The Private advantage - A new perspective

Page 3 of Originally Posted by oldschoolwrestler This is usually related to a coach or coaching staff. When that coach leaves the program then it usually decline... 37 comments | 1957 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by All Tell
    Do you honestly think that everything done at Trinity and X for example is not completely scrutinized?

    Do you really not believe that there are people laying in wait for that one time either of these schools "slips"?

    Please enlighten me, what KHSAA guidelines do private schools not have to follow?
    Told ya it would not be taken well. :argue:
    Advertisement

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    14,545

    What did I say that is not true?

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by All Tell
    What did I say that is not true?

    Everything you've said is true. No one wants to believe it, though.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by All Tell
    What did I say that is not true?
    Not a thing. I think you are right in what you posted.

    If you read the posts, when the comment was made, I said it would not go over well. And simply was pointing out that I was right. I like to point out when I am right because being the father of two approaching teenage years and a husband, I am not right very often.

    I knew that the comment that Highlands is the only one who has to worry about recruiting charges and private schools did not would go over like a lead balloon.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Feb 01
    Posts
    2,891

    Quote Originally Posted by runningref
    How in the world does Proposal 20 level the playing field. Henderson, with 1000 boys will still be in a football class with Southern, with less than 500. Male, Manual, Central and Butler continue to draw from the entirety of Jefferson County while the other schools are saddled with "resides" districts and a cumbersome paperwork process for any kid wanting to come from anywhere else. And how does Proposal 20 help Pineville compete with Bell County? How does it help Caverna compete with Hart County? Or Silver Grove with Boone County.

    It is not about leveling the playing field and never has been. It's about penalizing the private schools for what they have done lately, which is emphasize facility development, coach development and retention (many times, on much less salaries than their public school counterparts and certainly not the lucrative retirement system), and in an outstanding manner, emphasizes the involvement of the entire school "community" around the school.

    It is not about leveling the playing field, furthermore, it is about "dumbing down" the criteria for a state title. Kentucky remains the one state where at the end of the day, the state champion is not one of many (with the lone exceptions of Track/Cross Country and Football), but rather, the singular state champion. The nerve of those folks who came before us, to actually think that being the best didn't mean being the best of a smaller group, but rather, the best of the entire state.

    It is not about Title IX either. If your moniker is accurate, then you know first hand that at a time in the 1970s and 1980s when the primarily male administrations at public schools did everything they could to fight the onset and development of girls sports through Title IX, their private school counterparts were embracing and developing these new opportunities. And finally in the last ten to fifteen years, those seeds planted years ago have matured. Now, certain members of the group who chose to sow the seed of discord and negativity towards girls' sports, seem somehow surprised that those who emphasized the sports are now successful.

    Yes, the article yesterday was terribly accurate. Did it say the same views that were espoused in the spring by a statistically flawed and unbelievably skewed presentation that went throughout the state? No, this time, the author sought accurary. But it would have been made even more accurate by the inclusion of the entire 30 years of Title IX history. The truth is that a minimal number of the public schools are now reaping the rewards of program neglect and in many cases, sitting around with a "woe is me" attitude while some counterparts sought positive change. The cold hard truth is in stats available when I called the volleyball contact at the KHSAA. More than 120 schools have added volleyball since the State of Education directed KHSAA to rigidly police Title IX. So for those groups, after having been drug kicking and screaming into compliance, they now scream bloody murder at the success of longer established program.

    And let it not be said that this is totally a girls' sports argument. The football classes remain imbalanced. But the most skewed area is certainly not 4A, but a system that allows for a school with 120 kids to be in the same class with one that has almost 500. But since no private school wins that class, no one seems to mention it.

    Thankfully, Mr. Story chose to accurately portray the facts. Thankfully, the school delegates for the KHSAA meeting have a chance to bring logic and rational thinking to at least levelize the area that students can be drawn from, with Proposal 1, which represents an attractive alternative to Proposal 20. And yet, even some public schools don't like Proposal 1, as they feel like they would lose the same fertile ground they accuse their private counterparts of cultivating.

    And thankfully yes, there remains another voice of reason beyond the vote of the schools. The fact that the proposals require some type of regulatory approval (I heard they go through the Legislative Research Commission before going into effect). In that way, at least a potential knee-jerk reaction which would manifest itself as an athletic train wreck could be averted.

    Interesting how no one has taken on this post; I think the publics have run out of excuses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    Interesting how no one has taken on this post; I think the publics have run out of excuses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Actually all those arguments have already been made and answered several times on here in different forums. As RM said at the very beginning of this, I am sick and tired of this.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Feb 01
    Posts
    2,891

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    Actually all those arguments have already been made and answered several times on here in different forums. As RM said at the very beginning of this, I am sick and tired of this.

    I disagree:

    Title IX and what girls' schools in Louisville have been doing for a long time while publics fought it?

    Private schools emphasizing development of their facilities and coaches?

    Dumbing down of the system rather than a real improvement?

    1A enrollment isn't focused on because public schools are winning?

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    I disagree:

    Title IX and what girls' schools in Louisville have been doing for a long time while publics fought it?

    Private schools emphasizing development of their facilities and coaches?

    Dumbing down of the system rather than a real improvement?

    1A enrollment isn't focused on because public schools are winning?
    Title IX was addressed about the 2nd day on here. Pointed out that private schools have to follow Title IX and advantage of all-boys or girls schools addressed.

    Private school coaches were on about the 3rd day.

    Dumbing down has been a consistent emphasis.

    Beechwood and the others have been mentioned alot.

Top