The truth over the Private Debate.

Page 5 of Originally Posted by TonyDanza Just something to think about.. There is a battle amongst T/X here with the catholic school kids. What some people don't... 89 comments | 4438 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #61
    DELTA Rotary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 04
    Location
    Highview
    Posts
    542

    Quote Originally Posted by HDE
    You say it's a fact of lift, so that sounds like an unavoidable advantage.

    Sorry to get off the subject, but didn't they go over apostrophes and commas at St. X or wherever you attended?

    Yes its a fact of life. Everybody knows that area will never change. It is not however unavoidable. Everybody knows that area will never change because they dont want to change.
    Advertisement

  2. #62

    Join Date
    Jul 01
    Location
    Harlan, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    4,554

    I, apparently, can't spell, so I guess we're even.

    You know that area better. You're right about a lot of the people not wanting to change, but that's often out of the control of the children involved.

    I guess we'll have to disagree about the definition of unavoidable.

  3. #63
    Thunderstruck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Location
    Southeastern Kentucky
    Posts
    490

    I find it curios that the "private supportors" see nothing wrong with the system the way it stands now. It appears to me that behavior is sociopathic.

    Is it wrong that Trinty has a 4A enrollment and competes in 4A while having on average twice the number of boys as a small rural 4A school simply by virtue of being an all boy school. Is that a level playing field? I say not!

    Just like 1A schools have smaller talant pool to draw from than larger class schools, the rural 4A school has a smaller talant pool to draw from than that of Trinty or St. X. Is that fair? No, not really, when you look at the number boys in most 4A schools, that number is half the total enrollment. At Trinty the enrollment is all boys. That is not a level playing field. Obviously school like Lex Cath who is not a boys only school fights the same battle as the "pubic" schools, so they have an arguement too.

    Listen, I don't know the answer, I am way too dumb for that but there has to be something done to "level the playing field"

  4. #64
    DELTA Rotary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 04
    Location
    Highview
    Posts
    542

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
    I find it curios that the "private supportors" see nothing wrong with the system the way it stands now. It appears to me that behavior is sociopathic.

    Is it wrong that Trinty has a 4A enrollment and competes in 4A while having on average twice the number of boys as a small rural 4A school simply by virtue of being an all boy school. Is that a level playing field? I say not!

    Just like 1A schools have smaller talant pool to draw from than larger class schools, the rural 4A school has a smaller talant pool to draw from than that of Trinty or St. X. Is that fair? No, not really, when you look at the number boys in most 4A schools, that number is half the total enrollment. At Trinty the enrollment is all boys. That is not a level playing field. Obviously school like Lex Cath who is not a boys only school fights the same battle as the "pubic" schools, so they have an arguement too.

    Listen, I don't know the answer, I am way too dumb for that but there has to be something done to "level the playing field"

    I agree numbers is a REAL advantage that X and T have over many 4A schools. At the same time how do you explain the largest high school in KY (Henderson) never comming close and only playing with 35-40 players? Also how does the "numbers" advantage not equate to X and T dominating basketball?

  5. #65
    Thunderstruck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Location
    Southeastern Kentucky
    Posts
    490

    Quote Originally Posted by DELTA Rotary
    I agree numbers is a REAL advantage that X and T have over many 4A schools. At the same time how do you explain the largest high school in KY (Henderson) never comming close and only playing with 35-40 players? Also how does the "numbers" advantage not equate to X and T dominating basketball?

    I am glad you asked that question and there in lies the real problem.....

    1. Obviously success breed success. When teams win kids want to go there. Now there is nothing the schools like Trinty and St.X can do about that but when there are no boundries to where they can get players (notice I did not use the "R" word or the word students) it presents problems when you a get a kids from central, northern (not so much because they have their own success) and southeastern Ky wanting to leave and go there.

    2. I had two nephews who attended St. Margret Mary in Louisville. Both were talanted in a particuliar sport. Both were high courted (notice I did not use the "R" word again) by both St X and Trinty. Both attended Trinty, it was pretty clear what was going on. BTW both went on to play their sports at the D-1 level and one even won an NCAA championship ring. The other kids on the team were really not addressed although many did attend Trinty simply because of being Catholic, which of course is beyond the control of anyone too.

    Once again I don't know the answer but there is no doubt a serious problem that needs to be addressed.

  6. #66
    DELTA Rotary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 04
    Location
    Highview
    Posts
    542

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
    but when there are no boundries to where they can get players (notice I did not use the "R" word or the word students) it presents problems when you a get a kids from central, northern (not so much because they have their own success) and southeastern Ky wanting to leave and go there.

    My response to no boundaries is that schools cant handcuff and limit themselves to where they draw students from then get upset when other schools do not. Manual, Male, Highlands and many other public schools draw students from several counties and states. How is that any different that X or T doing it?

  7. #67
    BGGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    3,572

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
    I find it curios that the "private supportors" see nothing wrong with the system the way it stands now. It appears to me that behavior is sociopathic.

    Is it wrong that Trinty has a 4A enrollment and competes in 4A while having on average twice the number of boys as a small rural 4A school simply by virtue of being an all boy school. Is that a level playing field? I say not!

    Just like 1A schools have smaller talant pool to draw from than larger class schools, the rural 4A school has a smaller talant pool to draw from than that of Trinty or St. X. Is that fair? No, not really, when you look at the number boys in most 4A schools, that number is half the total enrollment. At Trinty the enrollment is all boys. That is not a level playing field. Obviously school like Lex Cath who is not a boys only school fights the same battle as the "pubic" schools, so they have an arguement too.

    Listen, I don't know the answer, I am way too dumb for that but there has to be something done to "level the playing field"
    As one of the "private supporters" you refer to, I've got no problem with your argument about the numbers advantage X & Trinity have; and in fact have explained on multiple threads that is the problem no one knows quite how to deal with? Simply not enough very large schools in the state.

    However, explain to me how you in fairness want to ban ALL PRIVATES, due to the fact those two have grown bigger than the rest of the field. (PS: They must be doing something right, as appx. 1500 families are willing to pay $7000+/year to send their kids there) Please explain????

  8. #68
    Thunderstruck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Location
    Southeastern Kentucky
    Posts
    490

    Quote Originally Posted by BGGreen
    As one of the "private supporters" you refer to, I've got no problem with your argument about the numbers advantage X & Trinity have; and in fact have explained on multiple threads that is the problem no one knows quite how to deal with? Simply not enough very large schools in the state.

    However, explain to me how you in fairness want to ban ALL PRIVATES, due to the fact those two have grown bigger than the rest of the field. (PS: They must be doing something right, as appx. 1500 families are willing to pay $7000+/year to send their kids there) Please explain????
    It is easy, if you don't want to be banned changed what you do. Privates are the minority, and living in the greatest county in the world we do things democraticly, so if you don't want to be left out then change what you do, otherwise don't gripe and complain about the changes when they are voted in.

    I am sure those schools are doing something right but some are certianly do thing wrong and thus this is where the problem lies. The KHSAA refuses to addresss the problem, so the delegates will deal with it and nobody is going to be happy with the outcome, simply because the KHSAA refuses to ruffle feathers. Now the delegates are left to do the job of fixing the problem.

    I guess it is kind of like using a chain saw to clip a hang nail but the outcome will be the same. Problem solved. Is it the best way, probably not, but it will work.

  9. #69

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
    It is easy, if you don't want to be banned changed what you do. Privates are the minority, and living in the greatest county in the world we do things democraticly, so if you don't want to be left out then change what you do, otherwise don't gripe and complain about the changes when they are voted in.

    I am sure those schools are doing something right but some are certianly do thing wrong and thus this is where the problem lies. The KHSAA refuses to addresss the problem, so the delegates will deal with it and nobody is going to be happy with the outcome, simply because the KHSAA refuses to ruffle feathers. Now the delegates are left to do the job of fixing the problem.

    I guess it is kind of like using a chain saw to clip a hang nail but the outcome will be the same. Problem solved. Is it the best way, probably not, but it will work.
    So, the private schools must conform to principles we don't hold, because we, as institutions, are fewer in number than public schools? We do live in America, where religious freedom is protected, and the right to educate our chlidren in a faith-based school is protected. The fact that we are fewer in number does not mean that our children aren't due the same rights as public school children. You say some of the PRIVATE schools are doing something wrong, yet no admission of any of the public schools issues? How convenient.

  10. #70

    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Louisville, Ky USA
    Posts
    4,546

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
    It is easy, if you don't want to be banned changed what you do. Privates are the minority, and living in the greatest county in the world we do things democraticly, so if you don't want to be left out then change what you do, otherwise don't gripe and complain about the changes when they are voted in.

    I am sure those schools are doing something right but some are certianly do thing wrong and thus this is where the problem lies. The KHSAA refuses to addresss the problem, so the delegates will deal with it and nobody is going to be happy with the outcome, simply because the KHSAA refuses to ruffle feathers. Now the delegates are left to do the job of fixing the problem.

    I guess it is kind of like using a chain saw to clip a hang nail but the outcome will be the same. Problem solved. Is it the best way, probably not, but it will work.
    What are they doing wrong? Spell it out. Don't hold back. Cite examples. Educate us.

  11. #71
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
    It is easy, if you don't want to be banned changed what you do. Privates are the minority, and living in the greatest county in the world we do things democraticly, so if you don't want to be left out then change what you do, otherwise don't gripe and complain about the changes when they are voted in.

    I am sure those schools are doing something right but some are certianly do thing wrong and thus this is where the problem lies. The KHSAA refuses to addresss the problem, so the delegates will deal with it and nobody is going to be happy with the outcome, simply because the KHSAA refuses to ruffle feathers. Now the delegates are left to do the job of fixing the problem.

    I guess it is kind of like using a chain saw to clip a hang nail but the outcome will be the same. Problem solved. Is it the best way, probably not, but it will work.
    How do you propose small schools change. If you have read on here Private Catholic schools must as apart of their mission give financial aid to those who need it. The schools them self can't change the mission of the church. What have any "small" private schools done to be banned?

  12. #72
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity alum
    What are they doing wrong? Spell it out. Don't hold back. Cite examples. Educate us.

    I agree I would like to know what the Catholic schools are doing wrong.

    I would like to cite once more which no one will respond to. Name the last private school to get in trouble for illegal players? Only recall public instituions doing that in the last few years. i.e Highlands

  13. #73

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    14,545

    Quote Originally Posted by BigStud
    I agree I would like to know what the Catholic schools are doing wrong.

    I would like to cite once more which no one will respond to. Name the last private school to get in trouble for illegal players? Only recall public instituions doing that in the last few years. i.e Highlands
    Holy Cross had some issues a few years ago. They were fined by the KHSAA and the coach was fired by the school.

    (Please remember, I back the private schools so I post this before all of us are accused of having selective memory. )

  14. #74

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    louisville
    Posts
    407

    KHSAA went after the little dog in Holy Cross. If they would have busted one of the bigger schools then that would have set an example. I'm still seeing stuff go on after that. It had no effect. It scared no one.

  15. #75
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by thomam
    KHSAA went after the little dog in Holy Cross. If they would have busted one of the bigger schools then that would have set an example. I'm still seeing stuff go on after that. It had no effect. It scared no one.
    I'm not familiar with Louisville Holy Cross, but I know Covington Holy Cross and the rest of the privates in NKY have a clean slate.

Top