SRO stood outside Parkland while shooting occurred has resigned

Page 3 of Access Denied The armed deputy assigned to the campus of a Florida high school during a deadly shooting last week stayed outside the building during th... 142 comments | 4812 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31
    Hellcats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 14
    Posts
    5,767

    At least two school personnel and one officer were assaulted and received minor injuries Thursday during a fight at Scott County High School, according to school district and police officials.
    Superintendent Kevin Hub said that a teacher and an administrator were injured trying to break up the fight. The fight involved four to six female students. The students were disciplined in accordance with the district’s code of conduct, Hub said.

    Read more here: Girls face charges after large fight injures Scott County staff, officer | Lexington Herald Leader

    Then there is this.

    Things don't go the way you think.
    Advertisement

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    1,033

    I agree that something needs to be done in reference to school shootings. But presently as parents, we send our most precious of family members to school and leave them under the authority and guidance of individuals that we as a society pay pennies on the dollar. We then expect these miraculous feats of learning and growth and development as we strip teachers of any power to discipline troubled kids. Now in addition, we would like a little more from you guys....we need you to be trained on weapons and the use of said weapons. We will train you on how to take down these gunmen. We are asking a lot from teachers on this one I believe.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    25,561

    Quote Originally Posted by dognation2 View Post
    I agree that something needs to be done in reference to school shootings. But presently as parents, we send our most precious of family members to school and leave them under the authority and guidance of individuals that we as a society pay pennies on the dollar. We then expect these miraculous feats of learning and growth and development as we strip teachers of any power to discipline troubled kids. Now in addition, we would like a little more from you guys....we need you to be trained on weapons and the use of said weapons. We will train you on how to take down these gunmen. We are asking a lot from teachers on this one I believe.
    I feel so bad for people going into the teaching profession these days, it now carries so much more baggage than it once did.

  4. #34
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    152,672

    Quote Originally Posted by dognation2 View Post
    I agree that something needs to be done in reference to school shootings. But presently as parents, we send our most precious of family members to school and leave them under the authority and guidance of individuals that we as a society pay pennies on the dollar. We then expect these miraculous feats of learning and growth and development as we strip teachers of any power to discipline troubled kids. Now in addition, we would like a little more from you guys....we need you to be trained on weapons and the use of said weapons. We will train you on how to take down these gunmen. We are asking a lot from teachers on this one I believe.
    You are right, it is A LOT to ask. But arming teachers should only be the last line of defense and only a small part of the solution.

    Nearly every school I know of is an extremely Soft Target and it is blatantly obvious to me that we (the USA) are NOT taking this issue seriously because if we were we would have a minimum of three to four highly trained soldiers/police officers/super humans assigned to every school in America until we figure out the long term solutions.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by 75center View Post
    I feel so bad for people going into the teaching profession these days, it now carries so much more baggage than it once did.
    We expect them to be all things to out kids, part parent, disciplinarian, teacher, morality police, and personal protection. I think this also opens up opportunity for grieving families then to place the "blame" on teachers when their child isn't saved. I think this also opens up some potential for conflicts when a teacher doesn't feel he or she should have a gun. If they lose a student to a gunman, does that mean they are derelict in their duty?

    I just don't see how this is fair. Police have extensive training and their jobs are designed so they are pretty much always on alert. Yet we want a teacher conducting classes to also be on the alert? I just hope my daughter in law leaves teaching at this point.

  6. #36
    littleluck55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    5,812

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Reading this thread makes me wonder why anyone thinks allowing teachers to have weapons in school is a possible solution or deterent.
    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    I realize many people would disagree with me but if we are going to contain school shootings it will have to be a multi-faceted approach and one of the last lines of defense will be armed teachers barricaded inside their classrooms taking up a defensive position with a gun.

    In short, the doorway into a classroom is the perfect choke point to kill an attacker.
    100%. Arming a teacher, by itself, is not going to stop school shootings. It is another deterrent and a last line of defense. It's going to take multiple steps to make a school safe as possible. And I don't think every teacher needs to be carrying a weapon. I think there is enough teachers/staff at every school that already have a CCW permit that would be willing though.

    And this SRO should pay back every penny he ever made being the SRO. I can only imagine what he was thinking, but he took a job whose main duty is protecting the children and didn't do his job.

  7. #37
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    152,672

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellcats View Post
    Then we need another word.
    Excellent Hellcats!

    I challenge ANYONE here at BGP to come up with a single, better word to describe these type of criminal acts than Terrorism.

  8. #38
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,291

    Hatred.

    Evil.

    What do I win?

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    It's not where I live, It's what I live for
    Posts
    16,369

    Cowards

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    1,033

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    You are right, it is A LOT to ask. But arming teachers should only be the last line of defense and only a small part of the solution.

    Nearly every school I know of is an extremely Soft Target and it is blatantly obvious to me that we (the USA) are NOT taking this issue seriously because if we were we would have a minimum of three to four highly trained soldiers/police officers/super humans assigned to every school in America until we figure out the long term solutions.
    I'm with you, something has to change....my wife is a school teacher and her knowledge and experience with a weapon is drastically changing as we speak. I decided without her consent that she will be trained on using a hand gun. This is where we are right now as a society in our school systems. There are more levels to the school's problems than we probably would like to visit and talk about as a society. We have to come up with something though, I just don't know if gun toting teachers is the absolute answer.

  11. #41
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    152,672

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Hatred.

    Evil.

    What do I win?
    Quote Originally Posted by TAC View Post
    Cowards
    All generic terms that could apply to a lot of things/people.

    No one is going to be able to do it because there isn't any better word but I am all about the journey.

  12. #42
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,291

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    All generic terms that could apply to a lot of things/people.

    No one is going to be able to do it because there isn't any better word but I am all about the journey.
    Sure there is, you just aren't willing to consider anything else. You've already made up your mind and that's that.

  13. #43
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    152,672

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Sure there is, you just aren't willing to consider anything else. You've already made up your mind and that's that.
    Is that right?

    I can hear the news reports, there was an act of hatred today at any school USA or there was an act of evil today at any school USA or there was an act of cowards today at any school USA.

    None of those single words come close to accurately describing this better than the word Terrorism.

  14. #44
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,291

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    Is that right?

    I can hear the news reports, there was an act of hatred today at any school USA or there was an act of evil today at any school USA or there was an act of cowards today at any school USA.

    None of those single words come close to accurately describing this better than the word Terrorism.
    Terrorism implies a political agenda, which there wasn't. It's not any more accurate.

  15. #45
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    152,672

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Terrorism implies a political agenda, which there wasn't. It's not any more accurate.
    Not according to dictionary.com.

Top