What is legal/fair?

  1. #1
    sticku's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    One row shy of all washed up.
    Posts
    308

    What is legal/fair?

    Should a public school that has open enrollment be allowed to actively recruit students from other districts/counties/cities/states? Would red flags go up if Louisville kids public/private starting recieving literature from surrounding counties/cities/states? If the above scenerio is currently allowed, what is the basis by which we identify the students we want to recruit?
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    louisville
    Posts
    407

    Recruiting will be a problem as long as there is open enrollment in areas. Get over it. If kids had to go where they lived then coaches wouldn't waste their time. They would take what they get and you would see good parity in lots of sports.

  3. #3
    02Ram54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Teddy 4 Heisman
    Posts
    19,296

    Quote Originally Posted by thomam
    Recruiting will be a problem as long as there is open enrollment in areas. Get over it. If kids had to go where they lived then coaches wouldn't waste their time. They would take what they get and you would see good parity in lots of sports.
    Well, thank the Lord that our education system is better than that...

    All closed enrollment would do would be to swell Trinity, X, Assumption and Sacred Heart's student populations...

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    louisville
    Posts
    407

    I doubt that. Not everyone can afford those schools.

  5. #5
    02Ram54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Teddy 4 Heisman
    Posts
    19,296

    Quote Originally Posted by thomam
    I doubt that. Not everyone can afford those schools.
    Those that could, would. If there were no open enrollment, Trinity would have been my home school...

  6. #6
    sticku's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    One row shy of all washed up.
    Posts
    308

    Is there an answer? Can schools with open enrolment actively recruit kids from other cities/counties/states? I'm talking about a non JCPS recruiting students from other counties/district/cties/and states. Can we currently do that? Can we send literature to public and/or privates school students outside of our county/district inviting them to enroll at our outstanding academic school? Would the KHSAA jump in and slap the cuffs on us?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    louisville
    Posts
    407

    No Trinity wouldn't have. Its a catholc school. It does not have a resides area therefore it cannot be your home school. It may have been your school of choice.

  8. #8
    02Ram54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Teddy 4 Heisman
    Posts
    19,296

    Quote Originally Posted by thomam
    No Trinity wouldn't have. Its a catholc school. It does not have a resides area therefore it cannot be your home school. It may have been your school of choice.
    That was the joke, man... I don't live ANYWHERE near Trinity.

  9. #9
    sticku's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    One row shy of all washed up.
    Posts
    308

    Can anyone answer this question? Or do we not want to answer the question? I do know that some schools (private) can do all of the previously mentioned. Is there a double standard? Would a public county school get sanctioned if we started actively recruiting students across county/state/city/district lines?

  10. #10
    Thunderstruck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Location
    Southeastern Kentucky
    Posts
    490

    Quote Originally Posted by sticku
    Can anyone answer this question? Or do we not want to answer the question? I do know that some schools (private) can do all of the previously mentioned. Is there a double standard? Would a public county school get sanctioned if we started actively recruiting students across county/state/city/district lines?
    Can you spell D-E-A-T-H P-E-N-A-L-T-Y Of course they would be sanctioned. AND the privates would be yelling the loudest.

  11. #11
    Thunderstruck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Location
    Southeastern Kentucky
    Posts
    490

    What is fair is not always legal and what is legal is not always fair....that is life. Generally I think people want equal and of course equal does not mean fair either, nor does it mean legal, but you can make anything legal whether its fair or equal or not.

    Now, just how confusing is that?

    That is the battle in a nut shell between the "pubic" and "private" schools.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
    What is fair is not always legal and what is legal is not always fair....that is life. Generally I think people want equal and of course equal does not mean fair either, nor does it mean legal, but you can make anything legal whether its fair or equal or not.

    Now, just how confusing is that?

    That is the battle in a nut shell between the "pubic" and "private" schools.

    So....it all boils down to there is no such thing as equitable in competition.

  13. #13
    sticku's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    One row shy of all washed up.
    Posts
    308

    Other opinions?

    One person has stated that a public school would/should/could receive KHSAA sanctions for actively recruiting students outside of it's county, district, city, and/or state. Private schools apparently can and do this. Why can't we? Or maybe we can and we just don't know it? Is this part of the classic "quit whining and work harder" rational? Should we work harder at recruiting the right students? Are there any private school defenders that want to weigh in on this?

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    103

    As I read KHSAA ByLaw 10 there is no legal recruitment. I suggest that if any poster has not read the document that you do so. Open enrollment is a choice of the local Board of Education for each public district. Open enrollment does not cross district boundary lines. For students living in one district to attend another district and have their ADA follow them contracts between districts must be signed. The receiving district may also charge tuition. If a district is allowing students to attend without receiving their ADA or tuition equivalent they are doing a disservice to their own patrons, educating out-of-district students for free.

  15. #15
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by sticku
    One person has stated that a public school would/should/could receive KHSAA sanctions for actively recruiting students outside of it's county, district, city, and/or state. Private schools apparently can and do this. Why can't we? Or maybe we can and we just don't know it? Is this part of the classic "quit whining and work harder" rational? Should we work harder at recruiting the right students? Are there any private school defenders that want to weigh in on this?
    There is no recruiting.

Top