What if there was a split.. but the champs played each other in an exhibition tourny?

Page 2 of Originally Posted by All Tell Off topic question....Does basketball season EVER end in Kentucky? All Sports seasons, as far as HS goes, ends during the... 31 comments | 1647 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    Central, KY
    Posts
    246

    Quote Originally Posted by All Play No Work
    If I was a private school I would stay the first year and as soon as something wasn't fair or equal I'd haul out the lawyers.

    So if the public cross-country championships are held at the Horse Park then the private school championships better be held there too.

    Of course since the KHSAA doesn't bother to play the Girls Sweet 16 at Rupp but does the Boys they are probably pretty good at defending that already.

    Before anyone claims that the Boys tourney makes enough money to warrant Rupp try telling the KHSAA you make more money with boys playing on Friday and see what they say.
    I was under the impression that the Girls Tournament was played in the best arena in the state that regularly holds girls or women's basketball games. Is that not true? There isn't enough parking at the Coliseum on UK's campus. An no other college gym is big enough. Even UK women will play less in Rupp in the future, partly (according to UK folk) because some of the players don't like playing in a big cave, but rather like playing in a gym built for womens/girls basketball that has a tournament atmosphere.

    Maybe I missed something here, but I don't recall anything saying everything had to be in the biggest facility. In that case, state baseball should be at Slugger Field regardless of the cost or revenue, and the football playoffs should be at Commonwealth with 60000 empty seats and torn up turf.

    And if the public schools band together and vote for separate tournaments, shouldn't the private schools have some say in where they play their tournaments? Frankly, they probably don't want to play in a far off place with no local schools, or in a place 12 times bigger than is needed for their games/tournaments.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    Oldbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    Fort Thomas, KY
    Posts
    24,544

    Why do the girls and boys not alternate weeks anymore?

  3. #18

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    Central, KY
    Posts
    246

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldbird
    Why do the girls and boys not alternate weeks anymore?
    As I remember hearing, the KHSAA moved around 1995 or so to play the boys during NCAA mens first round to minimize conflicts with Rupp Arena, and to play girls in the week after. Has been that way ever since. I think that was right after the tournaments in Louisville where few people came for various reasons.

    Starting in 2007, the girls will be first for a five year period according to a news info item I saw on KHSAA web site.

  4. #19
    Oldbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    Fort Thomas, KY
    Posts
    24,544

    Quote Originally Posted by runningref
    As I remember hearing, the KHSAA moved around 1995 or so to play the boys during NCAA mens first round to minimize conflicts with Rupp Arena, and to play girls in the week after. Has been that way ever since. I think that was right after the tournaments in Louisville where few people came for various reasons.

    Starting in 2007, the girls will be first for a five year period according to a news info item I saw on KHSAA web site.
    Thanks.

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Posts
    4,912

    Quote Originally Posted by runningref
    I was under the impression that the Girls Tournament was played in the best arena in the state that regularly holds girls or women's basketball games. Is that not true? There isn't enough parking at the Coliseum on UK's campus. An no other college gym is big enough. Even UK women will play less in Rupp in the future, partly (according to UK folk) because some of the players don't like playing in a big cave, but rather like playing in a gym built for womens/girls basketball that has a tournament atmosphere.

    Maybe I missed something here, but I don't recall anything saying everything had to be in the biggest facility. In that case, state baseball should be at Slugger Field regardless of the cost or revenue, and the football playoffs should be at Commonwealth with 60000 empty seats and torn up turf.

    And if the public schools band together and vote for separate tournaments, shouldn't the private schools have some say in where they play their tournaments? Frankly, they probably don't want to play in a far off place with no local schools, or in a place 12 times bigger than is needed for their games/tournaments.
    The point is try having a high school Girls team play regular season games in a gym other than the Boys team and you will be in Title IX trouble.

    Try playing the Boys games on Friday night always because they draw the biggest crowds and you will be in Title IX trouble.

    But come Sweet 16 time it is okay to shuffle the Girls off to another gym because they can't make money for the KHSAA playing at Rupp. If it is okay to do that then, why not let schools make money on regular season games too. If they truly believe in Title IX then let them put their wallet where their mouth is.

    Also notice that Friday nights don't seem to be a night Volleyball needs to play on...........hmmm is that because the KHSAA would never be stupid enough to mess with football?

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by All Play No Work
    The point is try having a high school Girls team play regular season games in a gym other than the Boys team and you will be in Title IX trouble.

    Try playing the Boys games on Friday night always because they draw the biggest crowds and you will be in Title IX trouble.


    But come Sweet 16 time it is okay to shuffle the Girls off to another gym because they can't make money for the KHSAA playing at Rupp. If it is okay to do that then, why not let schools make money on regular season games too. If they truly believe in Title IX then let them put their wallet where their mouth is.

    Also notice that Friday nights don't seem to be a night Volleyball needs to play on...........hmmm is that because the KHSAA would never be stupid enough to mess with football?
    Just a little misleading. You could play boys bball at home every Friday night as long as you have the girls at home every Saturday night. The boys/girls have to have similar but not exact PRIME TIME games at HOME. Saturday at 1:00 would be considered primetime as much as Friday night. So if the boys have 6 home games on Friday nights throughout the season, the girls need 5-6 home games on either Friday night or Saturday anytime during the day.

  7. #22
    TomSportsHack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    Proudly flying the flag.
    Posts
    8,175

    Quote Originally Posted by All Play No Work
    If there was a split (which there will not be) the KHSAA better start figuring out how it is going to hold two Sweet 16 tourneys at Rupp Arena and how it is going to hold 8 championship games at PJS and how it is going to hold two volleyball chamionships, two cross country championships etc without going broke.
    There would barely be enough private schools for one class in football -- if I'm counting right (and I'm not certain) there would be six current 1A teams, three out of current 2A, two from 3A, and two from 4A, along with non-classified Evangel Christian. That fact is one of the glaring weaknesses of Prop 20.

  8. #23
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by All Play No Work
    The point is try having a high school Girls team play regular season games in a gym other than the Boys team and you will be in Title IX trouble.

    Try playing the Boys games on Friday night always because they draw the biggest crowds and you will be in Title IX trouble.

    But come Sweet 16 time it is okay to shuffle the Girls off to another gym because they can't make money for the KHSAA playing at Rupp. If it is okay to do that then, why not let schools make money on regular season games too. If they truly believe in Title IX then let them put their wallet where their mouth is.

    Also notice that Friday nights don't seem to be a night Volleyball needs to play on...........hmmm is that because the KHSAA would never be stupid enough to mess with football?
    Taking boys games away from Friday night has hurt alot of teams in the revenue department.

  9. #24
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    Just a little misleading. You could play boys bball at home every Friday night as long as you have the girls at home every Saturday night. The boys/girls have to have similar but not exact PRIME TIME games at HOME. Saturday at 1:00 would be considered primetime as much as Friday night. So if the boys have 6 home games on Friday nights throughout the season, the girls need 5-6 home games on either Friday night or Saturday anytime during the day.
    Thats fine , but boys basketball needs to be friday nights. Its a state tradition and the night most supporters can attend a game. I've been to both a girls friday night and a guys friday night in the same season at my alma mater. The amount of fans is not even comparable.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by BigStud
    Thats fine , but boys basketball needs to be friday nights. Its a state tradition and the night most supporters can attend a game. I've been to both a girls friday night and a guys friday night in the same season at my alma mater. The amount of fans is not even comparable.
    So $ should be the driving force behind athletic decisions?

    And with your contention that Friday night is the night most supporters can attend a game, you could make the same assumption with the girls. Their supporters might not be able to attend a Thursday or Monday night game.

    Over in the P & R forum in a discussion on Evolution and Intelligent Design, it has been pointed out to me several times that what the majority thinks or feels does not make it right or correct.

  11. #26
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    So $ should be the driving force behind athletic decisions?

    And with your contention that Friday night is the night most supporters can attend a game, you could make the same assumption with the girls. Their supporters might not be able to attend a Thursday or Monday night game.

    Over in the P & R forum in a discussion on Evolution and Intelligent Design, it has been pointed out to me several times that what the majority thinks or feels does not make it right or correct.
    $ should not be the only factor. But lets not be naive here. Boys basketball is much more popular than girls. There is no arguement. Its not a debate, its a mere fact. On any level boys/mens basketball is attended more. At some schools the boys basketball games is one of its biggest revenue generator. So why should schools be crippled at the gate for some lame PR move.

    I'm not going to be PI here, life isn't always fair. The fact of the matter is when they guys get friday's it works better.

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Louisville; Mason, OH
    Posts
    41,504

    I still wish we would play, 1a -vs- 3a, and 2a -vs- 4a, to name THE STATE CHAMP

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by RockPride
    I still wish we would play, 1a -vs- 3a, and 2a -vs- 4a, to name THE STATE CHAMP
    I am sure the basketball coaches waiting for their players to finish football season would not be happy with another 2-3 weeks of extending the football season.

  14. #29
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    I am sure the basketball coaches waiting for their players to finish football season would not be happy with another 2-3 weeks of extending the football season.
    Well you obviously can't appease everyone. Shoot, we start basketball a full month before Ohio and they seem to be doing fine.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    14,545

    Off topic question....Does basketball season EVER end in Kentucky?

Top