State Senator weighs in

Page 4 of Thanks Bert...that is a very interesting historical storyline. The consternation over this was due mainly to the backroom approach taken which cunningl... 55 comments | 2199 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #46
    Oxnard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 01
    Posts
    6,684

    Thanks Bert...that is a very interesting historical storyline.

    The consternation over this was due mainly to the backroom approach taken which cunningly circumvented the approved review procedures. Thankfully, everything was resolved in the end to everyone's satisfaction.
    Advertisement

  2. #47
    Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Location
    In Mourning
    Posts
    644

    Quote Originally Posted by ram95
    However I disagree that the obvious solution is to "work harder". The Catholic Schools are not out working the public schools, they are out spending the public schools. I grant you that some public schools have been able to raise money and can compete in that as well, but the sad fact is that most public schools do not have the same amount of alumni support as do the privates. But it is not like the Catholic school kids are out working the public school kids.
    Thank you!!!!
    I have heard this said and seem several post by the Private school supporters.
    It is an unfair assumption to say the reason Private schools are beating public school is because they just work harder.
    Before anyone could even make a comment like this they should go out and watch the off season conditioning and the practice of all the schools in Kentucky. Then and only then can that safely say that the Private schools just work harder.
    Statements like this completely discredit all the Hard Work and dedication that is required to play High school football.
    To be honest I could care less about the public\private debate. I know what kind of hard work and dedication that my son puts in to Football. His whole life is football, 6 days a week. For someone to publicly say that a private school athlete works any harder than him is an unfair, untrue statement!!!!
    They can say they are a better athlete and in a lot of cases they will be correct but I can tell you they do NOT work harder.

  3. #48

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by Football
    Thank you!!!!
    I have heard this said and seem several post by the Private school supporters.
    It is an unfair assumption to say the reason Private schools are beating public school is because they just work harder.
    Before anyone could even make a comment like this they should go out and watch the off season conditioning and the practice of all the schools in Kentucky. Then and only then can that safely say that the Private schools just work harder.
    Statements like this completely discredit all the Hard Work and dedication that is required to play High school football.
    To be honest I could care less about the public\private debate. I know what kind of hard work and dedication that my son puts in to Football. His whole life is football, 6 days a week. For someone to publicly say that a private school athlete works any harder than him is an unfair, untrue statement!!!!
    They can say they are a better athlete and in a lot of cases they will be correct but I can tell you they do NOT work harder.

    I don't think the "work harder" argument is applied to mean players and coaches physically or mentally work harder. Rather, to mean, get the potential players in the school to come out for the team, get the students and parents out to games (not a problem in some areas, but glaringly obvious for others), and find ways to raise money for the programs. I know the title IX issues seem to be roadblocks, but with all sports programs working toward the same end (success and support of the athletic program as a whole), all support generated could only help the greater entity.

    I don't think the privates work harder, as far as the actual phyisical part is concerned. But, I do think that they do a much better job at generating a passion for their school, and that it begins in the elementary years. I also think they're better-versed in the arena of raising funds, not just for athletics, but for ANY special project that's needed.

  4. #49
    Xman85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,115

    Project X is the program that St.X is running that has been referred to in these posts as having athletics as its only goal. The money raised for Project X is being used to give our teachers raises, replenish student aid, buy classroom upgrades, create a true entrance to the campus, update buildings and lockers, and update athletic fields. The school has a video on their website that outlines all these goals.
    The video also demonstrates what Rockmom has stated about passion for their school, and the ability to raise funds.

  5. #50

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by Xman85
    Project X is the program that St.X is running that has been referred to in these posts as having athletics as its only goal. The money raised for Project X is being used to give our teachers raises, replenish student aid, buy classroom upgrades, create a true entrance to the campus, update buildings and lockers, and update athletic fields. The school has a video on their website that outlines all these goals.
    The video also demonstrates what Rockmom has stated about passion for their school, and the ability to raise funds.

    It's been the same in my experience with Assumption and Trinity as well, Xman. I don't think people realize what efforts it has taken for the upgrade of Trinity's facilities, and Assumption's new gym/classroom building and theater upgrade to come to fruition. The same with Project X. The money doesn't just get budgeted, it has to be found.

  6. #51
    Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Location
    In Mourning
    Posts
    644

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom
    It's been the same in my experience with Assumption and Trinity as well, Xman. I don't think people realize what efforts it has taken for the upgrade of Trinity's facilities, and Assumption's new gym/classroom building and theater upgrade to come to fruition. The same with Project X. The money doesn't just get budgeted, it has to be found.
    Just another difference between public and private. if public schools did raise the money it still has to go through BoE......

  7. #52

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by Football
    Just another difference between public and private. if public schools did raise the money it still has to go through BoE......

    Please explain the process to me. I genuinely have no idea how it works for public schools.

  8. #53
    Xman85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 05
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,115

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom
    It's been the same in my experience with Assumption and Trinity as well, Xman. I don't think people realize what efforts it has taken for the upgrade of Trinity's facilities, and Assumption's new gym/classroom building and theater upgrade to come to fruition. The same with Project X. The money doesn't just get budgeted, it has to be found.
    I didn't mean to suggest that only X had this passion. I have many friends that went to Trinity and share that same passion for their school. I also knew girls from the different girls schools with that passion. I think that passion explains a lot of the heated posts. ....

    Male and Manual supporters show passion as well. And I am curious as to the previous post about funding efforts being channelled elsewhere...And so I don't draw fire here....these are the schools that I am most familiar with...

  9. #54

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by Xman85
    I didn't mean to suggest that only X had this passion. I have many friends that went to Trinity and share that same passion for their school. I also knew girls from the different girls schools with that passion. I think that passion explains a lot of the heated posts. ....

    Male and Manual supporters show passion as well. And I am curious as to the previous post about funding efforts being channelled elsewhere...And so I don't draw fire here....these are the schools that I am most familiar with...

    Oh, I know...I was just weighing in on some of the capital projects that I knew of at Assumptin and Trinity.

  10. #55

    Join Date
    Aug 02
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Posts
    8,530

    Quote Originally Posted by Oxnard
    The consternation over this was due mainly to the backroom approach taken which cunningly circumvented the approved review procedures. Thankfully, everything was resolved in the end to everyone's satisfaction.
    I won't lie, I have no idea about this part. There may be a licit reason for doing so however, I have no idea what that reason is.

  11. #56
    GRIDMANIAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Posts
    367

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity alum
    If these travesties pass I think that it will be important to let all members of the legislature know that we vote and will be watching what they do to rotect all children. I hope that the elected members of the Jefferson County Board of Education aren't too attached to their jobs. These proposals are an assault on Catholic education. At a time when the public schools should be looking at ways to improve their own product, they are instead trying to damage the alternative. Any members of the political class that doesn't stand up to stop this nonsense will earn my everlasting disdain.
    How could a proposition that has to do with sports damage Catholic education?I find that to be a quite curious inference!I can't even see how it would damage the sports aspect as the private class would obviously be considered THE class. Accusing pro prop 20 people of bigotry is ridiculous!(I know you did't say this but many on this thread have)There is not a Catholic high school in my town but there are many Catholics,some who are my and my childrens very best friends.I played sports with them growing up, attended the same schools as have my children.

Top