Split postseason proposal fails in initial vote

Page 3 of A controversial measure aimed at separating the state... 59 comments | 3187 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Location
    Ft. Mitchell Ky
    Posts
    21,150

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity alum
    Today.
    Advertisement

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Mar 03
    Posts
    259

    Thanks. I am guessing the State Bd. of Ed. is going to veto it as would the Gov. and legislature.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    The BOC vote does raise an interesting question. Some on there represent certain regions. Let's say a region voted 90% for the proposal; should the rep had voted the way his regions voted.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Mar 03
    Location
    I like taters...
    Posts
    9,317

    Quote Originally Posted by Cubster
    Go ask Jeffersonville HS in Indiana how Louisville privates recruit their 7th and 8th graders. I know this for a fact.
    I could be wrong here, but to the best of my understanding, 7th and 8th graders are not "High School" students. The KHSAA regulates "High School" student athletes. Public schools have every right and privilege that private schools do in this regard.

  5. #35
    02Ram54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Teddy 4 Heisman
    Posts
    19,296

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    The BOC vote does raise an interesting question. Some on there represent certain regions. Let's say a region voted 90% for the proposal; should the rep had voted the way his regions voted.
    It's called trustee democracy versus delegate democracy. Edmund Burke had some interesting things to say about it. By the by, anyone who calls himself a conservative without reading Edmund Burke or Russell Kirk is like calling yourself a Packers fan without knowing who Lombardi and Favre are.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Louisville, Ky USA
    Posts
    4,521

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    The BOC vote does raise an interesting question. Some on there represent certain regions. Let's say a region voted 90% for the proposal; should the rep had voted the way his regions voted.
    The reason the Board of Control is a separate vote is to save the Know Nothings from themselves. In this case the Board of Control did just what it should. Let's hope the Board of Education shows as much sense. If the public superintendents are not going to get their way, will they now be willing to negotiate in good faith? I know that the privates have been trying to negotiate for a while. I don't think that the public superintendents want to negotiate as long as they believe there is a chance to throw the privates out.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    Raceland, KY USA
    Posts
    2,344

    You cannot blatantly recruit. Private schools think it is OK to go after kids in other school districts?

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by Fastbreak
    I could be wrong here, but to the best of my understanding, 7th and 8th graders are not "High School" students. The KHSAA regulates "High School" student athletes. Public schools have every right and privilege that private schools do in this regard.
    The proposals 4 and 5 to change that, I believe were voted down.

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity alum
    The reason the Board of Control is a separate vote is to save the Know Nothings from themselves. In this case the Board of Control did just what it should. Let's hope the Board of Education shows as much sense. If the public superintendents are not going to get their way, will they now be willing to negotiate in good faith? I know that the privates have been trying to negotiate for a while. I don't think that the public superintendents want to negotiate as long as they believe there is a chance to throw the privates out.
    Wow 198 know-nothings. The privates from my understanding have only been willing to work on this issue since the prop was made not the past 2 years since the issue was first brought up.

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Mar 03
    Location
    I like taters...
    Posts
    9,317

    Quote Originally Posted by Cubster
    You cannot blatantly recruit. Private schools think it is OK to go after kids in other school districts?
    So do most of the public schools I know of. I could name names here, but all that would do is turn into a finger pointing contest... recruiting rules are the same for publics and privates. If there are violations, they should be dealt with firmly. If there are no violations, we need to just play ball.

  11. #41
    02Ram54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Teddy 4 Heisman
    Posts
    19,296

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    Wow 198 know-nothings. The privates from my understanding have only been willing to work on this issue since the prop was made not the past 2 years since the issue was first brought up.
    I think it was a reference to the Know-Nothings of the 19th century.

  12. #42

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by 02Ram54
    I think it was a reference to the Know-Nothings of the 19th century.
    O...my bad.

  13. #43

    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Louisville, Ky USA
    Posts
    4,521

    Quote Originally Posted by 02Ram54
    I think it was a reference to the Know-Nothings of the 19th century.
    Let's hear it for that Manual education.

  14. #44

    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    Southgate
    Posts
    6,592

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    Publics recruit too. Don't lump all the R word with the privates.
    Thank you Lbbc

  15. #45

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    276

    Quote Originally Posted by Cubster
    Go ask Jeffersonville HS in Indiana how Louisville privates recruit their 7th and 8th graders. I know this for a fact.
    Are these 7th/8th graders in Catholic grade schools?

Top