Why can't the public school powers that be get this one through their thick skulls?

Page 5 of Originally Posted by rockmom I'll ask again, then...how is eliminating the private schools from post-season play going to change even one tiny thing ab... 364 comments | 14363 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #61


  2. Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by thomam
    A true public school is required to educate a certain home school area of students. For example, Southern can not turn a way a kid that lives right down the street because he isn't smart enough or gets in to trouble. They have to take him because he lives in that home school area.

    Male, Manual, Butler not having a defined home school area in which they have to educate those kids, makes them to not be a true public school. They get to pick and choose students. They don't have to deal with discipline or kids not making the grade. They kick them out and then those kids have to go to their home school where they may act the same but won't and can't be kciked out.

    Thats the advantage they have. Thats why they are not true public schools.
    I disagree that a school is required to educate a certain home area of students. That's actually a restriction placed by the school district, not a definition of public. I think that the definition of a public school is to provide an education to students who attend that school, at the expense of the community (via taxes). The decision as to whom is allowed to attend a school is at the discretion of the school district.

    From your post above, can I draw the conclusion that you are against open enrollment public schools?

  3. #63



  4. Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigRed
    That's not completely true, if it was, then why would you even have a school in a county or city if you didn't intend to educate your community? If the school taxes are coming from a community, then your first priority is to educate those taxpayers families, thus why tuition is charged for out-of-community people.

    Not sure whatyou're saying here?

  5. #66
    stark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 04
    Location
    I'd Rather Be In Some Dark Holler
    Posts
    2,350

    Is it fair that a private school outside of your county can offer financial aid to student-athletes to gain their enrollment? If you think so, it’s like having a public school playing a college level team that “recruits” their talent in any sporting event - namely football and basketball.

    The REAL argument here is "recruiting." It's not fair for public schools to compete on the gridiron or hardwood with students from their community or communities that their school services, while they are facing private school opponents that can "recruit" the best talent statewide with financial aid or a dorm to live in and the promise of winning a championship.

  6. #67

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    louisville
    Posts
    407

    You disagree but that is fact. Maybe it is a districts choice but why do Male, Manual, and Butler have advantages? Why were they chosen? Not fair to compare them to all other public schools when reporting test scores because they don't play under the same rules.

    Yes, your conclusion is right. Stop the open enrollment. Quit wasting all this money on bussing kids all over the city and use it on actually improving every schools education. Open enrollment has hurt the idea of a community. I believe you should go where you live and If you don't like the school where you live, then move to another district. JCPS claims that all public schools in JC are equal. That is bull and we all know it. We can work on making them equal but not with open enrollment.

  7. #68

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by stark
    Is it fair that a private school outside of your county can offer financial aid to student-athletes to gain their enrollment? If you think so, it’s like having a public school playing a college level team that “recruits” their talent in any sporting event - namely football and basketball.

    The REAL argument here is "recruiting." It's not fair for public schools to compete on the gridiron or hardwood with students from their community or communities that their school services, while they are facing private school opponents that can "recruit" the best talent statewide with financial aid or a dorm to live in and the promise of winning a championship.

    Financial aid is given to STUDENTS IN NEED. Some of those students MAY be athletes. Also, there are NO DORMS at the private schools. Where DO those ideas come from? :creepy:

  8. #69


  9. Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by thomam
    You disagree but that is fact. Maybe it is a districts choice but why do Male, Manual, and Butler have advantages? Why were they chosen? Not fair to compare them to all other public schools when reporting test scores because they don't play under the same rules.

    Yes, your conclusion is right. Stop the open enrollment. Quit wasting all this money on bussing kids all over the city and use it on actually improving every schools education. Open enrollment has hurt the idea of a community. I believe you should go where you live and If you don't like the school where you live, then move to another district. JCPS claims that all public schools in JC are equal. That is bull and we all know it. We can work on making them equal but not with open enrollment.


    So, then, you're an advocate for stopping the Aviation program @ Shawnee, the Computer Science program @ Eastern, etc?

  10. #71
    HighHopes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Posts
    975

    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigRed
    Right, the proposals aren't trying to stop that, just the athletic aspect of it.
    See that is where I have a problem because to me athletics are a part of the total educational experience. Sure they are an extracurricular activity, but they are an activity that is tied into the total school experience.

  11. #72
    stark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 04
    Location
    I'd Rather Be In Some Dark Holler
    Posts
    2,350

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom
    Financial aid is given to STUDENTS IN NEED. Some of those students MAY be athletes. Also, there are NO DORMS at the private schools. Where DO those ideas come from? :creepy:
    Students in need that are talented athletes - not always devote Catholic's in need.

    And I guess a private school like June Buchanan in Knott County doesn't have a dorm room system? :creepy:

  12. #73


  13. Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    louisville
    Posts
    407

    Yep. Magnets are not as popular to students as you think. They are overrated. I believe they should open vocational schools back up. Most of these magnets require higher education for employment. Simply going to a school with a magnet won't guarantee you a job when you get out. Most of them will have to go onto technical school or college in that field.

  14. #75
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    The schools that are trying to get the private schools a separate division, do they expect to gain anything besides a few state championships here or there? Shirley they don't think there enrollment will go up or think that this will have any affect on their academic standards?

Top