Why can't the public school powers that be get this one through their thick skulls?

Page 12 of Originally Posted by rockmom I'll ask again, then...how is eliminating the private schools from post-season play going to change even one tiny thing ab... 364 comments | 14363 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #166

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom
    Question....how many hours of homework should the average public school student expect each night?
    Not nearly as many as they should have and probably less than private schools. But if you are comparing the same quality (top level) of student that is in private schools, I would say 1 hour maybe approaching 2. Difference with public is that you have some students that you ask them to sign their name on a piece of paper for a grade and you will never get it back. So a lot of teachers turn it into classwork or a good portion will fail.



    Also, don't think there are not some politics being played. There are some local superintendents, board members, principals that are probably feeling heat from the local community and this is a method to get that heat off of them. I don't have any evidence to support it but it would not surprise me either.
    Advertisement

  2. #167


  3. Join Date
    Sep 03
    Location
    one more week
    Posts
    3,683

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom
    Question....how many hours of homework should the average public school student expect each night?
    Homework? Well golly gee! We wud never do homework. When we would get to watch tv?

  4. #169

  5. BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    For some privates, No. For some privates, yes. Perception, yes.

    With the portfolios that were EXTREMELY rigid and demanding in the mid-90's, some simply chose to go private.
    Are you serious I can point out many examples of kids who went to Catholic School with me struggled and then went to public school and took softer class and brought their gpa up. Private schools expect the best out of every student. Where as some not all public schools only push to produce from their "upper" academic students. If you need examples I can post schools where this trues. There are a few in NKY who let the kids in "general" classes just squeak by get their diploma without any real effort or work put in.

  6. #171

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    Not nearly as many as they should have and probably less than private schools. But if you are comparing the same quality (top level) of student that is in private schools, I would say 1 hour maybe approaching 2. Difference with public is that you have some students that you ask them to sign their name on a piece of paper for a grade and you will never get it back. So a lot of teachers turn it into classwork or a good portion will fail.



    Also, don't think there are not some politics being played. There are some local superintendents, board members, principals that are probably feeling heat from the local community and this is a method to get that heat off of them. I don't have any evidence to support it but it would not surprise me either.

    The only reason I asked, is because I hear this stuff about KERA all the time. I live in the Seneca school district. When I ride the bus to work, we pick up about 15-20 (depending on the day) kids that go to Seneca. I have NEVER in 2 years of riding the bus with these kids, seen them with a text book, a notebook or even a folder, and none have athletic bags or anything indicating that they are doing anything but dropping into school for a moment. In fact, the only way I know their students is because of their uniforms (which they wear sagging), and the fact they get off at Seneca.

    On the same bus are 4 girls who are riding to Assumption, and 2 to Mercy, and 3 to Presentation. There are 4 boys riding to transfer to get to St. X, and about 10 kids riding to St. Francis here @ 3rd and Broadway. The kids going to the private schools always have a ton of books, gym bags, and the St. Francis boys about decapitate me every morning with their lacrosse sticks.


    How is it that the rigors of KERA are so tough that kids would prefer to spend twice, if not more, time on homework every night?

  7. #172
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigRed
    I don't know how this got to where it is, I was asking about Latonia I think and they were saying that they couldnt' pull enough kids from Latonia but it sounds like they are in covington so they shouldn't have any problems getting students to attend.
    You would be wrong. Their are 4 catholic grade schools in Covington. 3 of which are lucky to graduate 15 in an 8th grade graduting class. When I graduated from 8th grade from St.Augustine I graduated with 13 people. Alot of catholics have moved to suburbs of Taylor Mill and Indpendence. If they only took from Covington each class would be lucky to exceed 50 people. Plus the suburbs surronding would not have a Catholic school option.

    Maybe you do not understand the Catholic school system. But the diocease is not going to build a highschool in every city of the diocease. They build them in area's and break down districts this high schools are suppose to serve. The reason the area's are much larger is because the pool of students is much smaller than the public schools.

  8. #173
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Quote Originally Posted by BigStud
    Are you serious I can point out many examples of kids who went to Catholic School with me struggled and then went to public school and took softer class and brought their gpa up. Private schools expect the best out of every student. Where as some not all public schools only push to produce from their "upper" academic students. If you need examples I can post schools where this trues. There are a few in NKY who let the kids in "general" classes just squeak by get their diploma without any real effort or work put in.
    If you think there aren't kids that "just squeak by" in private schools you are living in a dream world. Of course there are more in the public schools because parents aren't going to pay that amount of money for their kid to "squeak by." It's common sense but I know for a fact there are students like that in private schools.

  9. #174

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigRed
    Uh Huh, tell that to all my friends who were put in catholic school who didn't care either way and as soon as they hit 6th grade, transferred to the public middle school.

    I thought we were talking about kids who were choosing a high school?

  10. #175
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Look at this way while Trinity and X are large. How many catholic schools are there in Louisville? 3 or 4? If there were only this many public schools, what would student enrollment be at the public schools. That is the fair way to compare the sitiuations.

  11. #176
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by stickymitts
    If you think there aren't kids that "just squeak by" in private schools you are living in a dream world. Of course there are more in the public schools because parents aren't going to pay that amount of money for their kid to "squeak by." It's common sense but I know for a fact there are students like that in private schools.
    I've hardly ever heard of a kid having better grades at a Catholic school than a public when putting out the same sort of effort.

  12. #177

    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Posts
    574

    Does anyone know how many privates there are playing football? Also how is a private school supposed to define its boundaries?

  13. #178

  14. stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Quote Originally Posted by BigStud
    I've hardly ever heard of a kid having better grades at a Catholic school than a public when putting out the same sort of effort.
    I have from Highlands. Anyway, that's not what I was talking about. This is the part of the post that I was referring to. It happens everywhere.

    There are a few in NKY who let the kids in "general" classes just squeak by get their diploma without any real effort or work put in.

  15. #180

    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    436

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru
    From the article:




    If this is the main complaint then all the public schools need to do is quit restricting their own boundaries and then this complaint is a non-issue.

    You can't self impose restrictions on your own school district and then complain that others won't do the same. The practice is not only stupid but it is un-american.
    ?????????????? Move or remove the countylines? Put the Garrard line just west of the Danville city limits and put LexCath and any of your other faves on our schedule, guru. I understand your point, but be careful. I'm sure you don't want your beloved private schools having to compete for athletes on a level playing field. That's something they've never had to do previously and likely they couldn't stand up on such a plane.

Top