What is "need based tuition assistance"?

Page 4 of Many private schools raise money through various functions, be it boosters, alumni and so forth. They raise money to help raise money for "need ba... 58 comments | 2775 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #46

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    KY:)
    Posts
    18,096

    Quote Originally Posted by letabrotherspeak
    Look at it this way.
    Why did LC not even begin to put up a fight on the issue?
    There was no other way around it...they were guilty as charged.
    You ever think it might have cost a boatload of money to fight it and it would have been a ton of money wasted more than likely?
    Advertisement

  2. #47
    BIGZIG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Ludlow, Ky
    Posts
    4,987

    I have heard and if I'm wrong then someone please correct me, that NewCath has a girl playing J.V. for them that currently is a student at St Anthonys. I suppose that St Anthony is a feeder school for NCC or Brossart one but is that sort of thing allowed. I guess one could say its not any different then a kid say at Bellevue or Beechwood in their middle school playing up but is it really. Basically a kid at St Anthony or any other parochial middle school is sort of a free agent so to speak and who is to say as a freshmen she won't go Brossart or HC or another parochial school. I guess my main question is simply can a kid play at one school when they are actually enrolled at another. Not looking to start trouble but it was just something that was brought to my attention. Again if I'm wrong on this then please let me know..

  3. #48
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by BIGZIG
    I have heard and if I'm wrong then someone please correct me, that NewCath has a girl playing J.V. for them that currently is a student at St Anthonys. I suppose that St Anthony is a feeder school for NCC or Brossart one but is that sort of thing allowed. I guess one could say its not any different then a kid say at Bellevue or Beechwood in their middle school playing up but is it really. Basically a kid at St Anthony or any other parochial middle school is sort of a free agent so to speak and who is to say as a freshmen she won't go Brossart or HC or another parochial school. I guess my main question is simply can a kid play at one school when they are actually enrolled at another. Not looking to start trouble but it was just something that was brought to my attention. Again if I'm wrong on this then please let me know..
    Zig I've gone over this before. The Diocese of Covington lists each Parish in the diocese as a feeder school to a different High School. I can get the list for each High School if you want. But if you belong to a Catholic Parish outside that High Schools feeder system your tution is higher.

    What St.Anthony is this, I know there is one in Taylor Mill which is a Holy Cross affiliate.

  4. #49

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Posts
    4,912

    Quote Originally Posted by BIGZIG
    I have heard and if I'm wrong then someone please correct me, that NewCath has a girl playing J.V. for them that currently is a student at St Anthonys. I suppose that St Anthony is a feeder school for NCC or Brossart one but is that sort of thing allowed. I guess one could say its not any different then a kid say at Bellevue or Beechwood in their middle school playing up but is it really. Basically a kid at St Anthony or any other parochial middle school is sort of a free agent so to speak and who is to say as a freshmen she won't go Brossart or HC or another parochial school. I guess my main question is simply can a kid play at one school when they are actually enrolled at another. Not looking to start trouble but it was just something that was brought to my attention. Again if I'm wrong on this then please let me know..
    NKY Catholic high schools (and public schools) have used students not yet in high school numerous times. Most often in sports like soccer or to complete a JV of Freshmen team. However, it could be for varsity sports. Highlands girls b-ball team had a 7th grader that was one of their best varsity guards last year and everyone knows Walz played Varsity at Highlands for 6 years.
    Heck, NCC has a Junior High football team (6th/7th/8th grade) where every kid is not in high school but it consist of kids intending to go to high school there. A few may not end up going to NCC for various reasons. There is no St. Anthony's in Bellevue anymore. The school is Holy Trinity.

  5. #50
    BIGZIG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Ludlow, Ky
    Posts
    4,987

    Settle down now fellas I was just asking the question that is all. I only know of one St Anthonys myself and that is the one in Taylor Mill. (Is there one in Campbell Cty???) If so and they do allow middle school kids from outside their school why wouldn't she be playing for HC and not NewCath. Wouldn't HC call this into question or is there just so much switching and swapping that it doesn't get called into question? Anyway middle school kids should play with their own age group IMO. They grow up soon enough and honestly is one middle school kid going to get you over the hump to win a championship? I really kind of doubt it.
    As I said in my 1st post I got this info 2nd hand but from someone who I have a great deal of trust in having solid info. Also it probably is Holy Trinity as was suggested.

  6. #51

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Posts
    4,912

    Quote Originally Posted by BIGZIG
    Settle down now fellas I was just asking the question that is all. I only know of one St Anthonys myself and that is the one in Taylor Mill. (Is there one in Campbell Cty???) If so and they do allow middle school kids from outside their school why wouldn't she be playing for HC and not NewCath. Wouldn't HC call this into question or is there just so much switching and swapping that it doesn't get called into question? Anyway middle school kids should play with their own age group IMO. They grow up soon enough and honestly is one middle school kid going to get you over the hump to win a championship? I really kind of doubt it.
    As I said in my 1st post I got this info 2nd hand but from someone who I have a great deal of trust in having solid info. Also it probably is Holy Trinity as was suggested.
    St. Anthony was a school and parish in Bellevue. Now it is a merged school and parish. Don't know if there is a JV player or not (kind of doubtful since V-ball always has numbers), but as mentioned it is common for middle school students to be used on sports teams (Frosh soccer/Cross Country) that need them in order to exist. It sometimes is nto as common in Private schools as it is in Public schools because of tuition being paid by students.
    As for staying with your own age group that is regulated by the KHSAA for football and wrestling I believe because of the physical nature of those sports. For other sports, while there is no need to rush someone into competition, there is also no need to hold them back. The 8th grader that will play basketball for Highlands Girls varsity this year was solid in varsity games as a 7th grader and would get not as much out of playing in middle school. I believe Simon Kenton Girls b-ball also had a couple of middle schoolers playing Varsity last year.

  7. #52
    BIGZIG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Ludlow, Ky
    Posts
    4,987

    If someone say from Holy Trinity would be moved up to play at NCC does this mean they have made commitment to attend NCC? What happens if as a freshmen the kid enrolls at Brossart or say HC? Are they subject to any sort of penalty at all?

  8. #53

    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Posts
    32,704

    Quote Originally Posted by BIGZIG
    If someone say from Holy Trinity would be moved up to play at NCC does this mean they have made commitment to attend NCC? What happens if as a freshmen the kid enrolls at Brossart or say HC? Are they subject to any sort of penalty at all?
    Just in case this isn't a rhetorical question, the answer is "no, no penalty would apply".

    This issue was the basis for one of the proposed amendments. I think it was voted down.

  9. #54
    BIGZIG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Ludlow, Ky
    Posts
    4,987

    Quote Originally Posted by cshs81
    Just in case this isn't a rhetorical question, the answer is "no, no penalty would apply".

    This issue was the basis for one of the proposed amendments. I think it was voted down.
    Thanks for your answer. I'm just sticking with lets keep middle school kids (public and private) playing against middle school competition. Really no need to rush a kid just to appease a coach or a parent.

  10. #55

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    14,545

    AS I recall one of the public supporters of Prop 20 was upset because as middle schoolers there were some (not sure of the number) students that played varsity for their public high school, that then decided to attend a private school for high school and played with no penalty. Perfectly legal. On this one thing I may agree with Bigzig. Students under 8th grade should not be allowed to compete as varsity athletes at high schools.

  11. #56
    BIGZIG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Ludlow, Ky
    Posts
    4,987

    Quote Originally Posted by All Tell
    AS I recall one of the public supporters of Prop 20 was upset because as middle schoolers there were some (not sure of the number) students that played varsity for their public high school, that then decided to attend a private school for high school and played with no penalty. Perfectly legal. On this one thing I may agree with Bigzig. Students under 8th grade should not be allowed to compete as varsity athletes at high schools.
    I agree with you. I mean whats the rush anyway? Kids 12 and 13 don't need to be playing against girls 3, 4 and even 5 years older then them.
    Everyone knows that the school I support has on a couple of ocassions played some 8th graders in varsity and J.V. games. Yes we have lost a couple to private schools and we have also been able to keep a couple. I just see no advantage to moving a kid that young up.

  12. #57
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,522

    Quote Originally Posted by BIGZIG
    I agree with you. I mean whats the rush anyway? Kids 12 and 13 don't need to be playing against girls 3, 4 and even 5 years older then them.
    Everyone knows that the school I support has on a couple of ocassions played some 8th graders in varsity and J.V. games. Yes we have lost a couple to private schools and we have also been able to keep a couple. I just see no advantage to moving a kid that young up.
    Do you make an exception for girls CC? It seems the middle schoolers do pretty well on the state level, and decline as they get older...

  13. #58
    BIGZIG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Ludlow, Ky
    Posts
    4,987

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime
    Do you make an exception for girls CC? It seems the middle schoolers do pretty well on the state level, and decline as they get older...
    Personally no I wouldn't make an exception but I understand why some may think otherwise when it concerns CC.

  14. #59

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Posts
    4,912

    Quote Originally Posted by BIGZIG
    Personally no I wouldn't make an exception but I understand why some may think otherwise when it concerns CC.
    I would estimate with my best guess that MOST times when a middle school student (private or public) is moved to a Frosh or JV team it is so a team can exist and I see nothing wrong with that as long as they (the moved up students) are physically able to compete. And with Golf, Cross Country, Swimming, Track, Volleyball there is little concern for being physicaly over-matched. Soccer or Basketball could be a different story especially if the student is moved to a Varsity roster, and of course in Football it is not allowed.

    Bottom line is no parent or coach should put a student-athlete in a dangerous situation and I have yet to see one who has. Any middle-schoolers that I have seen play Frosh, JV, or Varsity could more than handle it.

    BTW, did you know..... When Jamie Walz started for Highlands Varsity basketball as a 7th grader it was the first time she had ever played against Girls.

Top