What did the recent KY Teacher Pension Protest in Frankfort accomplish?

Page 2 of I think it accomplished plenty for the other side meaning it let the Teachers vent, enjoy spring break, and now get back to work, but I have no idea wh... 318 comments | 6566 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    137,852

    Quote Originally Posted by 75center View Post
    Many protests are playing the long end game where the first step is simply to publicize the issue. They did accomplish that as there are a lot more people talking about it since the protests.
    At this point the talk is reduced to almost nothing.

    I mentioned it in another thread, the teachers will get a few crumbs and then BAM!
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    137,852

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellcats View Post
    I struggle with the draw of charters. Why not just inject more funding in the public school setting to lower class size rather than fund an entirely new school?
    Because this is an opportunity to try something new, give people a choice, and see if it is a better way of educating our children.

  3. #18
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    29,139

    Consider the source of this article, as it is from the Washington Post, but ... if the facts are accurate, not a good report on Charter Schools.

    A dozen problems with charter schools - The Washington Post

    I have a hard time seeing the value of charter schools. It seems to me that charter schools are just private schools funded with public money. How does that help education overall? The challenge is getting the kids with tough family situations and a lack of support to care and perform in school. Charter schools don't fix that.

  4. #19
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    64,842

    It accomplished very little.

  5. #20
    Randy Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Location
    In the snow, laying there like a slug
    Posts
    64,842

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellcats View Post
    I struggle with the draw of charters. Why not just inject more funding in the public school setting to lower class size rather than fund an entirely new school?
    More funding usually gets fed to non-teaching positions. I'm not saying those are unnecessary, but there are too many and they gobble up funds.

  6. #21
    Hellcats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 14
    Posts
    5,634

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Parker View Post
    More funding usually gets fed to non-teaching positions. I'm not saying those are unnecessary, but there are too many and they gobble up funds.
    It happens. It doesn't have to. Schools follow tons of rules on allocation of money. This could be no different if the funding were earmarked for teachers and the reduction of class size. Trust me there are plenty of eyes to help enforce.

  7. #22
    swamprat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    Westchase, FL
    Posts
    28,931

    Sorry, I am confused. This isn't over is it? Didn't the governor veto the budget plan, yesterday?

  8. #23

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    25,232

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    At this point the talk is reduced to almost nothing.

    I mentioned it in another thread, the teachers will get a few crumbs and then BAM!
    I'm still hearing and reading a lot of talk.

  9. #24
    Bengal Maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 10
    Location
    Wherever I want to be
    Posts
    8,767

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    Because this is an opportunity to try something new, give people a choice, and see if it is a better way of educating our children.
    No it isn't. if it were, then I'd support. The minute they let the behavior disordered kid from Covington into the suburban schools or the pregnant teen into their schools then we have true choice. Then it will have my support. But we know that ain't happening.

  10. #25
    Bengal Maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 10
    Location
    Wherever I want to be
    Posts
    8,767

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    Because this is an opportunity to try something new, give people a choice, and see if it is a better way of educating our children.

    It's not new nationally. It by and large has been a failure even when they sort a select kids.

  11. #26
    TAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    It's not where I live, It's what I live for
    Posts
    15,776

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    Because this is an opportunity to try something new, give people a choice, and see if it is a better way of educating our children.
    There are already plenty of private school options. Though they can be expensive, many have financial aid.

  12. #27
    Hellcats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 14
    Posts
    5,634

    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Sorry, I am confused. This isn't over is it? Didn't the governor veto the budget plan, yesterday?
    Correct. We could see basically the same thing or worse as far as rallys and/or strikes are concerned. We are talking about two different support bills that affect schools and teachers: budget and pension reform.
    He did not veto pension reform yet.
    But the budget that increased SEEK funding and restored transportation funding was just vetoed.

  13. #28
    swamprat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    Westchase, FL
    Posts
    28,931

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellcats View Post
    Correct. We could see basically the same thing or worse as far as rallys and/or strikes are concerned. We are talking about two different support bills that affect schools and teachers: budget and pension reform.
    He did not veto pension reform yet.
    But the budget that increased SEEK funding and restored transportation funding was just vetoed.
    I follow WLEX on twitter and found their report a bit misleading by mentioning the teacher walkout (their words not mine) in the same breath as the veto.

    Thanks for clarifying it for me.

  14. #29
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    20,787

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Parker View Post
    It accomplished very little.
    What could it accomplish? Not being smart, and I participated in the rally and was encouraged by the number of participants and the renewed interest in local/state issues, but even while there I wasn't sure what the end game was. Bottom line, I think everybody in the building (governor, legislators, teachers) all want something different and none have really shown much interest in working together to fix the issue in either the short- or long-term.

  15. #30
    Hellcats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 14
    Posts
    5,634

    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    I follow WLEX on twitter and found their report a bit misleading by mentioning the teacher walkout (their words not mine) in the same breath as the veto.

    Thanks for clarifying it for me.
    The biggest accomplishment of teacher rallies may be the attention that our public education system is getting.

Top