The problem really is just Trinity & Saint X., right?

Page 4 of Originally Posted by 98NCCalum I'm confused by your first paragraph. Secondly, it doesn't matter where you can draw from it's the size of your school. ... 96 comments | 2947 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #46
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    You have classifications in 3 sports, that is not most. Football, Cross country and Track.

    Don't know why you would assume that it would wipe them out. Competing against private schools has not wiped out single A sized public schools except from athletic success. They are still in operation.
    I think he is saying seperating private and public would wipe out Single A privates.
    Advertisement

  2. #47

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by BigStud
    I think he is saying seperating private and public would wipe out Single A privates.
    Why?

  3. #48
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    Do you feel that the football titles of Highlands, Beechwood, Danville, Boyle County are diminished because they did not beat St. X for the title?
    This is apples and oranges, your trying to compare two totattly different ways of seperation. Seperation by numbers is a fair way to seperate some sports. To seperate by the type of school you are is almost discrimination.

  4. #49
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    Why?
    There are only a handful of Class A private schools in the state. Only two offer football in NKY. Why would any of the others begin football with the new classifications.

  5. #50
    98NCCalum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    It's been fun BGP! Be good....
    Posts
    19,155

    BS hit it.

  6. #51

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by BigStud
    This is apples and oranges, your trying to compare two totattly different ways of seperation. Seperation by numbers is a fair way to seperate some sports. To seperate by the type of school you are is almost discrimination.
    Disagree.

  7. #52

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by BigStud
    There are only a handful of Class A private schools in the state. Only two offer football in NKY. Why would any of the others begin football with the new classifications.
    They can play in Class AA. If it is fair for public schools to compete against schools that have advantages over them, than it is fair for private schools to compete against each other.

    While you may worry about football, there are a lot of other sports to compete in and kids to serve.

  8. #53
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    They can play in Class AA. If it is fair for public schools to compete against schools that have advantages over them, than it is fair for private schools to compete against each other.

    While you may worry about football, there are a lot of other sports to compete in and kids to serve.
    LBBC,

    You do not see the big picture. There just are not enough schools for private schools to have a full schedule in KY.

    Comparing Covinton Holy Cross playing football against a Trinity on a yearly basis in football as the same disadvantage a Bellvue might have is absurd.

    The reason private schools dominate the "Second tier" sports is because private schools push on their students on athletic involment. When I went to HC it was a mission to have every student play atleast one sport. That is why a small school such as Covington Holy Cross offered about every sanctioned sport the KHSAA offered and then some. Like I stated earlier particpation at HC is over 80% in athletics, when you motivate your students to particpate in sports your are going to field quality second tier sports.

    There is no reason a school like Holmes doesn't get more people out for Cross Country or Track and field for that matter, the athletes at Holmes are their to be very successful in both sports. Same can be said for many bigger public programs.

    I don't want to here because of the success factor. Schools such as NCC and HC in NKY have basically been dominated by Brossart and St. Henry in the running sports but yet both programs still field sizable and competive programs.

    If the admistratin at public schools want to fair better in "second tier" sports then they should push partcipation in those sports to the whole student body and quit having tunnel vision on just the big 3 sports and their athletes.

    The issue here isn't the big 3 sports (baseball,basketball,football). Public schools dominate those sports on most levels. The issue here is "second tier" sports. The basic reasoning for private school domination is becuase of the missions of the athletic departments differ. Private schools promote each sports equally and promote all student partcipation.

    The same can't be said for alot of public schools and this in itself can be blamed for failure of championships.

  9. #54
    oldschoolwrestler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 03
    Location
    Nky just where I want to be
    Posts
    960

    BS:

    I'm not going to go into great detail (I have on other posts).

    The gist of it is.

    1. Private schools can require students participate in extra curricular activities

    2. Private school parents back their sports programs more than public for many reasons

    3. Public school kids are forced to be there and even though they may be athletes do not participate.

  10. #55
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolwrestler
    BS:

    I'm not going to go into great detail (I have on other posts).

    The gist of it is.

    1. Private schools can require students participate in extra curricular activities

    2. Private school parents back their sports programs more than public for many reasons

    3. Public school kids are forced to be there and even though they may be athletes do not participate.
    No private schools require partcipation. They just promote the idea. From the grade school level up, athletics is used as apart of the educational process. If public schools took this approach I gurantee you would see a drastic change.

    It doesn't affect grades as private schools on average produce some of the best students in the state.

  11. #56

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by BigStud
    LBBC,

    You do not see the big picture. There just are not enough schools for private schools to have a full schedule in KY.

    Comparing Covinton Holy Cross playing football against a Trinity on a yearly basis in football as the same disadvantage a Bellvue might have is absurd.

    The reason private schools dominate the "Second tier" sports is because private schools push on their students on athletic involment. When I went to HC it was a mission to have every student play atleast one sport. That is why a small school such as Covington Holy Cross offered about every sanctioned sport the KHSAA offered and then some. Like I stated earlier particpation at HC is over 80% in athletics, when you motivate your students to particpate in sports your are going to field quality second tier sports.

    There is no reason a school like Holmes doesn't get more people out for Cross Country or Track and field for that matter, the athletes at Holmes are their to be very successful in both sports. Same can be said for many bigger public programs.

    I don't want to here because of the success factor. Schools such as NCC and HC in NKY have basically been dominated by Brossart and St. Henry in the running sports but yet both programs still field sizable and competive programs.

    If the admistratin at public schools want to fair better in "second tier" sports then they should push partcipation in those sports to the whole student body and quit having tunnel vision on just the big 3 sports and their athletes.

    The issue here isn't the big 3 sports (baseball,basketball,football). Public schools dominate those sports on most levels. The issue here is "second tier" sports. The basic reasoning for private school domination is becuase of the missions of the athletic departments differ. Private schools promote each sports equally and promote all student partcipation.

    The same can't be said for alot of public schools and this in itself can be blamed for failure of championships.
    It is not here that the difference between public and private. It is the support of the vast majority of parents. There are great public school parents with wonderful support, but if you ask them they will tell you they feel they have to do it all by themselves. Have a boosters meeting and you may get 3-4 families to show up. Private school parental support from what I am hearing is tremendous.

    When you are told that a player cannot come to practice because they have to babysit their little brothers and sisters......Or that they cannot play sports because they have to have a job to be able to afford things like clothes.........Or their parents tell them that education is not important and they don't care whether they go to school or not, is falls on so many parents that are not following through with their responsibilities.

    I see the whole picture beyond just athletics. And the things that public schools HAVE to deal with, I don't think happen at a private school in the EQUAL quantity that it does at the public schools.

  12. #57
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolwrestler
    BS:


    3. Public school kids are forced to be there and even though they may be athletes do not participate.
    A good leader is able to motivate and get across a postive message. Some kids just won't participate, but their are many who aren't partcipating who probably would or could with the right approach. But most public schools have not made this a priority period. Instead of doing so, they want to blame Catholic schools for taking such an approach.

  13. #58
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    It is not here that the difference between public and private. It is the support of the vast majority of parents. There are great public school parents with wonderful support, but if you ask them they will tell you they feel they have to do it all by themselves. Have a boosters meeting and you may get 3-4 families to show up. Private school parental support from what I am hearing is tremendous.

    When you are told that a player cannot come to practice because they have to babysit their little brothers and sisters......Or that they cannot play sports because they have to have a job to be able to afford things like clothes.........Or their parents tell them that education is not important and they don't care whether they go to school or not, is falls on so many parents that are not following through with their responsibilities.

    I see the whole picture beyond just athletics. And the things that public schools HAVE to deal with, I don't think happen at a private school in the EQUAL quantity that it does at the public schools.
    You do understand poor people attend private schools also? I played basketball and ran cross country in High school while keeping a job at Krogers as a cashier throughout highschool. Its all about priorties.

    Again why should private schools be punished because their parental involvement is good. Its all apart of a system put in place. Like at a catholic grade school I attended. There were motivational factors to get parents invovled. If you help work at so many bingos or attended so many athletic booster events you could get tution deduction if your familly needed it.

    There are motivational factors or approaches than could be taken to fix some of the problems I hear you complaining about.

  14. #59

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by BigStud
    You do understand poor people attend private schools also? I played basketball and ran cross country in High school while keeping a job at Krogers as a cashier throughout highschool. Its all about priorties.

    Again why should private schools be punished because their parental involvement is good. Its all apart of a system put in place. Like at a catholic grade school I attended. There were motivational factors to get parents invovled. If you help work at so many bingos or attended so many athletic booster events you could get tution deduction if your familly needed it.

    There are motivational factors or approaches than could be taken to fix some of the problems I hear you complaining about.
    Yes I do and I addressed that. Where I think the difference is that the quantity or numbers of those living in poverty and attending a private school do not match those living in poverty and attending some public schools (Highlands would obviously not be one). Are there any private schools that would have 80-90% of the students attending qualify for free/reduced lunch? I really don't believe so.

    Yes, there are motivational factors that will work for some but you know what, I have a family to raise also and I cannot be giving 10-15 hours a week beyond my coaching and teaching responsibilities to do this. I have children to raise and be concerned about. I have a wife to nurture and support. I have my responsibilities and cannot always be giving and giving and giving to everyone but my family.

    And that is where you see a lot of public school coaches getting burned out. From the things you have to do off the court that eats at the time away from our families. ANd why some good public school coaches quit.

  15. #60
    BigStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 05
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    4,473

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    . Are there any private schools that would have 80-90% of the students attending qualify for free/reduced lunch? I really don't believe so.

    .
    Maybe you should look at the small private grade schools in Covington. There are a large number of students on reduced lunches and financial aid at Prince of Peace, Holy Family, and St.Augustine. All these kids live inside of Covington and in the same neighborhoods the Holmes kids grew up in and then they attend Covington Holy Cross.

    Students at Ryle,Dixie Heights, and Scott are anything but poverty strung students.

Top