Should Publics Forfeit Against Private Schools?

Page 2 of Originally Posted by rockmom I honestly don't want to speak for them at this point. I'm sure anything I would imagine would be refuted vehemently. I po... 55 comments | 1941 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Quote Originally Posted by rockmom
    I honestly don't want to speak for them at this point. I'm sure anything I would imagine would be refuted vehemently. I posted this "brilliant" observation in another thread:


    Rationalization is a beautiful illusion.
    Not from this public schooler.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Quote Originally Posted by STRIKE3
    ...they wouldn't look us in the eye and I wouldn't blame them.

    Respect is earned, so is trust....some schools seem to demand it.
    ...and others can't figure out how to earn it.

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Mar 05
    Location
    Baseball Field, Watching, Teaching and Talking about Baseball
    Posts
    28,689

    Quote Originally Posted by stickymitts
    ...and others can't figure out how to earn it.
    ...agreed


  4. #19
    bulldog77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 01
    Location
    No. Ky.
    Posts
    3,227

    Why earn it when you can legislate it? That is message we seem to want to send. If you don't like the field . . . go home and pout. Absolutely the wrong message from sports. Work, compete, raise the bar, OVERCOME OBSTACLES and perceived imbalances. All these lessons seem to be lost by the "it's just not fair" crowd.

  5. #20
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog77
    Why earn it when you can legislate it? That is message we seem to want to send. If you don't like the field . . . go home and pout. Absolutely the wrong message from sports. Work, compete, raise the bar, OVERCOME OBSTACLES and perceived imbalances. All these lessons seem to be lost by the "it's just not fair" crowd.
    YUP! Could you imagine explaining to your team why you're not playing a certain other team?

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Any forfeits for this reason should result in a suspension for the school in ALL sports from the KHSAA.

  7. #22
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    Any forfeits for this reason should result in a suspension for the school in ALL sports from the KHSAA.
    I was actually thinking about that. Doesn't the KHSAA have a by-law that if you forfeit more than once, you lose your membership? Or something to that affect?

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by stickymitts
    I was actually thinking about that. Doesn't the KHSAA have a by-law that if you forfeit more than once, you lose your membership? Or something to that affect?
    http://www.khsaa.org/handbook/bylaws/bylaw24.pdf
    Bylaw 24. Forfeits
    Sec. 1) Use of an Ineligible Player
    When a student is declared ineligible, all contests in
    which he/she has played while ineligible shall be forfeited
    to the opposing team except that this may not apply to
    state championship competition.
    Sec. 2) Failure to Play a Scheduled Contest
    When a school fails to carry out its contract to play a
    regularly scheduled contest, the contest shall be forfeited
    to the offended school.
    Sec. 3) Failure to Follow Terms of Contract
    Provisions may be made for a forfeit fee to be paid by
    the school that fails to follow the terms of a contract.
    The Commissioner shall suspend from the Association a
    school that fails to pay during the same season a
    stipulated forfeit fee, and the suspension shall remain in
    effect until the Board of Control removes it.
    Sec. 4) When No Forfeit Fee is Stipulated
    A school failing to engage in a contest agreed upon,
    without giving at least one-week notice to the other
    school, and securing an honorable release, may be
    suspended from membership.
    Sec. 5) Canceled Contests
    When a contest is canceled for any reason, the Board of
    Control shall determine if either school is liable in cases
    where the two schools cannot reach a satisfactory
    agreement.
    (Case situations related to this bylaw appear on pages 19
    through 43 of this Handbook)

  9. #24
    stickymitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 04
    Location
    "Win for Quinn"
    Posts
    19,321

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    Bylaw 24. Forfeits
    Sec. 3) Failure to Follow Terms of Contract
    Provisions may be made for a forfeit fee to be paid by
    the school that fails to follow the terms of a contract.
    The Commissioner shall suspend from the Association a
    school that fails to pay during the same season a
    stipulated forfeit fee, and the suspension shall remain in
    effect until the Board of Control removes it.
    Sec. 4) When No Forfeit Fee is Stipulated
    A school failing to engage in a contest agreed upon,
    without giving at least one-week notice to the other
    school, and securing an honorable release, may be
    suspended from membership.
    So there's a way around suspension from the Association. Why am I not surprised?

  10. #25
    TigerKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Sunny Side of St. Matthews
    Posts
    1,848

    Quote Originally Posted by cshs81
    An EKY coach mentioned that maybe the public schools should forfeit games against private schools. His thinking was that since Prop 20 was overturned, this would be a way to "get back" at the private schools. His logic was that kids go to private schools in order to "be seen". If public schools would forfeit those games, these kids could not "be seen" live or on film.

    1. I'm going to assume that most/a great majority of the other coaches will write this off as nonsense.

    2. Lets assume that a kid really does go to "be seen". If he is seen and gets a scholarship, isn't that a good thing?

    3. What's the message being sent here?

    4. I'm guessing some, if not many, private schools bring a good crowd to away games. Wouldn't this hurt revenue, thus, hurting football and other sports at public schools.
    Yes, I love it St. X won state last year with all of 0 div 1 players in their senior class. What a clown!

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by TigerKat
    Yes, I love it St. X won state last year with all of 0 div 1 players in their senior class. What a clown!
    I am not asking this to be a smart alec because I honestly do not know. How many of St. X's players went to a college other than DI? How many football players in the entire state of KY went DI?

  12. #27
    TigerKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Sunny Side of St. Matthews
    Posts
    1,848

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    I am not asking this to be a smart alec because I honestly do not know. How many of St. X's players went to a college other than DI? How many football players in the entire state of KY went DI?
    I know a couple walked on at UL and one went to Dayton.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Being a role model
    Posts
    34,456

    Quote Originally Posted by TigerKat
    I know a couple walked on at UL and one went to Dayton.
    You said they had 0 D1 students. I assume you are meaning scholarship D1 students.

  14. #29
    TigerKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Sunny Side of St. Matthews
    Posts
    1,848

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    You said they had 0 D1 students. I assume you are meaning scholarship D1 students.
    I am talking about Senior football players. This year they have 1 and maybe 2 next year.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Nov 02
    Posts
    55,091

    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesbballcoach
    You said they had 0 D1 students. I assume you are meaning scholarship D1 students.

    Yes.....anyone remember the Trinity team with DeQuese May, TaShawn McBroom and company? I think DeQuese May was the only D1 scholarship player, to Villanova. I know TaShawn McBroon is at Alfred State. He's on several stats leaders lists in the NE Football Conference.

Top