What is "need based tuition assistance"?

Page 2 of Many private schools raise money through various functions, be it boosters, alumni and so forth. They raise money to help raise money for "need ba... 58 comments | 2774 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    Xman85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,115

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    My ears perked at this information. Why is no tuition provided in grade school? It seems if there is a need for it at the HS level, there is a need at all of the other levels. Why the difference?

    The cynic would say that is when athletics would come into play.

    There are athletics involved in grade school. There are very competetive leagues in grade school. In Louisville the CSAA organizes a variety of sports including football, basketball, volleyball, baseball, field hockey, softball, soccer etc...I'm sure I'm leaving some out. The CSAA has almost all of the same rules as the KHSAA including transfer rules and eligibilty rules. Some Indiana schools play in this league. There are not many catholic schhols in Indiana to play...so they compete over here...You can check out their website for rules...sports...etc LOUCSAA.com
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Posts
    32,704

    Quote Originally Posted by Oxnard
    If you have had any experience applying for college financial aid, you should understand how this works, and how your personal finances are scrutinized to make a judgement on how much tuition your family can afford to pay, and how much tuition assistance is needed. This is not rocket science.
    Fortunately, the aid process for Catholic high schools is much more realistic in determining what a family can contribute as compared to the ridiculous calculations you get with applying for financial aid for college.

  3. #18
    RunFirst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 05
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    857

    IF you are really interested, which I seriously doubt, you may read to your heartís content here:
    http://www.trinityrocks.net/index.php?p=177

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Posts
    39

    FYI Tuition aid is available at the Catholic Grade Schools - Most of the aid is raised by events such as Summer Picinics, Fish Fry's etc. - you know - parents work so the kids benefit

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    Southgate
    Posts
    6,592

    At the NKY Catholic Grade School that my brother's children attend they have a program where a parent volunteers to work at consession stands at the Bengals and Reds games and this in turn helps to pay for his kids tuitions . I believe PKI has this same program . At My Parish we used to have Bingo to help support the school but we now have a weekly Raffel additionly everyone in the parish is expected to donate a certain minimuu amount every Sunday to help run the school . We are asked to tithe but it is not required. We are one of the few parishes that does not have tuition for it's grade school.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by 15 time
    FYI Tuition aid is available at the Catholic Grade Schools - Most of the aid is raised by events such as Summer Picinics, Fish Fry's etc. - you know - parents work so the kids benefit

    I didn't know that! Of course, my oldest is in college now, and the youngest about to graduate high school, so....that tells you how long ago my most recent experience is.

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Location
    one more week
    Posts
    3,683

    Quote Originally Posted by 15 time
    FYI Tuition aid is available at the Catholic Grade Schools - Most of the aid is raised by events such as Summer Picinics, Fish Fry's etc. - you know - parents work so the kids benefit
    Parents work so the kids benefit! What a novel idea! Can anyone do this or only private schools?

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by Hasbeen
    Parents work so the kids benefit! What a novel idea! Can anyone do this or only private schools?

    I don't know.....

    I do know that over the years, I've sold everything from oranges, to Avon, to ponsettias (sp?), to candy to calanders.........I've bought raffle tickets, worked cake wheels, made cakes, donated groceries and such to provide prizes for picnics. I've also donated monies for special projects, etc. If this is only something private schools can do, I think it's a shame.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Aug 02
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Posts
    8,526

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom
    I don't know.....

    I do know that over the years, I've sold everything from oranges, to Avon, to ponsettias (sp?), to candy to calanders.........I've bought raffle tickets, worked cake wheels, made cakes, donated groceries and such to provide prizes for picnics. I've also donated monies for special projects, etc. If this is only something private schools can do, I think it's a shame.
    I beleive Hasbeen was being slightly sarcastic

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by Bert
    I beleive Hasbeen was being slightly sarcastic

    I need a nap....that's like the 5th thing in 2 days I didn't pick up on. :creepy: :sleep:

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Location
    one more week
    Posts
    3,683

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom
    I need a nap....that's like the 5th thing in 2 days I didn't pick up on. :creepy: :sleep:
    I'm still amused that you saw fit to provide me a list of things you've bought/donated/contributed. I think you've become so involved in the discussion you're not noticing who you're debating with.

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by Hasbeen
    I'm still amused that you saw fit to provide me a list of things you've bought/donated/contributed. I think you've become so involved in the discussion you're not noticing who you're debating with.

    You have a point....as usual right on target!

  13. #28
    JC Alumni 76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Posts
    3,266

    Quote Originally Posted by letabrotherspeak
    Many private schools raise money through various functions, be it boosters, alumni and so forth.
    They raise money to help raise money for "need based tuition assistance".
    What exactly is "need based tuition assistance"? How is that different from a scholarship or partial scholarship?
    How does one qualify?
    Is it possible that you see a stud 8th grade baseball, basketball, or football player who would be a welcome addition but his family doesnt have much money, so then one can dip into this fund and pay for his tuition?
    Need Based Tuition can be summed up in 11 letters: SCHOLARSHIP

  14. #29
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,522

    Quote Originally Posted by JC Alumni 76
    Need Based Tuition can be summed up in 11 letters: SCHOLARSHIP
    So, let's make your post a little more clear. You are saying Privates recruit athletes that they know have a better than average chance at being approved for aid. That would mean they look for athletes from families in financial problem areas. Do you have proof of this claim???

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    276

    Quote Originally Posted by JC Alumni 76
    Need Based Tuition can be summed up in 11 letters: SCHOLARSHIP
    You certainly have a problem with this issue. Number one, you have no understanding of how the financial aid system works, and number two, you have nothing of substance whatsoever to back up your claims. So, until you do, your posts mean absolutely nothing. Begone. :fire:

Top