What are the real (and unavoidable) private school advantages?

Page 13 of Originally Posted by HDE Yes they do. I was talking about both. Sure we all have an advantage. We have more community support. Thats not an advantage w... 210 comments | 9046 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #181
    Frances Bavier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    Mount Pilot
    Posts
    6,854

    Fastbreak and stickymitts,

    I just sent a PM to oldschoolwrestler, in which I told him that the reason I read most of these types of threads is because they reveal which members can take a position, then defend it with rational thought (and coherent statements).

    On the other hand, it also reveals those that can't...

    Frances
    Advertisement

  2. #182
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Quote Originally Posted by Frances Bavier
    Fastbreak and stickymitts,

    I just sent a PM to oldschoolwrestler, in which I told him that the reason I read most of these types of threads is because they reveal which members can take a position, then defend it with rational thought (and coherent statements).

    On the other hand, it also reveals those that can't...

    Frances
    Where do I come in on your scale of rational thinking?

  3. #183

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by Frances Bavier
    Fastbreak and stickymitts,

    I just sent a PM to oldschoolwrestler, in which I told him that the reason I read most of these types of threads is because they reveal which members can take a position, then defend it with rational thought (and coherent statements).

    On the other hand, it also reveals those that can't...

    Frances

    Since I didn't receive a PM, I must be one of the irrational, incoherent of which you speak.















  4. #184

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by stickymitts
    Where do I come in on your scale of rational thinking?


    OOOOOOO Let ME! Let ME!

  5. #185
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom
    OOOOOOO Let ME! Let ME!
    I wasn't talking to you. :fire:

  6. #186

    Join Date
    Mar 03
    Location
    I like taters...
    Posts
    9,317

    Quote Originally Posted by stickymitts
    Where do I come in on your scale of rational thinking?
    I already know the answer to that one...

  7. #187

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by stickymitts
    I wasn't talking to you. :fire:

    I've said it before.....when have I ever waited for you to give me permission? :devil:

  8. #188
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Quote Originally Posted by Fastbreak
    I already know the answer to that one...
    Dang it...I'll suppress any thoughts of posting in threads of this nature in order to slow the dumbifying process.

  9. #189

    Join Date
    Mar 03
    Location
    I like taters...
    Posts
    9,317

    Quote Originally Posted by stickymitts
    Dang it...I'll suppress any thoughts of posting in threads of this nature in order of slowing the dumbying process.
    I was referring to my knowledge of where I come down on Frances' scale of rational/irrational posters, not you...

    That's why I don't need to ask.

  10. #190
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Quote Originally Posted by Fastbreak
    I was referring to my knowledge of where I come down on Frances' scale of rational/irrational posters, not you...

    That's why I don't need to ask.
    Oh, in that case. I'll patiently await the criticism.

  11. #191
    Frances Bavier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    Mount Pilot
    Posts
    6,854

    Stickymitts -
    I never really started a "scale of rational thinking" - I just read posts in controversial threads to get a better grip on who can defend their positions, and who has to resort to "cause I believe it's right" or "my values are better than your values"...

    You may have hit on a great idea, though. Maybe we could start some system wherein we rate each member on his/her ability to support their positions (regardless of their stance on a given issue) with your "scale of rational thinking". We could rate the important posts on a scale of 1 to 10, and see where we all end up. Of course, you couldn't rate your own posts, and it would be on the honor system.

    Then again, it might be a little embarassing for those of us with a rating that is lower than the number of eyelets in a pair of penny loafers.


    Rockmom -
    We share the same side of many debates, but not all of them. Then again, I'd be worried if someone agreed with my views 100% of the time. One thing you do NOT lack is the ability to present your views in a clear manner, with solid reasoning intact.

    Thanks,
    Frances

  12. #192
    The Professor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Sag Hollow
    Posts
    21,323

    Quote Originally Posted by HDE
    That's probably true about Male and Manual, but the point is hardly moot. It's a huge advantage over 98 percent of the public schools in Kentucky.

    The rest of the state can't draw the best and brightest from a county the size of Jefferson and send back the ones you don't want.
    Very true. What does Jefferson County have....1/4 of the state's population, or a million people? That is a huge advantage. Many counties in my area are one high school counties. No one is turned away. It's the law. As a matter of fact, it's almost impossible to expell some of the really bad eggs, those that make it difficult to teach a class. I'd say at most private schools a trouble maker is out the door faster than he or she can ask "why, what have I done"?
    And to have the ability, if they so desire, to take the best and brightest and weed the rest out, that's a big advantage too.

  13. #193
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Quote Originally Posted by Frances Bavier
    Stickymitts -
    I never really started a "scale of rational thinking" - I just read posts in controversial threads to get a better grip on who can defend their positions, and who has to resort to "cause I believe it's right" or "my values are better than your values"...

    You may have hit on a great idea, though. Maybe we could start some system wherein we rate each member on his/her ability to support their positions (regardless of their stance on a given issue) with your "scale of rational thinking". We could rate the important posts on a scale of 1 to 10, and see where we all end up. Of course, you couldn't rate your own posts, and it would be on the honor system.

    Then again, it might be a little embarassing for those of us with a rating that is lower than the number of eyelets in a pair of penny loafers.


    Rockmom -
    We share the same side of many debates, but not all of them. Then again, I'd be worried if someone agreed with my views 100% of the time. One thing you do NOT lack is the ability to present your views in a clear manner, with solid reasoning intact.

    Thanks,
    Frances
    I'll take that as low. BTW, the "scale of rational thinking" idea is opening a can of worms that I don't think any of us want to see.

  14. #194

    Join Date
    Mar 03
    Location
    I like taters...
    Posts
    9,317

    Quote Originally Posted by Frances Bavier
    You may have hit on a great idea, though. Maybe we could start some system wherein we rate each member on his/her ability to support their positions (regardless of their stance on a given issue) with your "scale of rational thinking". We could rate the important posts on a scale of 1 to 10, and see where we all end up. Of course, you couldn't rate your own posts, and it would be on the honor system.
    Would that be a public or a private forum?











  15. #195
    Frances Bavier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 04
    Location
    Mount Pilot
    Posts
    6,854

    Quote Originally Posted by Fastbreak
    Would that be a public or a private forum?
    Well, we'd obviously have to have several threads to discuss it (taking every opportunity to berate and belittle anyone that disagrees with us).

    Maybe someone with a degree in jurisprudence can give us some direction ...

    Frances

Top