What did the recent KY Teacher Pension Protest in Frankfort accomplish?

  1. #1
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    139,067

    What did the recent KY Teacher Pension Protest in Frankfort accomplish?

    I think it accomplished plenty for the other side meaning it let the Teachers vent, enjoy spring break, and now get back to work, but I have no idea what it accomplished to actually help current and future teachers?

    Anyone?
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    19,642

    Did KEA or the teachers bring anything new to the table in resolutions or anything? I havent followed it much since last week.

  3. #3
    Hellcats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 14
    Posts
    5,746

    I don’t know how to talk about this without discussing legislators and the budget and pension bill.

  4. #4
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    139,067

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellcats View Post
    I don’t know how to talk about this without discussing legislators and the budget and pension bill.
    I suppose you would tell us how the budget or pension changed to the positive for Teachers.

    Or, you would tell us what else "The Protest" accomplished?

  5. #5
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    29,461

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellcats View Post
    I don’t know how to talk about this without discussing legislators and the budget and pension bill.
    Agree. Is there an angle in this that isn't politics?

    Maybe ... the pension changes were significantly less drastic than what was being proposed? Can we say that?

  6. #6
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    139,067

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Agree. Is there an angle in this that isn't politics?

    Maybe ... the pension changes were significantly less drastic than what was being proposed? Can we say that?
    We can stipulate "The Teachers" are Political Wizards and "The Protest" will have some Political Benefit in the future.

  7. #7
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    139,067

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Maybe ... the pension changes were significantly less drastic than what was being proposed? Can we say that?
    If that is the case, we can say that?

    Were there any changes?

  8. #8
    Hellcats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 14
    Posts
    5,746

    FWIW, if it is vetoed no one accomplished anything.

    Teacher presence kept SEEK funding, restored transportation funding, and eliminated charter school funding from budget.

    The pension reform bill passed so quickly that teacher presence was too small to make a change.

  9. #9
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    139,067

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellcats View Post
    FWIW, if it is vetoed no one accomplished anything.

    Teacher presence kept SEEK funding, restored transportation funding, and eliminated charter school funding from budget.

    The pension reform bill passed so quickly that teacher presence was too small to make a change.
    That is a shame on Charter School Funding.

  10. #10
    Hellcats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 14
    Posts
    5,746

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    That is a shame on Charter School Funding.
    Can’t fund them both effectively.

  11. #11
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    139,067

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellcats View Post
    Can’t fund them both effectively.
    I think the whole point of all of this is there isn't enough money, we already know that.

    We need competition, not status quo.

  12. #12
    Bengal Maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 10
    Location
    Wherever I want to be
    Posts
    8,820

    Not sure a day or two accomplishes much. There was a healthy presence throughout from retired teachers and administrators, though, that probably saved COLA for retired teachers and some budgetary things. Hard to tell what else, though because so much was done behind closed doors like always.

    Now if teachers stay away for weeks it will get movement because it affects most with parents of public school students. They lose work time or have to dig into their pockets to pay day care. I am not debating whether this is right or wrong, but it will cause those problems and the legisature usually takes the blame and/or they feel the pressure. Teachers know that. Again, not saying right or wrong, but what happens. Going further into that gets political.

    Funding charter schools is nothing more than taxpayers paying for private, sort and select, schools. All under the guise of school choice.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    25,397

    Many protests are playing the long end game where the first step is simply to publicize the issue. They did accomplish that as there are a lot more people talking about it since the protests.

  14. #14
    Hellcats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 14
    Posts
    5,746

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    I think the whole point of all of this is there isn't enough money, we already know that.

    We need competition, not status quo.
    I struggle with the draw of charters. Why not just inject more funding in the public school setting to lower class size rather than fund an entirely new school?

  15. #15
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    139,067

    Quote Originally Posted by Bengal Maniac View Post
    Not sure a day or two accomplishes much. There was a healthy presence throughout from retired teachers and administrators, though, that probably saved COLA for retired teachers and some budgetary things. Hard to tell what else, though because so much was done behind closed doors like always.

    Now if teachers stay away for weeks it will get movement because it affects most with parents of public school students. They lose work time or have to dig into their pockets to pay day care. I am not debating whether this is right or wrong, but it will cause those problems and the legisature usually takes the blame and/or they feel the pressure. Teachers know that. Again, not saying right or wrong, but what happens. Going further into that gets political.

    Funding charter schools is nothing more than taxpayers paying for private, sort and select, schools. All under the guise of school choice.
    We agree the only real power teachers have is to Strike. Anything short of a Strike will be a slow, downhill drain on teacher benefits.

    Choice is good!

Top