The pot calling the kettle black (the true story of Male, Manual, and Scott County)!

Page 20 of Originally Posted by gametime Bombing Iraq, and kicking the best out of the way in a kids game. Nice... JEEZ la pete. You guys are killing me it is an ... 383 comments | 13488 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #286
    ram2003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 03
    Location
    Fisherville/Louisville "When was the last time you saw a hippy that could take on an offensive tackle?"- Hank Hill
    Posts
    7,885

    Rockmom and bro, I have 4 letters to solve all of your differences...

    UofL

    Aahhh, don't we ALL feel better now?
    Advertisement

  2. #287

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by ram2003
    Rockmom and bro, I have 4 letters to solve all of your differences...

    UofL

    Aahhh, don't we ALL feel better now?

    I think you are the greatst thing since sliced bread, Ram2003...well, except my kids and my puppy of course! You're the best!

  3. #288

    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Louisville, Ky USA
    Posts
    4,522

    Quote Originally Posted by ram95
    You keep using the word pick and that is not the right word. They accept the top students. To say they pick the top students implys that the students are chosen and don't have a choice and are stolen from other schools. Look at it this way, if Manual and Male didn't exist then other schools would not get the students that live in Germantown and Old Louisville and around Preston Highway good and bad students and good and bad athletes that currently go to other JCPS schools. It evens out, students and Parents pick the schools that they want to go to, if they can cut the mustard and get lucky in the lottery, then they can get to go to Male and Manual and the other JCPS programs, if not then they either have the choice to go back to a school like Moore or go to the private schools if they have the means or are informed of finacial aid possiblities and encouraged to go to a private school at little league games. Manual isn't lineing up kids in your area and forcing them to come to Manual or promising them finacial aid, they simply say if you want to come you have to apply and you might make it in.
    Male and Manual are private schools run with public money. It is that simple. Any advantage of parent involvement, good students etc that has been claimed for private schools also exists at Male and Manual. They have the added advantage of offering financial aid to every student in the form of the public's tax dollars. The fact that they are supporting these blatantly dicriminatory proposals is disgusting and brings shame on their schools, the administration of the schools, and all who would excuse their behavior.

  4. #289
    Old Corps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    311

    Quote Originally Posted by ram95
    You keep using the word pick and that is not the right word. They accept the top students. To say they pick the top students implys that the students are chosen and don't have a choice and are stolen from other schools. Look at it this way, if Manual and Male didn't exist then other schools would not get the students that live in Germantown and Old Louisville and around Preston Highway good and bad students and good and bad athletes that currently go to other JCPS schools. It evens out, students and Parents pick the schools that they want to go to, if they can cut the mustard and get lucky in the lottery, then they can get to go to Male and Manual and the other JCPS programs, if not then they either have the choice to go back to a school like Moore or go to the private schools if they have the means or are informed of finacial aid possiblities and encouraged to go to a private school at little league games. Manual isn't lineing up kids in your area and forcing them to come to Manual or promising them finacial aid, they simply say if you want to come you have to apply and you might make it in.
    Isn't this the whole crux of the proposal, parents and students of private schools are allowed to pick what school they want to go to, and private schools can't? If every student in Jefferson County can pick their own school, then why are the principals at Manual, Male, Eastern et al complaining? Sounds rather discriminatory to me.

  5. #290

    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Louisville, Ky USA
    Posts
    4,522

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Corps
    Isn't this the whole crux of the proposal, parents and students of private schools are allowed to pick what school they want to go to, and private schools can't? If every student in Jefferson County can pick their own school, then why are the principals at Manual, Male, Eastern et al complaining? Sounds rather discriminatory to me.
    You got that right.

  6. #291
    Old Corps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    311

    Quote Originally Posted by H
    This is a very good point. If JCPS didn't offer high quality optional programs, many who are currently enrolled at Male and Manual would opt for private schools. That is the reason why I believe private school vouchers (if they are ever approved), will not get much traction in Jefferson County--because there are already excellent optional programs available through the JCPS. The sad fact of the matter is that there are way too many kids whose parents don't care about their education, and are not involved. There always have been and there always will be. No re-distribution of high achieving students will make these neglectful parents care about their kids, nor will the presence of bright students in the same school lift these kids to a higher level of achievement.


    You better not let anyone from the ACLU hear you say that.

  7. #292

    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Louisville, Ky USA
    Posts
    4,522

    Quote Originally Posted by H
    This is a very good point. If JCPS didn't offer high quality optional programs, many who are currently enrolled at Male and Manual would opt for private schools. That is the reason why I believe private school vouchers (if they are ever approved), will not get much traction in Jefferson County--because there are already excellent optional programs available through the JCPS. The sad fact of the matter is that there are way too many kids whose parents don't care about their education, and are not involved. There always have been and there always will be. No re-distribution of high achieving students will make these neglectful parents care about their kids, nor will the presence of bright students in the same school lift these kids to a higher level of achievement.
    Well, not so fast there. Studies of scattered site low income housing have shown two things. First there is no change in the income level of the adults placed in more upscale neighborhoods. Second, the children placed in the more upscale neighborhoods (and in school with more middle class kids) do show a marked increase in performance when compared to the kids that remained in the poorer schools. If the kids are not going to learn at home that hard work in school can lead to a better life, maybe they can learn it from good examples at school.

  8. #293

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    louisville
    Posts
    407

    The rest of the state is going after Jefferson County next.

  9. #294
    ram95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    Louisville KY
    Posts
    11,659

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity alum
    Male and Manual are private schools run with public money. It is that simple. Any advantage of parent involvement, good students etc that has been claimed for private schools also exists at Male and Manual. They have the added advantage of offering financial aid to every student in the form of the public's tax dollars. The fact that they are supporting these blatantly dicriminatory proposals is disgusting and brings shame on their schools, the administration of the schools, and all who would excuse their behavior.
    They are public schools, with a good education, discipline and students that want to be there. Not a private school.

  10. #295
    ram95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    Louisville KY
    Posts
    11,659

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Corps
    Isn't this the whole crux of the proposal, parents and students of private schools are allowed to pick what school they want to go to, and private schools can't? If every student in Jefferson County can pick their own school, then why are the principals at Manual, Male, Eastern et al complaining? Sounds rather discriminatory to me.
    No it is not about the choice, you may want to twist it around that why but if you read prop 20 it is about title 9, recruiting and financial aid given to talented athletes. I am not supporting prop 20 so don't jump on me telling me that it is not the case or how non athletes get financial aid too and such, I know that and I am not in support of prop 20 and I am not supporting all the assertions with it. (except the title 9 thing is a real problem) Anyway choice is not the problem, I am a big supporter of parents rights to choose the school for there child and if they can afford to send there kids to private schools go for it. It is a big money saver for the public schools.

  11. #296
    ram95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    Louisville KY
    Posts
    11,659

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom
    Nice, Ram....real nice. You know the drill. If you know something, then report it to the KHSAA.
    Oh come off it that is not an accustion of recruiting, that is a fact and you and everyone knows it to be a fact. It is not against the rules, it is just the way it is. It's not like I am saying alumni are getting better jobs for parents of great players, or letting players live in their homes during the school year, or buying sporting equipment, or paying the full tuition or plain paying them. I am saying that coaches and alumni let good players from poor areas know of financial aid possibilities. And they do!! But I doubt they are walking around 34th and Hill knocking on the door of normal 8th grade students, why would they?

  12. #297
    ram95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    Louisville KY
    Posts
    11,659

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom
    You DON'T get it! The private schools are always looking to better themselves and improving. The fact that they do is a testament to that committment. However, we are not mad because "our supremecy is being put in jeopardy". That's insulting! We are upset because we have followed the rules, and we have succeeded, and now, our programs are being targeted for competitve elimination with the publics. The fact of the matter is that we LOVE when the public school teams are successful. I don't know if you've noticed, but we don't schedule lightly. Trinity is not blessed with the strongest district, but they make up for it by playing teams like, Elder, MBA, Cincy X, and oh yeah...you guys.

    It's funny how the pest interest of the publics is what is being pushed. The fact of the matter is that it won't wind up being the best for the publics....because overall, private or public, it is NOT what's in the best interest of the kids.
    I do get it, I get that Trinity and St.X have won the majority of the championship, I know the community is proud of them and they work real hard. But I also know that statistically there is no way that they should be dominating the entire state like this unless there is an advantage in the number of good athletes they are getting, and the sheer number of players they get to come out, based on the fact they are not limited by title 9. That is the key advantage and they can't deny it, it is a fact. I don't care about it personally, if you want to send your kid to Catholic Schools I am all for it, and if you raise your kid to love football and they want a championship ring then just send them to St.X or Trinity, because odds are in the four years they are there they have about a 50% chance of getting one or more state rings. It is like a Football magnet. And that is fine, but what prop 20 schools are saying is that they don't think that they are competitive with that type of program, they don't think that they can compete. I disagree with them, and I am against prop 20, but this Polly Anna , there must be something in the water at the private schools, our boys just work harder than the lazy public school kids junk is for the birds. The privates do a great job of building a program, but because of title 9, the other schools do not believe that they can keep up with T and X. I think that is bull because there are only 11 players on the field and sometimes Manual and Male can find 33(offense, defense, special teams and backups) guys that didn't go to St. X or Trinity that are good enough to beat them. But that said it is dishonest to think that a school like Southern is going to be able to beat Trinity, they don't have the athletes, period, not to mention all the hard work and extra money and coaches and equipment that Trinity and St. X can spend on football that they can't. Manual and Male are different in that we have a very strong alumni base and parent support that can pick up alot of the difference, and schools like Ballard, Eastern, Seneca, and Fern Creek could too from year to year.

  13. #298

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    louisville
    Posts
    407

    Manual has discipline because they don't have to take undisciplined kids. If a kid applies for Manual that doesn't know how to act they won't accept them. They can also kick a kid out at anytime when a kids discipline starts to go bad. Other public schools can't do that to a kid that lives in their resides area. No matter how bad they were in middle school they have to accept them and no matter how bad they are in high school, they can't kick them out except for very extreme situations.

  14. #299
    ram95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 01
    Location
    Louisville KY
    Posts
    11,659

    Quote Originally Posted by thomam
    The rest of the state is going after Jefferson County next.
    Which is why we should oppose prop 20.

  15. #300

    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Location
    louisville
    Posts
    407

    Doesn't matter. Thats not going to change anything. Give it a few years. They will go after us because of open enrollment which creates recruiting.

Top