What are the real (and unavoidable) private school advantages?

Page 7 of Originally Posted by HDE Yes they do. I was talking about both. Sure we all have an advantage. We have more community support. Thats not an advantage w... 210 comments | 9019 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #91
    oldschoolwrestler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 03
    Location
    Nky just where I want to be
    Posts
    960

    Quote Originally Posted by HDE
    A lot is made of the supposed academic advantages at private schools, but I wonder what would happen at Trinity, for example, if a fleet of buses dropped off a couple hundred of the worst students from Shawnee, for example.
    They would politely be asked to return to their buses, because they do not meet the requirement for enrollment. And asked to return to the public school where they belong.
    Advertisement

  2. #92
    oldschoolwrestler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 03
    Location
    Nky just where I want to be
    Posts
    960

    Quote Originally Posted by BGGreen
    My point however, is the majority of the 46 private schools the KHSAA is seeking to ban, especially the smaller Catholic schools, are not sitting around having meetings on how to spend their excess millions; but rather are arguably doing significantly more with far less resource-wise that their public counterparts!!
    I'm not sure if I agree BGG. Private schools have many other programs that they need to spend money on. Special Ed. teachers, police officers in their halls, security personnel, teachers aids (they can't get volunteers), alternative schools, court liaisons ect. ect.

  3. #93
    DELTA Rotary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 04
    Location
    Highview
    Posts
    542

    Quote Originally Posted by akw4572
    The Boone County schools average over 1,000 students each year (3 per day). So at that rate, all we need to do is raise over $36,000,000 each year if $18,000,000 is what you needed to do 400.

    I guess the schools community needs to get out and work on raising money for there programs. Id guess its much easier to get a handout from Uncle Sam and cry about how much money the private schools raise, than to actually get out and work to raise money for things you want. Id like to see some examples where a bunch of these communities actually put forth REAL effort on raising money for programs.

  4. #94
    DELTA Rotary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 04
    Location
    Highview
    Posts
    542

    Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolwrestler
    They would politely be asked to return to their buses, because they do not meet the requirement for enrollment. And asked to return to the public school where they belong.

    Kinda like the same thing that would happen if they showed up at Manual or Male?

  5. #95
    DELTA Rotary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 04
    Location
    Highview
    Posts
    542

    Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolwrestler
    All I want is for the private schools to realize they do have an advantage. This in no way takes away from what they accomplish, their kids worked hard and earned it. When some public schools work as hard as private all they accomplish is being able to field a team, because they are trying to overcome so much.

    Thats like asking a program to admit they have an advantage because they practiced more during the year than the others. Its an earned advantage and its something that other schools COULD have done but their communities have DECIDED they dont want to go thru the hassle since they can sit back and get tax money and make due with what they have. You guys act like X and T just setup shop over night with some HUGE loan from the bank.

  6. #96

    Join Date
    Jul 01
    Location
    Harlan, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    4,554

    Quote Originally Posted by DELTA Rotary
    I guess the schools community needs to get out and work on raising money for there programs. Id guess its much easier to get a handout from Uncle Sam and cry about how much money the private schools raise, than to actually get out and work to raise money for things you want. Id like to see some examples where a bunch of these communities actually put forth REAL effort on raising money for programs.

    You are living in a different world.

    You don't get out and raise money for "programs" when you barely have enough money for "food."

  7. #97

    Join Date
    Jul 01
    Location
    Harlan, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    4,554

    Quote Originally Posted by DELTA Rotary
    Kinda like the same thing that would happen if they showed up at Manual or Male?

    Very true.

    But you don't have any real (and unavoidable) advantages over Shawnee and schools/communities like that?

  8. #98
    DELTA Rotary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 04
    Location
    Highview
    Posts
    542

    Quote Originally Posted by HDE
    Very true.

    But you don't have any real (and unavoidable) advantages over Shawnee and schools/communities like that?

    Haha I guess Ballard, Eastern, and other public schools in weathly areas of the city dont?

  9. #99
    DELTA Rotary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 04
    Location
    Highview
    Posts
    542

    Quote Originally Posted by HDE
    You are living in a different world.

    You don't get out and raise money for "programs" when you barely have enough money for "food."

    You can do EXACTLY that. I came from a lower-middle class family. A large portion of my childhood we were below the poverty level. There are plenty of things the community could do to raise money for their football program but they choose not to.

  10. #100

    Join Date
    Jul 01
    Location
    Harlan, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    4,554

    Yes they do. I was talking about both.

  11. #101
    DELTA Rotary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 04
    Location
    Highview
    Posts
    542

    Quote Originally Posted by HDE
    Yes they do. I was talking about both.
    Sure we all have an advantage. We have more community support. Thats not an advantage we can control. If you dont like whats around you change it.

  12. #102

    Join Date
    Jul 01
    Location
    Harlan, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    4,554

    If you were lower-middle class, you weren't below the poverty level.

  13. #103

    Join Date
    Jul 01
    Location
    Harlan, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    4,554

    Quote Originally Posted by DELTA Rotary
    Sure we all have an advantage. We have more community support. Thats not an advantage we can control. If you dont like whats around you change it.

    That advantage is spelled MONEY.

  14. #104

    Join Date
    Jul 01
    Location
    Harlan, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    4,554

    Quote Originally Posted by DELTA Rotary
    Sure we all have an advantage. We have more community support. Thats not an advantage we can control. If you dont like whats around you change it.

    Why don't you show some of the folks at the poorest schools in Jefferson how it's done.

    Pick out about 200 of the students from the wealthiest families at your school and transfer over there. It would be a learning experience for both sides.

  15. #105
    DELTA Rotary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 04
    Location
    Highview
    Posts
    542

    Quote Originally Posted by HDE
    If you were lower-middle class, you weren't below the poverty level.

    We were lower-middle class from middle-high school. We lived in a one bedroom apt. up until I was 9-10. My mom was a public school secretary and my dad was between jobs for several years. Trust me fried bologna was a regular dish at dinner.

Top