Should police departments require a 4 year college degree for employment?

Page 5 of According to a publication called "Police Quarterly," there is a public debate that has gone or for a some time over whether or not police de... 73 comments | 3116 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #61
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    54,069

    Quote Originally Posted by halfback20 View Post
    You realize that very rarely happens, right? You make it seem like police everywhere are oblivious. Most of those videos get recycled 100 times which makes it seem more frequent. And a lot of the idiots making those videos aren't all that knowledgeable of the law either. Yes they can film, no they can't interfere. Some of them cross that line. (I should say, some of the police in these videos are not the smartest either) One other thing to note about these videos is they usually do not capture the entire incident. That's most likely by design. Cop blockers want to paint a picture...They don't want the entire incident on film.

    The best one is the idiot that tried to take his camera in a court room and Deputy P Barnes wasn't having any if it.
    I don't disagree with anything in the first paragraph. I'm struggling with your last part, though. I've taken thousands of pictures in courtrooms. Did I break a law somehow that nobody else knows about? Why wasn't I bounced? Why did I even get in the courtroom to begin with? Surely I didn't do something I didn't already have the right to do?
    Advertisement

  2. #62
    halfback20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    52,151

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post

    I don't disagree with anything in the first paragraph. I'm struggling with your last part, though. I've taken thousands of pictures in courtrooms. Did I break a law somehow that nobody else knows about? Why wasn't I bounced? Why did I even get in the courtroom to begin with? Surely I didn't do something I didn't already have the right to do?
    Video camera. You are aware that cop blockers use video, not pictures right? And most court rooms prohibit video cameras unless the judge says it's ok.

    Just search P. BARNES on YouTube and I'm sure you will find it

  3. #63
    capt278's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 08
    Posts
    4,318

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    I don't disagree with anything in the first paragraph. I'm struggling with your last part, though. I've taken thousands of pictures in courtrooms. Did I break a law somehow that nobody else knows about? Why wasn't I bounced? Why did I even get in the courtroom to begin with? Surely I didn't do something I didn't already have the right to do?
    It's a decision by the Chief Circuit Judge in Kentucky. If he/she says no cameras in the courtroom, there are no cameras in the courtroom. Example, our Chief Circuit Judge does not allow cell phones in the courtrooms.

  4. #64
    LIPTON BASH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    10,051

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    It would keep dumb people from making life-or-death decisions. I'm of the opinion that educated people will do a better job with those difficult decisions.

    Why is it such a bad idea to keep morons from having carte blanche for killing people?
    I'm not buying college makes someone better prepared to be a cop.

  5. #65
    capt278's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 08
    Posts
    4,318

    Quote Originally Posted by LIPTON BASH View Post
    I'm not buying college makes someone better prepared to be a cop.
    Kentucky has one of the most stringent training programs for police officers. It is nationally recognized as such. It's 22 weeks in length and focuses on job specific tasks.

  6. #66
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    20,488

    Quote Originally Posted by capt278 View Post
    Kentucky has one of the most stringent training programs for police officers. It is nationally recognized as such. It's 22 weeks in length and focuses on job specific tasks.
    That's just state police isn't it? City police and sheriff deputies go through a 16 week training don't they?

  7. #67
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    20,488

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    I'm sorry for all of you who don't want to hear this, but I'm really not. I feel as though our security as a people, in general, should not be left up to dolts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    It would keep dumb people from making life-or-death decisions. I'm of the opinion that educated people will do a better job with those difficult decisions.

    Why is it such a bad idea to keep morons from having carte blanche for killing people?
    I just want to make sure I understand what your saying.

    If someone doesn't go to college then they are dumb and a dolt? And you are only qualified to make a life-or-death decision if you went to college?

  8. #68
    capt278's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 08
    Posts
    4,318

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    That's just state police isn't it? City police and sheriff deputies go through a 16 week training don't they?
    No, all go through 22 weeks. Increased from 18 a few months ago.

  9. #69
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    20,488

    Quote Originally Posted by capt278 View Post
    No, all go through 22 weeks. Increased from 18 a few months ago.
    Didn't realize that. Do all go through the same program or does state still have their own?

  10. #70
    capt278's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 08
    Posts
    4,318

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    Didn't realize that. Do all go through the same program or does state still have their own?
    KSP, Lexington and Louisville have their own academies. Everyone else, to my knowledge, goes through EKU.

  11. #71
    halfback20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    52,151

    Quote Originally Posted by capt278 View Post

    No, all go through 22 weeks. Increased from 18 a few months ago.
    I believe KSP, Lexington and Louisville are 23+ weeks.

  12. #72
    capt278's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 08
    Posts
    4,318

    Quote Originally Posted by halfback20 View Post
    I believe KSP, Lexington and Louisville are 23+ weeks.
    Per KSP website, theirs is 23 weeks. Lexignton is 33 weeks per their website. Louisville is 24 weeks per their website.

    Seems like all Kentucky officers are getting good training. That's just recruit training too. Then there is a 15-20 week Field Training program.

  13. #73

    Join Date
    Nov 14
    Posts
    749

    Quote Originally Posted by halfback20 View Post
    Video camera. You are aware that cop blockers use video, not pictures right? And most court rooms prohibit video cameras unless the judge says it's ok.

    Just search P. BARNES on YouTube and I'm sure you will find it
    I understand that video is up to the judge. No one me, you, police, has the right to privacy in a public place. A park or walking down the street. That is even the case in a public building.

  14. #74
    halfback20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    52,151

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang75 View Post
    I understand that video is up to the judge. No one me, you, police, has the right to privacy in a public place. A park or walking down the street. That is even the case in a public building.
    I never said otherwise

Top