools, they give up. If everyone on here is so worried about the kids, the poor, poor kids, what do we do about this being the real issue?

    And not as some have claimed a few AD's unhappy with not being able to win.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Louisville; Mason, OH
    Posts
    41,504

    Let's start the RPHSAA

  6. #36
    TonyDanza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 04
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    19,003

    Would this be the time to put my vote out there for the RPHSAA???

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Louisville; Mason, OH
    Posts
    41,504

    yes. Anyone else?>

  8. #38
    TonyDanza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 04
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    19,003

    Quote Originally Posted by RockPride
    Let's start the RPHSAA

    Second that
    I am sick of this STUFF...I really wish I could still use my word

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Location
    Retired From BGP
    Posts
    6,680

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    I agree with what you are saying in the bolded. My post was simply to address the feeling out there that public schools just need to work harder and quit whining. As you stated and I agree, there are public and private schools that no matter how hard they work, not going to happen.

    Now with that said, let me pose a question, since everyone agrees it is about the kids. Is it good for the kids that 90-95% of the schools in the state can work as hard as they can and not have a chance to win a state championship? Is that a good message? Work as hard as you can and still the ones with all the resources, traditions and advantages are going to win?
    Somethings in life aren't fair. You have to learn it sometime. But loosing in sports is a very valuable lesson. How kids respond to it and what they take with them from the experience can be far more valuable than a state championship. Not everyone wins. This shouldn't be easy. It should be a huge accomplishment, not an easy one. Over two hundred teams compete each year and only 8 make it to the final game, and even then only 4 are victorious. The other 200 and some odd schools have to learn to deal with defeat. What do you want to do, give everybody a trophy? IMO that mentality is what got us in this trouble in the first place. Kids need to know that sometimes, no matter how hard you work, sometimes you will fail. It's how you respond to failure that is the true measure of your character. Do you quit, cry, whine, or simply go about the buisness of doing all you can do to keep it from happening again. Taking pride in ones accomplishment, even in the face of a loss, seems to be a lost art.

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Posts
    4,912

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    I agree with what you are saying in the bolded. My post was simply to address the feeling out there that public schools just need to work harder and quit whining. As you stated and I agree, there are public and private schools that no matter how hard they work, not going to happen.

    Now with that said, let me pose a question, since everyone agrees it is about the kids. Is it good for the kids that 90-95% of the schools in the state can work as hard as they can and not have a chance to win a state championship? Is that a good message? Work as hard as you can and still the ones with all the resources, traditions and advantages are going to win?
    Sure.

    95% of students in the state of KY (likely 99.9%) have basically no chance of becoming President of the United States. They don't have the money, opportunities, connections etc. They might be the hardest working political science students, the hardest working politicans, the most caring elected official ever, and they are not going to be President.

    But there is no law or rule that says it can't happen.


    90%-95% of the students in the state of KY might never have a legit chance at a state championship in basketball or volleyball. Doesn't stop them from trying as hard as they can.

    If you think about it, some students in KY schools have 0% chance of being a soccer or swimming or football champion because it is not even offered at their school. Is it fair that you could be the best soccer player in your county and not have a team at your school?

  11. #41

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Location
    Retired From BGP
    Posts
    6,680

    Quote Originally Posted by RockPride
    yes. Anyone else?>
    I'm in. Anybody need some cheese and crackers.

  12. #42

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman32
    Somethings in life aren't fair. You have to learn it sometime. But loosing in sports is a very valuable lesson. How kids respond to it and what they take with them from the experience can be far more valuable than a state championship. Not everyone wins. This shouldn't be easy. It should be a huge accomplishment, not an easy one. Over two hundred teams compete each year and only 8 make it to the final game, and even then only 4 are victorious. The other 200 and some odd schools have to learn to deal with defeat. What do you want to do, give everybody a trophy? IMO that mentality is what got us in this trouble in the first place. Kids need to know that sometimes, no matter how hard you work, sometimes you will fail. It's how you respond to failure that is the true measure of your character. Do you quit, cry, whine, or simply go about the buisness of doing all you can do to keep it from happening again. Taking pride in ones accomplishment, even in the face of a loss, seems to be a lost art.
    I agree 100% with what you said. Most of the time, the teams that don't win the state championships are the kids that benefit more. I am sure we can all agree that there is heartache and trials in life. And those that have lost, are learning to deal with issues that will be some of the hardest for them to deal with in their life.

    AND your last sentence, AMEN.

  13. #43

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by All Play No Work
    Sure.

    95% of students in the state of KY (likely 99.9%) have basically no chance of becoming President of the United States. They don't have the money, opportunities, connections etc. They might be the hardest working political science students, the hardest working politicans, the most caring elected official ever, and they are not going to be President.

    But there is no law or rule that says it can't happen.


    90%-95% of the students in the state of KY might never have a legit chance at a state championship in basketball or volleyball. Doesn't stop them from trying as hard as they can.

    If you think about it, some students in KY schools have 0% chance of being a soccer or swimming or football champion because it is not even offered at their school. Is it fair that you could be the best soccer player in your county and not have a team at your school?
    I am not arguing with you, just trying to give a different slant. So many people was talking about the kids, the kids. But the VAST, VAST majority of the kids are the ones with no chance. If you want to talk about the kids, than I offer a different slant.

  14. #44
    Hey-Ref's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 01
    Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    643

    By the numbers

    Doing some quick analysis of past state champions from 1990 to 2004:

    During the last 15 seasons with 60 state champions crowned, here are the numbers broken down.

    4A
    Trinity 5
    St X 5
    Male 3
    Nelson Co and Geo Rogers Clark 1 each

    3A
    Highlands 6
    Boyle Co 3 (to go with 2 2A titles)
    CovCath 3
    Paul Blazer, Bell Co and Bowling Green 1 each

    2A
    Danville 3 (to go with 2 1A titles)
    Breathitt Co 3
    Boyle Co 2 (to go with 3 3A titles)
    Belfry 2
    Mayfield 1 (to go 2 1A titles)
    Ft. Knox, Bourbon Co, Caldwell Co, and Bardstown 1 each

    1A
    Beechwood 8
    Danville 3 (to go with 3 2A titles)
    Mayfield 2 (to go with 1 2A title)
    Middlesboro and Russelville 1 each

    Now you could say that 3 private schools won 13 titles out of 60, which are the only 3 private schools to win titles in those years. You could also say that 2 public schools won 14 of 60. You could also say that no private schools won any 1A or 2A titles of 60. You say that there just is no parity in KHSAA football. Which does not make it unique among the rest of the 49 states. Let's just play football.

  15. #45

    Join Date
    Apr 04
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    1,318

    Quote Originally Posted by RockPride
    Let's start the RPHSAA
    Sounds good. Let's go don't even have to vote on it.

Top